3.4 Whipple Coolant Pipe Clearance

+ Reply to Thread

Default 3.4 Whipple Coolant Pipe Clearance

Name:  crossoverpipe.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  57.5 KB
    Pretty clear issue. What should I do to help with this? I feel like I am missing something obvious. Its a 3.4 Crusher kit. I know they sell delete kits but I also know people have run stock coolant pipes. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Clearance the blower front case. The amount of aluminum you need to remove is very small and does not have a potential for breaking through to the oil in the front case. You can also minimize the amount of clearancing on the blower case by filing the edge of the coolant plug a bit for additional clearance.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'll give it a quick zip with the Dremel. Lightly of course! After this its time to run fuel lines and get a tune for the MS3.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Yep, exactly as Ed said.
    That's how I did a friend's 3.4 Whipple Crusher install. Went so far as to grind a small bevel all the way around the coolant plug to help with removal.

Ken

No need to Dremel the front case. On Ebay they sell a stainless plug that has a 1/8 npt fitting in the center on it. Replace the factory plug with the new one. Then you remove the 1/8 npt fitting to bleed / fill the coolant. Worked perfect on my 3.4.

Here is a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-04-Cobra...-/301201015551

I already had clearanced the case just a touch, but my crossover plug is gross and difficult to remove. I think I might just pick up the one you are talking about just for ease of maintenance. Getting all the air out of the coolant system can be a bear with this motor.

Almost done. Trying to figure out the passenger side fuel rail feed. Its a tight fit underneath the elbow. Excuse the gross engine bay.Name:  scpic.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  102.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by partzman View Post
    Almost done. Trying to figure out the passenger side fuel rail feed. Its a tight fit underneath the elbow. Excuse the gross engine bay.Name:  scpic.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  102.0 KB
    Just feed it from the front.

My problem is just getting a fitting in there. I was going to feed it from the back and return out the front. The AN fitting is doable I think just tight. Either way there needs to be a -8AN fitting back there.

Hate to suggest it but pull the blower and install whatever fitting you need with hose attached first, then install the blower. Make sure you will have the clearance once all installed and make sure the fitting is tight and sealed. If possible, modify a couple wrenches if needed just in case you have to snug it up some after the fact since it may get jostled loose when installing the blower and moving the fuel line around!
    Best to do like I mentioned and pressurize the fuel system if you can before installing the blower for the last time and again once the blower is in place and tightened down.
    I figured that out the hard way (had it all buttoned up and had a small fuel leak) and pulled it all back off lol.

Ken
    Last edited by 4sdvenom; 11-26-2020 at 11:59 AM.

I have come to terms that that is what must be done. The car has a tuning appointment coming up for the MS3 soon so I might just let the shop plumb the rest of the fuel system. Seeing as you have to pin the ECU connector for the Flex fuel anyways.

I'm not sure what those rails look like but on my 2V I hacked off the ends of the rails as much as possible to shorten them then retapped the holes. This was the only way I could get a nice AN fitting installed and now I have plenty of room.

ks

15. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread