Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

4.6 DOHC intake swap

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave R 
#1 ·
I'm swapping my intake from my 93 lincoln to a 96 cobra intake, i have(SHM ported lower stock length runners. Upper cut for single blade throttle body powder coated wrinkle black. Throttle body included., includes mmr imrc deletes)

Any advice on fuel rails, injector changes or ECU issues?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you have fuel rail anchors on the intake manifold that look like the 03/04 Cobra anchor positions/locations you might be able to use the 03/04 Cobra fuel rails from someone like Fore Innovations - very nice stuff. I used to have an 03/04 Mach I intake that I seem to recall the Cobra rails would fit right up to, so there is the possibility your earlier manifold may be able to use them also. A call to Fore might be able to quickly shed some light on this.

If you still have the OEM rails, it is worthwhile noting that Kenne Bell has tested them to some spectacular power levels in the supercharged 700HP range if I recall correctly. That means if you still have the OEM rails or can get a set from a salvage yard you could be several hundred dollars ahead of the game by using them instead of aftermarket stuff. Russel makes a very slick adapter so you can run AN line to the rails and get away from the tiny 5/16 or possibly ⅜ OEM hard line from the fuel tank. Both Jegs and Summit have the part. Here is a link to the fitting at Summit => Russel Fuel Rail Fitting. Summit has the same fitting available in Black or a -6AN instead of a -8AN line size for $5 more.

How large of an injector are you using right now? If you have sized your fuel system for an 80% or so injector duty cycle you should not require any injector changes because you engine's appetite for air will likely not change enough to require an injector size upgrade. The ECU will accommodate the increased appetite for fuel by increasing injector duty cycle to satisfy the increased V[SUB]e[/SUB] appetite for fuel.

Ed

#4 ·
I did the same. I run the stock 96-98 Cobra rails because I wanted to keep the return style setup. I think your setup runs the fuel feed to the passenger side no? Mine was all swapped to a classic and I put my feed and return on the passenger side as the rails needed. Agree that the stock ones can handle tons of power. I'm limiting myself to 500whp so I'm not looking for more and these will do just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.