Fully flanged iron block main bearings?

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Array painlessauto's Avatar

Default Fully flanged iron block main bearings?

I'm opening my engine up to swap camshafts now that I'm going twin turbo. My combo is a 2005 5.4 iron block, TFS 2v ported heads, 4R100 auto transmission. I've seen fully flanged bearing info on here but it was in regards to aluminum blocks.

Can I ditch the thrust and go with fully flanged upper and lower main bearings for #5? King # 5281SI & 5219SI

Currently running king hp bearings

Thanks
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Sadly Matt the only engine that Ford spec'd a fully flanged #5 upper for was an LNG version of the engine in the early 90's. I stumbled across it entirely by accident a number of years ago while searching for something else. The upper was not only full flanged but it did not have the usual registration tang we have come to expect on bearing inserts. The lack of a registration tang allowed its use in any of the aluminum blocks irrespective of where they chose to locate their registration tang.

That's most of the good news. the bad news is the iron blocks have a different thickness #5 main web and can not use the aluminum block fully flanged #5 upper. That puts you back to the multi piece thrust upper for your block.

Ed

Senior Member Array painlessauto's Avatar

Ed,

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Matt

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread