Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Cast Iron T-Bird Differential Center Section - Yay or Nay?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cobraracer46 
#1 ·
I'm doing an IRS swap on a fox body and it will be a street strip car. I'm gathering all the parts for the swap individually so I don't even have a diff yet. Should I start with a cast iron T-Bird housing? I've read very little regarding the cast iron housings, seems like most guys are making the aluminum housings work. Only one guy on here broke the ears off his aluminum, then went to cast iron, but the gears in his cast iron start making noise (maybe improperly setup?) and then he went back to an aluminum diff.

#2 · (Edited)
Noisy gears are gears that were not set up correctly. Cast iron housings as delivered from Ford did not have noisy gears — go figure.

Cast iron housings are very similar to aluminum housings other than the obvious casting differences for aluminum. Cast iron tends to be stronger than aluminum for components of similar dimensions. Cast iron is heavier than aluminum.

Based on these differences you should be able to select a housing material that best suits your needs.

Ed

#3 ·
The biggest issue with the T Bird cast iron center section is availability because its close to impossible finding one. Perhaps some one can step up and make some chips fly in a CNC machine and produce a 300M billet steel Ford 8.8 IRS center section.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.