Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well we'll find out I guess....what about timing chain guides will I be able to reuse them as well....I know I'll need to the get secondary chains and tensioners. But will the primary chains and tensioners be a direct swap? Nobody wants to give me a straight answer on that one...it's like they don't want to admit the problem was as simple as that or something.....anyways, thanks DOCHTOR_32V, you've been a great help!

SJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't give you a definate answer on that because I havn't tried it. Best bet is to see if the Part # is the same on the primary chains and tensioners. Let us know.........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't think the part numbers will be the same because there are differences between the guides on the Al and Fe blocks.....

I'm wondering if you can use the GT guides on the GT block with 4v heads and have it work right, or would I have to change the dowl pins and use the "Cobra" guides?

Dunno, just putting it all out there to see if it makes sense.....to me and someone else.....

SJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
My main concern would be the degreeing and or cam timing. If the number of teeth and chain receiver grooves are the same, the cams may still not be timed correctly because of advance or retard at the keyway but that could also be verified. I believe there are bosses for the dowels to use the 4V guides/tensioners.
I would just get the 4V stuff and be done with it. Keep us posted........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good point....I'm going to get the 4v Primary/secondary sprockets because I have '99 cams with pressed on sprockets, but I'm also going to get the primary/secondary chains because the primary chains I have are so old it's probably a good time to replace them anyhow. So there won't be any issues with the advance/retard at the keyway like you are suggesting. I guess it's a wash whether or not the guides will work, which I don't see any reason to why they shouldn't, until I get everything apart and put back together.....

Thanks for talking this out with me! :)

SJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts