Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pulling my transmission out for 3rd gear repairs i notice that my 26 spline input shaft had some wobble in it when i spun it around, it seems like i read about this happening after breaking a half shaft on a launch well 2 yrs ago i broke a half shaft on a launch but i never notice anything wrong with my tranny until the end of last season when i could not power shift 3rd gear.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
After pulling my transmission out for 3rd gear repairs i notice that my 26 spline input shaft had some wobble in it when i spun it around, it seems like i read about this happening after breaking a half shaft on a launch well 2 yrs ago i broke a half shaft on a launch but i never notice anything wrong with my tranny until the end of last season when i could not power shift 3rd gear.
Be careful in your judgement of the problem. remember that the input shaft has only one bearing supporting it in the front of the transmission. And, that bearing is a tapered roller bearing with inner and outer races. It will not keep the shaft perfectly straight... the pilot bearing in the back of the crank is what keeps the shaft straight. It IS important that the bearing preload be correct, and is dependent upon the end clearance, set by the shim that goes in before the outer race is placed in the trans front cover. Additionally, though, if the end clearance was not set properly upon installation, you can experience more than normal wear on the teeth of the input shaft, and consequently the engaging teeth on the cluster gear. Not only that, but if the end clearance is excessive, it can also cause hard shifts into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gears, because when the sliding synchronizer tries to capture the blocking ring of the desired gear, the whole shaft can try to move away from the synchronizer. Another item that can get worn or broken are the retainer keys in the synchronizer assembly (offered by the likes of D&D, etc) that will affect the 3rd and 4th gear engagements.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts