M10 Side Bolt Upgrade - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Senior Member Array RussZTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    I’m glad I did this. For my Teksid, I upgraded to the 05 9mm ARP side bolts from the 8mm oem.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussZTT View Post
    I’m glad I did this. For my Teksid, I upgraded to the 05 9mm ARP side bolts from the 8mm oem.
    The 9mm WAP block generation fasteners are a definite step up from the original factory 8mm hardware, Russ.

    These 10mm side bolts are as much better than the 9mm fasteners as the 9's were compared to the 8's. Definitely worth the effort if you have the engine apart.


    Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 03-06-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

  4. #18

    Default

    Guess I'll be doing this with my Aluminator build!!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Senior Member Array RussZTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    Engine is already together. I got the 9mm because I was going to do the larger main studs and felt going to a 10mm with the larger studs would be close in clearances. I decided to stick with the regular size ARP main studs and just kept the 9mm. Not as good as the 10mm but better than the 8mm.

    Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    The 9mm WAP block generation fasteners are a definite step up from the original factory 8mm hardware, Russ.

    These 10mm side bolts are as much better than the 9mm fasteners as the 9's were compared to the 8's. Definitely worth the effort if you have the engine apart.


    Ed

  7. #20
    Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Blue state
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Cobra Engineering just released a new Teksid Steel Main cap set that comes with ARP M10 side bolts.


    Form Cobra Engineering:

    "Teksid block main cap!

    These are billet steel and have M10 x 1.25 side bolt threads.
    These upgraded bolts do fit in the jack screws
    with no modificaton needed.

    ARP side bolts and washers included.
    $625 "

    http://www.cobraengineering.net/main.html

  8. #21

    Default

    James does very nice work. As is so typical of his product offerings these are like jewelry. It is a shame they are hidden inside where they become invisible.

    These are great upgrades for Teksid blocks with the smaller cast main caps using the 8mm side bolts and jack screws. The billet steel construction and 10mm side bolts are a welcome upgrade to the less robust OEM caps and small side bolts.

    By way of side bolt fastener comparison an 8mm grade 8 bolt has a torque spec (depending on manufacturer) of between 20 and 24 ft/lbs with a total of 5500 to 5800 lbs of clamping force. The 10mm 8740 ARP bolt has a torque spec of 65 ft /bs with a 11,305 lbs of clamping force — more than a 100% increase in clamping force and you have the strength of billet steel in the main caps.


    Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 06-04-2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

  9. #22

    Default

    Now I just need one for the late model Aluminator blocks!

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  10. #23

    Default

    Not really, Rob.

    These will work in Teksid or Aluminator blocks. I personally prefer the Aluminator blocks but the Teksid has been a long standing go to block for the high power applications. The Teksid mains are cast and are narrower than the billet alternatives that James offers. That doesn't mean you can't modify the Teksid caps for the 10mm fasteners but when you are done they will be thin in the side bolt area and you will probably be essentially the same price as if you had gone the stronger billet cap route. My suggestion would be do the billet upgrade and do not look back — you will be very happy. BTW the 10mm side bolts slip right through the center of the jack screws making for a very nice final assembly


    Ed

  11. #24
    Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Blue state
    Posts
    390

    Default

    I feel lucky that my 2001 SVT Cobra came from the factory with a Teksid block. Ford must have purged their stock of of the "good" Teksid blocks sometime in mid 2001 before switching over to the less
    desirable Windsor aluminum plant block. AT any rate, buying the Cobra Engineering billet steel main cap kit looks like a no brainer mod to me.

  12. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Not really, Rob.

    These will work in Teksid or Aluminator blocks. I personally prefer the Aluminator blocks but the Teksid has been a long standing go to block for the high power applications. The Teksid mains are cast and are narrower than the billet alternatives that James offers. That doesn't mean you can't modify the Teksid caps for the 10mm fasteners but when you are done they will be thin in the side bolt area and you will probably be essentially the same price as if you had gone the stronger billet cap route. My suggestion would be do the billet upgrade and do not look back — you will be very happy. BTW the 10mm side bolts slip right through the center of the jack screws making for a very nice final assembly


    Ed
    Wow ed, I was not aware of the interchangeability between the caps. Thanks!

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  13. #26

    Default

    You can put almost any cap anywhere if it dimensionally fits the cap saddle in the block and you align bore / align hone the finished assembly.


    Ed

  14. #27

    Default

    Damn!
    One more thing to add to my list for my Aluminator build!

    Ken

  15. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12