Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I’m in a little bind on decision making. I originally was going to buy a 99-04 2v new edge mustang to learn to drift. I was always planing to do a 4v swap. However, after further research the swap seems more involved and expensive. (Not my first motor swap)

I have a MMR forged shortblock with the internals rated for 1000hp, built 4V heads, QuickTime bell housing for t56 (don’t have a trans), fuel injectors, cobra ecu and a whipple 2.9L supercharger with the big mouth throttle body.

So my question is more of asking your opinion. I bought everything from a friend for a great price. Should I just sell the motor and all the parts to recoup my money and just have fun with a 2v and possibly just build the 2v motor or keep all these parts and make a monster later? I’m assuming after spending all this money I’m better off just buying a 4v cobra? Swap it into another car? Just looking at options and opinions.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just my opinion.....

I'd ditch the shortblock, but that's due to past experiences with that company. Who did the work on the heads?

Sell the ECU and injectors. You don't need the ECU and if you're going to make more power with boost the injectors won't take you far. If you're going to get serious you'll be better off with a stand alone anyway.

Personally I'd sell the Whipple and go with a centri set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my opinion.....

I'd ditch the shortblock, but that's due to past experiences with that company. Who did the work on the heads?

Sell the ECU and injectors. You don't need the ECU and if you're going to make more power with boost the injectors won't take you far. If you're going to get serious you'll be better off with a stand alone anyway.

Personally I'd sell the Whipple and go with a centri set up.
I was already leaning towards selling the setup. This is why I’m asking for opinions thank you

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
I think you will find the screw blowers will provide you with better power modulation than the centri's. The centri's produce impressive top end power and come on like a banshee in the middle but that is the problem. The screws produce exceptionally high torque at low rpm that is smoothly modulated by the gas pedal and a very linear upwards power output at elevated rpms making it easy to modulate the amount and intensity of tire spin you want. The centri's will absolutely light up the tires but they won't provide the same smooth modulation the screw blowers will.

Modulation issues notwithstanding, if a screw blown 4V looked good enough to spend money on initially, what happened that you now want to sell the parts and pieces you thought so highly of and spent so much for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you will find the screw blowers will provide you with better power modulation than the centri's. The centri's produce impressive top end power and come on like a banshee in the middle but that is the problem. The screws produce exceptionally high torque at low rpm that is smoothly modulated by the gas pedal and a very linear upwards power output at elevated rpms making it easy to modulate the amount and intensity of tire spin you want. The centri's will absolutely light up the tires but they won't provide the same smooth modulation the screw blowers will.

Modulation issues notwithstanding, if a screw blown 4V looked good enough to spend money on initially, what happened that you now want to sell the parts and pieces you thought so highly of and spent so much for?
Well I bought this setup about a year and a half ago. A friend of mine had all these parts and he changed his mind. (He builds/swaps cars constantly). It was a good deal so I bought it knowing I can just resale it for around the same price I bought it for. I’m currently at the ending stages of a 2jz swap 240sx and I just started a 66 Mustang 347 stroker turbo build. Three fully built cars is a little overwhelming in space, time and money so I’m figuring dropping the idea of a 4v build.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts