Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about changing the upper pulley to the 3.1.With the setup I have so far .Any ideas on how much rwhp,tqe I can gain with this setup or should I go with a 2.93 ?? Maybe I should leave well enough alone.?lol .na

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
I have a 3.1. Perfect pulley IMO. I don't know the exact HP numbers, but you WILL notice a difference.

Buy the 3.1 pulley, belt, NGK plugs and puller tool from Rick @ Amazon TODAY!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Really depends on the tune of your Diablo...2.93 only if you do not mind the increased risk of belt slippage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
> Can I get away with the 3.1" pulley? The 3.2" pulley?

Definitely not and probably not. I was at a dyno tune where a 3.1" sans chip was resulting in audible detonation. 91 octane was mentioned as the culprit. Although I cannot speak from experience, I would expect the same from a 3.2".

·
Registered
8 Posts
ox03 said:
> Can I get away with the 3.1" pulley? The 3.2" pulley?

Definitely not and probably not. I was at a dyno tune where a 3.1" sans chip was resulting in audible detonation. 91 octane was mentioned as the culprit. Although I cannot speak from experience, I would expect the same from a 3.2".
91 octane was my biggest concern. One of the guy's from SVTP is running the 3.2" pulley, no chip, and doesn't have detonation. We'll get to see him run on the dyno Feb 1. He said he picked up 25-30 lb/ft trq w/just the pulley and no chip.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I run 310 pulley and get 452SAE RWHP and 450 TQE

mods PHP TB kit and PHP CAI..bassani catted x,mac catback,diablo chip.NGK tr6 plugs.
i use 93 octane.

jim v.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I run a 3.10 pulley on right now and will be installing the chip and lower pulley when I get an exhaust. I have had zero issues with running a 3.10 pulley without the chip. I do run only 93 octane which may be a reason why.

·
400 Posts
I Like the 3.10 pulley the best out of all the combos I use. Can it be done without a chip? I wouldn't do it because with the stock timing and fuel curve the car think you will be at full boost around 3200 rpm. When you add a pulley like the 3.10 you will be at full boost 500 rpm sooner. At that point you have to much timing and not enough fuel. Not a good thing. This creates several problems. One is tip in detonation which is very hard to hear, and the other is wot detonation. The other problem is poor gas that you guys out there have. We did our basic low octane tune with 91 out here on the east coast and modified the programs from there. The gas you guys have out on the west coast is really low octane and not the same as we get. So with all this in mind you must be very carefull.

Rick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Boomer & Hunter,
I run the Rick's, 3.10, chip, CAI and installed Magnaflows, front to back....Best car I have ever owned...There are no drivability issues whatsoever. If anything, the car idles smoother than stock and has never stalled or shuttered when coming to a stop. There is no belt slippage and the car just runs like a raped ape. Unless your on a mission and are looking for that last horsepower, in my book, the 3.10’s the way to go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks Fred, I am leaning towards the 3.10!:) I currently have a 2.8 and a 2.93, both brand new press on pullies, but now I think I would rather have the 3.10 DUB unit.

·
400 Posts
Hey Hunter I can do an interchangable pulley with just a 3.10 on it np. I can do a whole package deal on this setup. Give me a call.

Rick

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rick, if we have 93 octane readily available, would it be ok to run a 3.10 w/o chip or would it be too risky/borderline to chance it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am running a 2.93 pulley w/ no chip all last fall, I had no detonation and my A/F numbers looked better than some people's chipped numbers, however I am getting a chip this season because I wanna bypass several features that ford put on our car to give us grief, plus I should gain some HP... right now I am having horrible belt slip but that will change soon :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
GreyCobra_03 said:
I am running a 2.93 pulley w/ no chip all last fall, I had no detonation and my A/F numbers looked better than some people's chipped numbers, however I am getting a chip this season because I wanna bypass several features that ford put on our car to give us grief, plus I should gain some HP... right now I am having horrible belt slip but that will change soon :)
Beyond A/F the biggest benefit to running a chip is a more aggresive timing curve. I have seen 40 to 100 ft-lbs gained from this mod.

The 4v heads seem much more tolerant of midrange timing than their 2v counterparts. That is to say, I don't think the Lightning owners are seeing these kind of midrange torque increases with a tuned timing curve.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts