Troubling T56 or possible clutch issues. Video included

+ Reply to Thread

Default Troubling T56 or possible clutch issues. Video included

https://streamable.com/n39in2

Hey everybody wanted to get some input on a troubling noise I’m having. I bought a 03 cobra a few years back with a really nice build. Guy told me the clutch (McLeod twin disk w/ aluminum flywheel and firewall adjuster and quadrant) had very low miles on it. I started to get some rattling sound from underneath that sounded like a marble in a can and when I did say 4-5th gear pulls it would slip slightly.

The noise seems like more than clutch chatter but it’s my first twin disk car so not to sure. The sound would go away when the clutch was pressed and immediately come back when I let the clutch back out.

Automatically I’m thinking TOB but after I pulled the tranny this weekend the TOB was actually fine. I spun the input shaft with my hand and the noise I was hearing at idle is identical to the noise I hear when I spin the tranny by hand just at a different rate of speed.

Was told it may be a bad clutch and that the guy had the cable way to tight which it was real tight. But the TOB should have been bad in that case I thought. T56 has a 26 spline input shaft and the car is 600hp. I was leaning more toward tranny issue or input shaft problem but idk. The video is by hand so literally imagine that sound at engine idle of say 1k rpm. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it a lot as I am trying to get this squared away before winter is over lol thanks folks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftycobra304 View Post
    ... I spun the input shaft with my hand and the noise I was hearing at idle is identical to the noise I hear when I spin the tranny by hand just at a different rate of speed. ...

When the noise occurs, in the transmission, as you turn the input shaft, you broke something in the transmission.

Time to take the trans to a repair shop or replace it with a T-56 Magnum. Smart money would be on a Magnum. Don't throw good money at an already damaged trans. Once things go bad inside a trans, the metal chips go everywhere in particular between gear teeth and into bearings. The internal damage can be significant. Replace it with a Magnum.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    ... I spun the input shaft with my hand and the noise I was hearing at idle is identical to the noise I hear when I spin the tranny by hand just at a different rate of speed. ...

When the noise occurs, in the transmission, as you turn the input shaft, you broke something in the transmission.

Time to take the trans to a repair shop or replace it with a T-56 Magnum. Smart money would be on a Magnum. Don't throw good money at an already damaged trans. Once things go bad inside a trans, the metal chips go everywhere in particular between gear teeth and into bearings. The internal damage can be significant. Replace it with a Magnum.

Ed
    Hey Ed thank you for responding, as you can imagine this is the worst case scenario I was expecting I’ve been looking at swapping to a T 56 magnum prior to this as I knew my horse power levels were a little high for the transmission I have now. I am not very familiar when it comes to transmission work and I don’t mean to question you but just by listening to the video how sure are you that it is the transmission and can you tell what could be wrong by the sound? The car never had any trouble going into gear shifting gears nothing of that nature. As for fixing it I was considering D&D performance if I couldn’t do a t56 magnum anytime soon. “Decisions decisions “

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

If you can rebuild it yourself then it would be a good idea to tear down the trans and see where the damage is at. A couple of hundred bucks for some bearings and other parts would be a lot cheaper than getting a Magnum if you do the rebuild yourself. If a shop does the trans rebuild, it can get expensive real fast and in that case, getting a Magnum would probably make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cobraracer46 View Post
    If you can rebuild it yourself then it would be a good idea to tear down the trans and see where the damage is at. A couple of hundred bucks for some bearings and other parts would be a lot cheaper than getting a Magnum if you do the rebuild yourself. If a shop does the trans rebuild, it can get expensive real fast and in that case, getting a Magnum would probably make more sense.
    Me and my grandpa plan on tearing it down this weekend just to see what’s up I’m going to get a T 56 book for the tear down. I’m not trying to second-guess anybody’s opinion on what it is I’m just not familiar with transmissions but in the video does it sound like it’s the transmission to you I guess what I mean to say is does that sound normal when I’m turning the input shaft? I was told on another form that this sounds is normal and it’s just the gears turning but it sounds identical to the sound when the motor was running just at a reduced speed

Me and my grandpa plan on tearing it down this weekend just to see whatís up Iím going to get a T 56 book for the tear down. Iím not trying to second-guess anybodyís opinion on what it is Iím just not familiar with transmissions but in the video does it sound like itís the transmission to you I guess what I mean to say is does that sound normal when Iím turning the input shaft? I was told on another form that this sounds is normal and itís just the gears turning but it sounds identical to the sound when the motor was running just at a reduced speed
    The internal assemblies, clearancing, shimming etc, etc on a T-56 is a non-trivial experience. Not saying you can not do it but, if a T-56 is your first manual trans rebuild I would advise passing on it. The monies you spend will likely get spent one or more additional times before you get the reassembly right if you ever do. Some gears have price tags in the $200+ price range. It only takes purchasing a few of them before the price of a Magnum starts to look like a good buy..

When components break in a manual transmission they don't just fall to the botton of the case and stay there. The oil hurricane inside the transmission takes them and blasts them everywhere inside the transmission ó in particular between otherwise good gears destroying them also. The finer particulate matter gets into the bearings and destroys them. In the end the rebuild exceeds your worst expectations ó except you have already spent monies on the replacement parts so you forge ahead.

After a reassembly and installation in the car, a bit of the particulate matter you thought you thoroughly flushed out of the box turns out to have survived your best efforts to get rid of it and re-attacks two of your brand new replacement gears reducing them to rubble once again and the shrapnel from them gets the other gears. This gets old and impressively expensive pretty fast. Right about that time you begin to wonder why you just didn't buy the T-56 in the first place! It was not only stronger, shifted better but did not bring any of the rebuilding baggage like time effort and expense not mention follow on rebuilds.

Of course if you are masochistic there are few endeavors that can approach an amateur rebuild of a T-56, for pain and suffering. Sooooo, all you have to do now is pick your poison and get on with it.

Ed

BTW, the way you know it is the transmission and not the dishwasher in your kutchen, if that the same noise you hear driving the car is now coming out of the transmission on the floor in front of you when you rotate the input shaft, not the dishwasher in your kitchen.
    Last edited by eschaider; 11-30-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Me and my grandpa plan on tearing it down this weekend just to see what’s up I’m going to get a T 56 book for the tear down. I’m not trying to second-guess anybody’s opinion on what it is I’m just not familiar with transmissions but in the video does it sound like it’s the transmission to you I guess what I mean to say is does that sound normal when I’m turning the input shaft? I was told on another form that this sounds is normal and it’s just the gears turning but it sounds identical to the sound when the motor was running just at a reduced speed
    The internal assemblies, clearancing etc, etc on a T-56 is a non-trivial experience. Not saying you can not do it but if a T-56 is your first manual trans rebuild I would advise passing on it. The moneys you spend will likely get spent one or more additional times before you get the reassembly right. Some gears have price tags in the $200+ price range. It only takes a couple of them before the price of a Magnum looks like a good buy..

When components break in a manual transmission they don't just fall to the Botton of the case and stay there. The oil hurricane inside the transmission takes them and blasts them everywhere in Sid the transmission — in particular between otherwise good gears destroying them also. The finer particulate matter gets into the bearings and destroys them. In the end the rebuild exceeds your worst expectations — except you have already spent monies on the replacement parts so you forge ahead.

A bit of the particulate matter you thought you thoroughly flushed out of the box turns out to have survived your best efforts to get rid gf it and re-attacks two of your brand new replacement gears reducing them to rubble once again. This gets old and impressively expensive in very short order. Right about that time you begin to wonder why you just didn't buy the T-56 in the first place! It was not only stronger, shifted better but did not bring any of the rebuilding baggage like time effort and expense.

Of course if you are masochistic there are few endeavors that can approach an amateur rebuild of a T-56 for pain and suffering. Sooooo, all you have to do now is pick your poison and get on with it.

Ed

BTW the way you know it is the transmission and not the dishwasher in the kutchen is the noise is coming out of the transmission when you rotate the input shaft not the dishwasher.
    Guess I’m gonna be in the market for a new t56 magnum. I’ve recently been looking at D&D’s performance installation kit. I will not be alone on the tear down my grandpa is really great at what he did so I feel confident with him watching over the whole thing also going to pick up a T 56 booklet to check out the design. If the problem is nothing crazy bad I’ll have it replaced by a reputable builder but if it gets too bad then t56 magnum it is as you stated how the costs can add up. Thanks again

10. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread