96 cobra swap into 64 ford

+ Reply to Thread

Default 96 cobra swap into 64 ford

Group
    Using a driveline from a 96 cobra mustang including complete wiring harness. Can I run the motor without the factory cluster installed ? And is it possible to get the 64 gauges to read off the 96 motor with different sending units?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

The engine will run without the factory gauges. It's been a while but I can't remember if you have PATS in your system or not. The computer would need to be retuned if it did because it won't work. Look up Ron Francis if it does. Your engine has sensors for the gauges as well as others for signal sending to the computer. If you have an AMP meter or light, you can get an adapter for that but you want to read volts. That's easy. The speedometer will have to be reworked to work with the factory setup because you will need a VSS that is attached to the speedometer cable. The fuel gauge is run off Ohms and depends on the differences for the years. I just went with a new set of gauges in the factory panel on my 63 fairlane that come with digital water, oil, volt, fuel and speedometer . The speedo reads off the VSS too and is adjustable. Look up Dolphin gauges. Your biggest problems are going to be the oil pan and headers. If it's a Galaxie, You'll have to flip the oil pan around for a front sump setup and build your own motor mounts for it. The headers, you'll have to build a log style setup unless you can weld up and make some funky pipes that wrap thru stuff. I did a log setup but never ran the car. I had to sell it all because I had to move. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Got the mounts built and using the
    Factory manifolds with no issues.

What about the ignition switch ?
    I have the ecu flashed so
    Pats is off, but would like to use the factory 64 ignition switch to
    Turn the car on. But the 96 uses a slide type switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

You can use the factory switch. I do. Just cut the wires from the switch and wire them on the round 64 switch. Acc/Start/Ignition and power. Easy to do. If PATS is turned off, you don't need any wires from it. It should be disabled in the PCM to not require any wires at all.

7. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread