1987 Mustang GT starting problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Default 1987 Mustang GT starting problem.

I have a 1987 Mustang GT that will not start. it has always been in the garage, and I tried to start it, and it will spin over nicely, just not start. I know it needs 3 things to start, as with any internal combustion engine. Fuel, Air and ignition. So I started at the very back of the car, and you should be able to hear the fuel pump run. There is no sound. So, I think it might be a fuse. Nothing there that relates to the fuel pump. I take each fuse out and replace with a new ones. Still nothing. I am trying to figure out if the connection on top of the fuel pump could be a problem. I am not sure how to get it off. Do you turn it clockwise, as i tried to pull it off and that's a no go. I figure if I can get it off, I can test for volts going to the top of the fuel pump. I really don't want to drop the tank, so I look to the drivers side in the back and there is a switch for from what I am told, is a switch , so if rear ended, it cuts power to the fuel pump. It seems to have 2 positions on it, like on, or off, so I try that. still no noise from the fuel pump. Since I hear no noise from the pump. I assume there is no fuel in the fuel rail. I have not depressed the shraeder valve to find out. Is there something else I might have over looked? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Get a Ford service manual for the year and model you have. It will have complete sections on just about every subsystem in the car. Rather than using a R&R approach to trouble shooting and repair read the relevant service manual subsystem sections and follow the cookie crumbs they leave behind to help you test, diagnose and repair the various subsystems. Alternatively if that sort of stuff is not your cup of tea, take it to your closest Ford dealership and let them fix it for you.

Ed

4. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread