Nama time 2002 GT with 11/1 compression

+ Reply to Thread

I have recently purchased a Bama sct tuner from American Muscle. But they don’t provide a tune for 11/1 compression. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I finally purchased my new engine but. I need to at least start the car before I get it to the dyno and make sure it all works. So I’m not waisting time and money. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by mpks92; 03-05-2020 at 02:22 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

The BAMA gizmo has been the cause of multiple engine failures because it has a limited universe of applications, usually limited to very lightly modified or not modified at all engines. It is improbable it would work with your modified engine. You will need an aftermarket tuning package like HP Tuners.

When you look at the price of the aftermarket products you will find you can buy an MS3Pro PnP ECU that plugs right into your existing wiring harness replacing the stock ECU. The MS3Pro comes with a complete tuning software package and data logging package for $1.359. Most aftermarket tuning s/w will cost you about $700 to $800 and be woefully lacking in tuning capabilities compared to the aftermarket MS3Pro. Read the write up on page 1 of the 03/04 Cobra forum.

Ed

I have an appointment to have it dyno tuned. but I need to make sure it runs before I get down there. So I was just wanting a tune that would work to get it started and make sure everything functions as it should. So if theirs anyone who knows of a company that can email a tune that would be most helpful. really just need to give them injectors and maf along with engine specs to make it run properly. The rest the dyno tuners can do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

If all you want to do is give your tuner the injectors, MAF and engine specs then you do not need tuning s/w. You do need to know what injectors you are using — tuning software will not tell you that. You do need to know which MAF you are using — tuning software will not tell you that. You do need to know your engine specs and again, you guessed it — tuning software will not tell you that.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    If all you want to do is give your tuner the injectors, MAF and engine specs then you do not need tuning s/w. You do need to know what injectors you are using — tuning software will not tell you that. You do need to know which MAF you are using — tuning software will not tell you that. You do need to know your engine specs and again, you guessed it — tuning software will not tell you that.

Ed
    So what do I need so I can at least start the car to make sure it all works before i send it to the dyno? As i would be surprised if the stock programming will start it with the 90mm sct maf and 11-1 compression as well as the 24lb injectors.

Should start fine. Probably not run very well and likely be lean enough to hurt the engine.

You are in the deep end of the swimming pool without water wings and no ability to swim. I would get a trailer and tow the car to your tuner. Tell him the build specs and let him select injectors and any other stuff it needs and then tune it for you.

Ed

I found a tuner that will get me a start up tune via email. That way it can be ran long enough to make sure it’s all working and fluids filled. They call it a level 1 tune since I’m not supercharged or turbocharged. Another 200.00 bucks but at least I’ll know it all works before I trailer it to the dyno. And then I don’t waist there time or mine in particular my money. Lol. Thanks. Any other help highly appreciated.

Unless you have already failed in an attempt to start it you should try to start it. Probability is that it will start — unless you have the wrong ECU strategy. If it does, it saves you $200. Drive it on your trailer and take it to your tuner. If it doesn't start, then you know what to do.

You appear to be playing poker at a table where you are either unfamiliar with or do not know the game being played. Just because you can afford to buy something doesn't mean it is a smart thing to do, especially if it requires custom care and handling that you are unfamiliar with and/or have never done before. This is how so many vehicles and or major components end up in the for sale forums with a preface that goes something like this, "Excellent "xxxx" like new, never / rarely used some components still in their original boxes. Decided to go a different route."

Individual prices follow with a winner takes all price for everything that is usually around $0.50 on the dollar before you get close to finding a buyer and frequently even less when it finally sells. Your questions indicate you are in the deep end of the swimming pool and you don't know how to swim. If you really hate money and are intent on setting it on fire, at least put it in the barbecue where you can use it to cook something.

