Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and have some questions on a motor swap. My GT motor started getting piston knocks and I'm advised to swap out the motor. I'm shipping off to boot soon, and will be in school off and on for 6 months. I plan on having probably 15k to work with, and I want to put a Mach 1 motor in my car, along with MAC Longtube Headers, Dr. Gas X pipe, and either Cherry Bombs or Bassani Exhaust. I know a decent amount about cars, but I'm not an expert. Any advice on what I'm missing? The engine I'm getting is from cjponyparts.com, a crate motor from the throttle body to the oil pan. Any info on chips and tunes would be most appreciated, and if I would need to swap out motor mounts too. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, I know this is a common mock up for most 2v engine owners, however as I said before I don't claim to be an expert on cars. My Mustang is also a 5 spd manual, so I'm guessing for the transmission all I'm going to have to do is a clutch replacement, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you'll also need the wire harness and ecu. not sure of anything else but with that kind of money i'd have my stock short block professionally rebuilt with forged internals (or buy one already done) and top it off with the trick flow package. but that's me to each his own. good luck bro, stay safe and keep your head down, and come back alive.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
you dont need the harness/ecu. In fact, it is easier to keep your 2v harness/ecu than to try to adapt the 4v one. You have to unwrap your 2v harness loom and lengthen a few wires so they reach the sensor locations. You also need to reverse the polarity on the cop wires as the 4v cops have reversed polarity from the 2v ones. You will also need to reflash your stock ECU with a new tune to run the 4v motor.

I do agree that you are better off having a motor built as the mach 1 motor really isnt that much better than a GT motor. If you really want a ford crate motor, I would look into getting an aluminator longblock from tousley ford

1 - 6 of 6 Posts