One bank shows rich on WB with slgiht engine vibration - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Finally some Good News!

I received the coils from Matt above (THANK YOU!) and put a few in #5 cylinder and all is well after a few minutes of testing. I did spark test before and after running the car for a few seconds and the coils still worked. I repeated all tests and pulled coils several times and I checked O2's for each bank and they are within 0.1 of each other. I even unplugged #5 coil and the O2 changed on that bank. So, as of now all is good!!

I will mess around with it in more detail tomorrow and test it for a longer period of time to see if it fails over time but at least right now I have a good baseline and all is working.

ks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Good show but you still need to know what was killing them, Kevin.

Ed

You are very welcome, glad you got them and so far all is well. Maybe the solution was 16yo genuine motorcraft coils?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Good show but you still need to know what was killing them, Kevin.

Ed
    As you know I can't fix what's not broke and fixing electronics that won't act up when I'm diagnosing can be impossible to fix...:(
    I'm hoping that tomorrow will yield some results I can at least narrow down.

I wish I could blame them on old coils but they were brand new.

ks

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    As you know I can't fix what's not broke and fixing electronics that won't act up when I'm diagnosing can be impossible to fix...:(
    I'm hoping that tomorrow will yield some results I can at least narrow down.

I wish I could blame them on old coils but they were brand new.

ks
    Kevin,

I never asked and made the assumption the dead coils were OEM. If they were aftermarket. there is always the possibility they were counterfeit using low cost or inap[ropriate components that failed because they were out of spec. Were the dead coils OEM or aftermarket?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Kevin,

I never asked and made the assumption the dead coils were OEM. If they were aftermarket. there is always the possibility they were counterfeit using low cost or inap[ropriate components that failed because they were out of spec. Were the dead coils OEM or aftermarket?

Ed
    They are Motorcrafts that I bought from RockAuto when I put the Megasquirt in so I hope these are authentic from RA. They have about 300-500 miles on them. If there are aftermarket pieces that are better then I have no issues upgrading but all I've ever read is that the OEM parts are good and no need to deviate from them.

It has survived about 5 miles of driving today, so far so good. I logged the trips and all seems normal..

ks

I think the OEM cops are the best unless you buy something like the IGN-1 or -1A coils that have those 100+ mj thunderbolt outputs. Some of the low cost Amazon and eBay coils are Chinese knockoffs with low quality / low performance internals and are failure prone. Resellers like MS, AEM, Haltech etc all OEM their offerings from the original manufacturer and they are top shelf products. You need to be cautious on eBay and Amazon.

Ed

10. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First 12345