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 03-12-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

I get what your saying. I was gonna see if it started first. As for the Bama tuner I was miss led. I told them my plans and they said they could tune it then after I purchased the motor put all my new parts on it they told me they don’t do 11-1 compression. Which really I did not really care if it was 11-1 or 10-1. Just wanted more power and keep it simple which now I see was not the case. Lol. Should have done the termi swap. Lol. And I like money don’t want to waste it. So fingers crossed it starts runs decent enough to put on the trailer. Thanks

Just to let you know I did get a tune from VMP performance and its basically just to break it in a bit maybe 200-300 miles. Then change oil again and send to dyno. Started it today and it runs great to this point i have only taken it on a short drive and several warm ups while just sitting to make sure there were no leaks etc. No engine lights on as well. Made sure thermostat opened, fans kicked on and heater blows hot air. Dyno will be later this month if there open, will call them later this week to make sure. If not, it will wait. As for your earlier responses I appreciate the little bit of help you gave me, but I don't appreciate your snarky analogies. Not sure who left you at the alter but let it go.

Nothing snarky about the analogies. Just years of experience watching people get in over their heads and ruin otherwise good parts. You were and potentially still are headed down that same path. Did you ever notice when you buy a brand new 700+ HP Detroit performance car it doesn't come with a break-in tune? Did you ever think about why that might be. Now, did you ever think about why your much less powerful engine needs a break-in tune?

You're in a poker game that you don't even know the rules of. That is the formula for an unhappy[ppy ending. Rather than calling you names the examples are selected to allow you to better see the outcome of il informed choices using simplistic examples you likely are familiar with. Nothing wrong with saying I don't know, that's how you get help. Embracing ill conceived solutions to issues that do not make a difference ignoring those that do is the formula for failure. You should be thankful only you feelings were hurt. Had it been your wallet the pain would have been much worse.

Ed

It’s a full tune. I could use it. But I am going to dyno it to get full potential and protect my investment. So that it will actually get broke in on the dyno so they can see and watch air and fuel, temps etc. so when I say a break in tune that’s really incorrect on my end as it’s really just to start it and be close to air fuel ratio etc, as my maf and injectors are larger. It’s not gonna get broke in by me driving it. I can’t really do 10-15 pulls shutting it down to cool off between each pull on a public road without getting unwanted attention. As for not knowing what I have. It’s been researched very well. And I have done everything the engine builder suggested. In fact I got everything from the engine builder with a combo they have used before. I was misinformed on the Bama race tune and the company I bought it from did not advise of the 11-1 compression as a game changer on there end. But as I said in the beginning it was basically to get it running so I can make sure it don’t Have a leak and everything works. I could not have started it without some changes to computer. In this case an actual full tune. As the air to fuel would be way off and likely to lean and I would risk engine failure. Or even to rich and wash the oil of cylinder walls etc. this tune has everything I did to the motor and the blueprints taken into consideration and mapped. It was a little overkill to do so but I don’t want to waste the dyno companies time or my money! I work hard for it, and am not rich by any means. Plus I am the only one who has owned this car and it’s been through a lot with me and I intend to keep it another 18 years lol.

Words have meaning both when we communicate instructions and when we communicate requests for help. When you say,

Quote Originally Posted by mpks92 View Post
    "... I did get a tune from VMP performance and its basically just to break it in a bit maybe 200-300 miles.
    I have no reason to believe you are misrepresenting what you have written — until you give me one. If you play fast and loose with the language you use to communicate your needs / requests you will find that those who respond to you will take your commentary seriously because they believed you were serious when you made the comments. The resulting recommendations will be filtered through that lens.

It is OK to say I need help but don't understand (pick a subject), what should I do? If you approach your challenges in that fashion you will get better answers and resolve the issue(s) you are wrestling with much more quickly. If you engage in the usual illogical internet banter your issue resolution will suffer.

Shops like VMP have remotely tuned many, many Cobra's some running well into the 8 second range. Your high compression n/a engine while significant to you is relatively commonplace to them. You will find their remote tune to be virtually as good as a session on the dyno and less expensive to obtain.

Drop the hyperbole, embrace factual communication and don't embellish the English language when you are in problem solving mode, your results will improve significantly. Try not to loose perspective. Don't forget those 700+ HP Detroit performance vehicles that you buy at a dealership and come with a factory warranty, have no such thing as a break in tune ...

Ed

Just delete my account please. Thanks.

17. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread