Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing a 4V swap soon. I have figured out how to modify the 01 4V harness to plug into the GT's main connector (C-104). I will need a chip to run this engine. I know electronics and I know some about the engine electronics (old carb guy), I'd like to know more. I will be using a Lightning MAF. A chip burner I may be going with, (not local) has allot of experience, says they can program it with the transfer code for the Lightning MAF. What is the transfer code? (what does it mean?).
There is one local tuner but he is new to Diablo and that is what he uses. He says he can dyno my car and send the results via E-Mail to Diablo and then they send back the program and he burns the chip. Is this a good route to go with? I don't want to be the first car they try to tune (with Diablo). The chip burner I have been talking to (not local) says they have dyno'd hundereds of cars and they wouldn't really need to dyno it. They also said they are real familur with 4V swaps. Can they get it real close without actually dynoing my car? I have posted other Forum's asking if people were happy with them and everyone came back with positive remarks. Most were the driveability was excellent.
Anyway kind of long but any answers, remarks or advice will be appreciated.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Read below :)

lazer2kgt said:
I will be doing a 4V swap soon. I have figured out how to modify the 01 4V harness to plug into the GT's main connector (C-104). I will need a chip to run this engine. I know electronics and I know some about the engine electronics (old carb guy), I'd like to know more. I will be using a Lightning MAF. A chip burner I may be going with, (not local) has allot of experience, says they can program it with the transfer code for the Lightning MAF. What is the transfer code? (what does it mean?). *

What that means is that they will be inserting the MAF function information from a "LIGHTNING MAF" into your processor via a chip.
It's a very normal procedure......without this information your car will not run correctly if you use the lightning maf.

* There is one local tuner but he is new to Diablo and that is what he uses. He says he can dyno my car and send the results via E-Mail to Diablo and then they send back the program and he burns the chip. Is this a good route to go with? *

That answer to that one is "personal preference" on that question. We would hope that you use us at JMS for that function (chip burning)..........but in the end what matters is not who you use......but that your car "works".

*I don't want to be the first car they try to tune (with Diablo). The chip burner I have been talking to (not local) says they have dyno'd hundereds of cars and they wouldn't really need to dyno it.*

Ah.......well......as always it's a good idea to go thru some type of verification process.......either drag strip, vericom.....or rwhp chassis dyno. I doubt that they have done "hundreds of cars with that same exact setup"............I have MAYBE done/seen 25 or so cars NA that use the lightning maf on them........and I do alot of cars.....so that number may be a bit high (now I've maybe done 200 cars that use it and are blown....but thats a different animal)

*They also said they are real familur with 4V swaps. Can they get it real close without actually dynoing my car? I have posted other Forum's asking if people were happy with them and everyone came back with positive remarks. Most were the driveability was excellent.
Anyway kind of long but any answers, remarks or advice will be appreciated.
Scott
*

I would think they could get it close.......I think the last 4V-2V swap setup we did made 320rwhp....so good luck.

I will follow your results...

Chris Johnson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We would hope that you use us at JMS for that function (chip burning)..........
That may be a possibility, I havent bought a chip yet. Maybe I could E-Mail you or something or if I call your shop would I be able to talk to you? The other tuner I've been talking to is only over E-Mail. Sometimes its nice to talk to a real person.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
That is no problem......I have a small staff that handles the phone and can provide you with the help you need reguarding a chip, etc.

If your looking to talk directly to me......thats fine also....I'm just a bit slower to get back to you.......but do return phone calls. When you call you just have to specify that you want me to call you back and leave and number...and the msg should get put in my inbox.

Chris

lazer2kgt said:
That may be a possibility, I havent bought a chip yet. Maybe I could E-Mail you or something or if I call your shop would I be able to talk to you? The other tuner I've been talking to is only over E-Mail. Sometimes its nice to talk to a real person.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Re: Re: 2k GT 4V Swap??

Chris Johnson said:
Read below :)

*

I would think they could get it close.......I think the last 4V-2V swap setup we did made 320rwhp....so good luck.

I will follow your results...

Chris Johnson
Chris,

I believe you are talking about me...I made 317 To the wheels...I got your Chip Through Wicked MotorSports in NJ...

Next up Is Porting and Extrude honing the Intake and Slapping in some 4.30 Gears...

I've been very satisfied with ur work and Cant wait to hit 340 to the wheels with the New Setup...

Also For a N/A Cobra what have you found to be the Optimal Air Fuel ratio???

I have a Buddy of mine who also did the swap but he was very dissapointed in his result with teh RienHart Chip his Air Fuel was at 14:1 and very Jagged...

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Chris, my settup would be real close to Alex's. I like his numbers and he seems real happy with your tune you sent him. I want to stay N/A (most likely for good). The mods I'm looking at doing are-
Air In: WMS Volocity Tube (from MAF to TB), Lightning MAF (do you sell them?), Either a Densecharger CAI (MAF to fenderwell) or a drop in filter (my silenser is trimmed).
Air Out: JBA headers (incase I need to hook up my stock H-Pipe), Offroad H or MAC Prochamber, I have a 2.5" custom catback already. I'll probably get some Steeda pulley's (if there worth it) and gears (most likely 4.10's). I want good driveability and idle. I've heard of idle problems with the VMS volocity tube? Also heard of the car running rich with offroad pipes. Is this something that could be taken care of with the chip? What do you think of these mods?
I would be real happy with Alex's numbers, although he has longtubes. With shorties I will most likely be a few HP short of him.
The tuner I've been talking to (not local) is Fordchip.com, Ive heard good things about them but I can only talk to them over E-Mail. Its nice to actually talk to someone. The local tuner I've talked to is Blood Enterprises in Auburn WA www.bloodenterprises.com He's real knowledgeable but he couldn't answer some of my questions, he said he would have to call Diablo and get back to me. Anyway thanks for your time, I've heard good things about your customer service, wich is inportant.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Ok....I would start off with the stock inlet and move from there....otherwise you don't know what does/doesn't work on your car.

Pulleys work fine......

Rich with offroad pipe?..........what/where was it rich at?......if your talking about that "rotten smell" thats lean not rich.

Blood Enterprises.....I've heard good things about them..........(the next part is my only dealing with them....and I got what I ordered....so no bitch...just the way things are sometimes) The only dealing I have had with them was with some connectors for a DIST setup and Coil packs....They got me the connectors/pins, etc I ordered just fine.....but they didn't send me the "red locking inserts"......so my $150.00 worth of connectors ended up in my "useless pile" (pins dont stay put without the locks).........and I never had a return call on my follow up phone calls for the connectors.......so of course I found another source that was able to supply me with it all :)

Chris

lazer2kgt said:
Chris, my settup would be real close to Alex's. I like his numbers and he seems real happy with your tune you sent him. I want to stay N/A (most likely for good). The mods I'm looking at doing are-
Air In: WMS Volocity Tube (from MAF to TB), Lightning MAF (do you sell them?), Either a Densecharger CAI (MAF to fenderwell) or a drop in filter (my silenser is trimmed).
Air Out: JBA headers (incase I need to hook up my stock H-Pipe), Offroad H or MAC Prochamber, I have a 2.5" custom catback already. I'll probably get some Steeda pulley's (if there worth it) and gears (most likely 4.10's). I want good driveability and idle. I've heard of idle problems with the VMS volocity tube? Also heard of the car running rich with offroad pipes. Is this something that could be taken care of with the chip? What do you think of these mods?
I would be real happy with Alex's numbers, although he has longtubes. With shorties I will most likely be a few HP short of him.
The tuner I've been talking to (not local) is Fordchip.com, Ive heard good things about them but I can only talk to them over E-Mail. Its nice to actually talk to someone. The local tuner I've talked to is Blood Enterprises in Auburn WA www.bloodenterprises.com He's real knowledgeable but he couldn't answer some of my questions, he said he would have to call Diablo and get back to me. Anyway thanks for your time, I've heard good things about your customer service, wich is inportant.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2k GT 4V Swap??

Yeah....that would be you....I would love to know what program you ended on.....and would love to see a few pics of the car, etc.

I don't care what anyone says....320rwhp NA is stout.

As for AFR......it really depends on alot of factors......sensor, location, calibration, etc.......but I know this.....
I prob. wouldn't run it at 14:1.....if everything is calibrated shoot for 13.25-13.5 under the proper load.......concerning your buddy's car.....maybe there is something else in his setup that is causing the problem......

Chips can be the solution........and are easily blamed for bad/low output but maybe that isn't the problem.....parts selection and installation are the two most important things......followed closely by tuneup.

Chris

ac1122 said:
Chris,

I believe you are talking about me...I made 317 To the wheels...I got your Chip Through Wicked MotorSports in NJ...

Next up Is Porting and Extrude honing the Intake and Slapping in some 4.30 Gears...

I've been very satisfied with ur work and Cant wait to hit 340 to the wheels with the New Setup...

Also For a N/A Cobra what have you found to be the Optimal Air Fuel ratio???

I have a Buddy of mine who also did the swap but he was very dissapointed in his result with teh RienHart Chip his Air Fuel was at 14:1 and very Jagged...

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris Johnson said:
Ok....I would start off with the stock inlet and move from there....otherwise you don't know what does/doesn't work on your car.

Pulleys work fine......

Rich with offroad pipe?..........what/where was it rich at?......if your talking about that "rotten smell" thats lean not rich.

Blood Enterprises.....I've heard good things about them..........(the next part is my only dealing with them....and I got what I ordered....so no bitch...just the way things are sometimes) The only dealing I have had with them was with some connectors for a DIST setup and Coil packs....They got me the connectors/pins, etc I ordered just fine.....but they didn't send me the "red locking inserts"......so my $150.00 worth of connectors ended up in my "useless pile" (pins dont stay put without the locks).........and I never had a return call on my follow up phone calls for the connectors.......so of course I found another source that was able to supply me with it all :)

Chris
When you say start off with the stock inlet are you talking about the Lightning MAF and WMS Volocity Tube or just the inlet tubing? The reason I'm thinking of getting the WMS part is I dont have the Cobra inlet tube and I think the WMS part is cheaper and easier to get then the stock tube. As for the offroad pipe I thought I heard they can cause a rich condition, just what I heard not from experience.
I'm superprized you have heard of Blood Enterprises. Do you have a source for the Ford connector parts? I was looking for some myself, I got the pins from a local Ford dealer but I would like to get some connector bodies so I can have a connector for the coil pak wires I had to add so I could hook the 01 harness to the 2000 GT wiring.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Yeah......I did not know you didn't have the cobra stock parts.

You can start off with the WMS part.....

Yeah....I have a "ford" connector source......I get most of the connectors I want with leads, etc so no crimping is needed.....

Chris

lazer2kgt said:
When you say start off with the stock inlet are you talking about the Lightning MAF and WMS Volocity Tube or just the inlet tubing? The reason I'm thinking of getting the WMS part is I dont have the Cobra inlet tube and I think the WMS part is cheaper and easier to get then the stock tube. As for the offroad pipe I thought I heard they can cause a rich condition, just what I heard not from experience.
I'm superprized you have heard of Blood Enterprises. Do you have a source for the Ford connector parts? I was looking for some myself, I got the pins from a local Ford dealer but I would like to get some connector bodies so I can have a connector for the coil pak wires I had to add so I could hook the 01 harness to the 2000 GT wiring.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k GT 4V Swap??

Chris Johnson said:
Yeah....that would be you....I would love to know what program you ended on.....and would love to see a few pics of the car, etc.

I don't care what anyone says....320rwhp NA is stout.

As for AFR......it really depends on alot of factors......sensor, location, calibration, etc.......but I know this.....
I prob. wouldn't run it at 14:1.....if everything is calibrated shoot for 13.25-13.5 under the proper load.......concerning your buddy's car.....maybe there is something else in his setup that is causing the problem......

Chips can be the solution........and are easily blamed for bad/low output but maybe that isn't the problem.....parts selection and installation are the two most important things......followed closely by tuneup.
Chris
I Made that power on the Base Program. Program 2 was just too lean 14.2:1...Now Im not saying it was the Chip...It could have been my Homemade intake...The MAf has fallen off of the Car 3 times...I have since gotten that fixed Im bringing the car in for the the Intake Porting/Extrude Honing and 4.30s...The chip will be sent back to you for further tuning.

Im attaching 2 Pics...One of the Dyno and one of the Car...Sorry if they are too big...



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris Johnson said:
Yeah......I did not know you didn't have the cobra stock parts.

You can start off with the WMS part.....

Yeah....I have a "ford" connector source......I get most of the connectors I want with leads, etc so no crimping is needed.....

Chris
Were do you get them from? (if you dont mind me asking). I added a connector at the back of my intake (so the intake could be removed). It contains 4 coil pak wires and the 2 AC clutch sol wires. I used GM style plugs (same style MSD and Jacobs use) because I could get them locally. Do you think those will be ok for the coil pak wires? The wire size is like 16 or 18 ga. (I cant remember) but they must not carry much current for a wire that size. I was wondering if I should redo it and try to find the Ford style plug. I like the Ford connectors because they are real easy to take apart and remove the pins. I had to add 4 pins to the main connector (C-104). They were AC cl sol wires and coolant lvl wires. Then I had to route 4 coil pak wires to the right front corner of the engine (C-1007) under the MAF. On the Cobra harness the knock sensors and AC clutch sol wires went to the right front connector. The knock sensors are unhooked. This allowed me to use the 01 harness but hook into the 2000 GT harness.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are what I used. Do you think they'l be OK to carry the load of the coil pak wire? Ohterwise I'll have to get a Ford connector (I have pins with pigtails) and redo it. Thanks.
Scott
 

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top