Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really interested in buying a 4.6L 4v longblock for my '02 gt. What else would I have to upgrade in order for this to work?

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had a pretty good feeling that I needed a chip. I also thought about the tranny. I'm upgrading to a T56 w/ a new drivetrain + tranny mount. But hell, wouldn't a cobra motor fit a cobra tranny? :D

Thanks for the help

BTW: Do you think its worth spending 7500 on a 4v longblock? I have to get a new block w/ internals anyway, but the 2v shortblock I want would only cost 3200. Would it be worth spending the extra money for the 4v longblock?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd build a GT shortblock, the iron block will be more rigid, plus it's cheaper. Then just slap the 4v heads on there. Spend your money on high quality rotating assembly components.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet, I had thought about that, but I didn't know it was possible. I'll get the block to start, and once its time for heads and cams, I'll just go 4v.

Thanks for the help
Alex

BTW: Your TT kit for the 2v looks INSANE, can't wait to see the numbers!

·
Registered
331 Posts
No prob, just hate to see someone waste money (especially me) when it isn't really necessary.

Thanks for the kind words on the 2v kit. Hope to have it wrapped up in 3-4 weeks, then start on the 4v kit. The 4v kit should be a short development cycle as most of the 2v stuff will go right on it.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:damnit I can't wait to see the numbers on the 4v kit, let alone the 2v kit. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
allright this is my plan:
while my car is N/A I'll keep the stock block, but upgrade to 4v heads. What else do I need when I swap? TB? intake manifold? headers? etc? which brings me to my next question:

Which valves, cams, heads, TB, and everything else I need should I go with? I want to be able to run pump gas on a daily driver, and eventually throw on a turbo. I'm not interested in top of the line stuff, just good stuff.

Thanks for all the help!
Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just buy a set of complete 4v heads with the complete valvetrain in them. I bought a used set just like that off the corral with valvecovers for $300. Have your local machine shop check them and make sure they are OK, then slap them on. I'd also use a stock cobra intake and TB.

You will need the timing chain cover, tensioners, guides, chains, etc. off of a 4v also I *think*. You could probably pick those up at www.stangparts.com.

Then later, you can always upgrade the valvetrain to some more aggressive cams, etc. You will need the headers also as the 4v heads have a different exhaust flange on the heads.

That's all I know so far as I haven't done this myself yet, but am doing the same thing. I'm sure there are many others here that have a lot more experience at this than I.

You can always have the heads ported. The main thing is don't spend money on stuff you don't need.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for the info. I can also call my local stang shop and talk to them about it. I'm sure they have dealt with 2v to 4v swaps. Do you think I have any chance of spending less that 4k on this swap? including install? and roughly how much hp do you think I would gain? my car is stock except for mufflers and an air filter. I'm trying to decide on whether to do the turbo first, or the engine first. So I'm trying to assess cost/power.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
Honestly, I don't know what the swap will cost. Someone who has already done it can better answer that question.

If it were me, I would do the motor first though. If you get the turbos, you will be limited as to the amount of power the stock shortblock (pistons, rods, crank) will take...and you'll get used to that amount of power and want to turn up the boost. If you have a built shortblock already, then you can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was aware I needed a built shortblock, I'm just trying to decide if I should spend my money on the block and turbo first, or the head swap. Thanks for all the input
Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ahh, well the turbo system is built around the heads and intake...so I wouldn't get the turbo setup until you had 4v setup done. Understand what I mean? The TT kit for the 4v's is a little different from the one for the 2v's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
oh yeah I forgot about that :(.

Do you think I should spend the extra cash and go 4v? Or just upgrade my 2v manifold, TB, heads, cams, etc? Will there be a big power/boost output difference between 4v and 2v?

Would the stock piston's easily clear the valves w/ an aggresive cam and good timing?

Thanks for the input
Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
Honestly, I'd spend money on a quality, forged rotating assembly and not worry about the rest (intake, TB, etc.).

The '01 Bullitt we have here I expect it to make 700hp at 9psi (600rwhp) using all stock intake, tb, cams, everything.

But since I have a '95 and am going to have to build a mod motor anyway, I'm going with the 4v for my personal car. They just breath better...more air=more power.

It sounds like you are headed in two or three possible directions right now. I can't stress enough how important it is to decide what you want to do with the car and what your hp goals are BEFORE you start buying parts. It will save you so much more in the end vs changing your mind midway through the process.

Just speaking from experience...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm looking for about 500rwhp. That kinda power has to be acheived w/ a blower or turbo w/ the stock displacement right?. If thats the case, I'd go turbo. Initially I was thinking about going 60-1 w/ a whole new motor, but now that I've thought about it and looked at prices, It'd be more pratical to get a T64 w/ a shortblock (I would have to upgrade the bypass and probably the IC) Rad, don't get me wrong dude, your kit looks insane! I simply can't afford it, and am not looking for 600rwhp. I'm gonna go with total performance.

Thanks for all the input.
Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's fine, I completely understand. Ours will make 500rwhp...you just have to turn the boost down. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
knowing me, I'd crank it up to full boost, bust my diff gears, break my axle, blow my tranny, and detonate. :evil

Thanks for all the input dude, can't wait for those numbers.
Alex

·
Registered
100 Posts
subscribing some good info here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts