Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up guys,
Wow, it's been a long long day!
This is kind of a long story but I'm going to try to shorten it up a bit so I can fill you guys in on what's going on. So one of my customers comes to me a few months back and asks if I would trade him my 2.3 Whipple for his 3.4, and I asked why would anyone ask that? One of the reasons was that he wants to be able to turn the boost down enough to run 91 here in the summer (it gets 110+ degrees here in the summer), and the other one was the "not wanting to run a cowl hood" thing. I've tried to talk him out of it, telling him that he can probably pulley it down enough so he could cruise on 91 if he had to and we can get him K member spacers so he doesn't have to run a big hood but he kept on insisting that he will never "use" all that blower and that he bought it by mistake. I was like...um okay...well I'll think about it...:unsure:

At the time I didn't really want to because I wanted to see if I could run PSCA Limited Street this year, however I looked over some of the rules and I didn't fit in oddly enough (larger than a 80mm MAF and too large of a thottle body):dunno2:. Long story short- I thought about it for a few months after that and I finally gave in to this good deal (well I figured I've already been 9.6's with a 140AX, why not try out the 3.4...and it's already saving me alot of money because the 3.4 is more expensive anyways; and if I still wanted to run PSCA, I can always get smoked by everyone in one of the drag radial classes :rofl:).
However if I were to do the 3.4 I'd have to get the Crusher System to make it worth my while and upgrade the fuel system FOR SURE which isn't cheap. (Which is another reason why I had to think about it for a while. Up to this point I was still on a stock fuel line with GT pumps/BAP and 60's through stock rails with the 140AX! I was already pushing the stock fuel system waaaayyyy too hard which meant big fuel system stuff was in order!)

So after making up my mind after all this time,
I called up Lethal Performance and a gentlemen named Derek helped me and got me all setup with my Crusher System! Thanks Guys! :tip:

So in the mean time, I put my factory crank support back on and I got my fuel system situated by running two -6's from the hat to my new -8 fuel rails as well as ordering the new FRPP SCJ 80 lbs injectors. This new setup is going to use ALOT of fuel so I wanted to be prepared!

And everything starts to show up during the last week with the inlet showing up yesterday.

This is where the fun began ...:bigwink:
Let me say that- the Crusher inlet is big, REALLY BIG, compared to the stock 3.4 inlet...The TB is huge and the MAF housing looks like a Top Hat...:rofl2:

However, the inlet is SOOOOOOOOOO Big, it hits the fuel rail, the fuel rail fittings etc.:mad2:

Good thing I had access to a Bridgeport, because I had to mill out this whole big area (which was paper thin) and add a piece of aluminum pipe half to give me the .350" clearance that I needed to make the inlet fit with the rails and fittings! So after I took the time to mill it out, I had my fabricator work after hours to weld this piece I made into my brand new inlet.:what:

Other than that it, everything else fit well and it comes with everything except gaskets...:hmm:well, I had a sheet of gasket paper around so that wasn't such a big deal.

I haven't installed it onto my car yet but I'm still trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to get to the bolt that goes from the passenger side rear-intake manifold to head. Oh well, it's going to be another day of fun! :thumb2: Anyways, I just wanted to rant a bit and share my progress with you guys...

I'd also like to give special thanks to one of my workers Jessy for stayin' late and giving me a helping hand, and my Fabricator Scott for coming in to weld up my new intake and my loyal customer Mike for wanting a 2.3 Whipple instead of a 3.4 which motivated me and made all this possible.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I can't believe you had to modify that inlet. I was under the impression that Whipple fixed that problem. How long ago did you order the crusher? I thought they were suppose to add enough clearance for aftermarket rails. You shouldn't have had to do that.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Drill a hole in the bottom of the inlet and then the top of the inlet. Tap them both. Stick the extension through and then hopefully get the socket on from underneath. Tighten and then just plug the holes. That's what I've been thinking is the only way to do it. Then you can get to the bolt every time also. If it's just a 1/4" extension you could easily put a 5/16 bolt in it. Or flathead 5/16 bolt.

That was just a thought and I'm not sure if it would work or anyone would want another hole in their inlet. Although if it made it easy to get to that bolt it seems it would be worth it.

Same thing for the new inlets that need the first two bolts tighted from inside the inlet to the rotor case. I'd drill a couple of holes in the back of the inlet to get the Allen wrench through and then plug them afterwards with a pipe plug.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Not one to bash, but they rushed the product to get it out quick. The first one we had to send back, the second there was mad work to get it on and fit. I would not like to do one again, I would do a mammoth first.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
DUUUDE! I wish you have called me about this! The new inlets do fit aftermarket rails, the definitely fit the Fore rails perfect with absolutely no interference, but the fitting... Jim (showme cobra) had the same issue and he had a very simple fix. If I had CPR rails, I would have done the grinding to the fuel rail, there is enough material there, but I would recommend Fore rails anyways. If you have any questions Frank, call me man, I think you made this a bigger hassle than it should have been, lol. You will be happy with the power though, cars going to haul ass.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DUUUDE! I wish you have called me about this! The new inlets do fit aftermarket rails, the definitely fit the Fore rails perfect with absolutely no interference, but the fitting... Jim (showme cobra) had the same issue and he had a very simple fix. If I had CPR rails, I would have done the grinding to the fuel rail, there is enough material there, but I would recommend Fore rails anyways. If you have any questions Frank, call me man, I think you made this a bigger hassle than it should have been, lol. You will be happy with the power though, cars going to haul ass.
+1. No problems at all clearing Fore rails

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I don't see what Fore has to do with this, he doesn't have Fore rails.
The CPR rails were never confirmed to have fit the inlet without modification just like several aftermarket rails that don't fit the mammoth. The Fore rails have. That's what Derek was trying to say. The fitting hitting the inlet at the back or the rail has a fix that doesn't require cutting or welding. It's an XRP 964508 or 984508 45 deg boss fitting.

That's the fix and doesn't require welding when using the Fore rails.

Jared

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a 3.4 CRUSHER on the bench, going in @ two weeks. Waiting for parts. Have some ?s. Who has bolted down a crusher? With or without the inlet,explain any tricks. I know it will be more work than my old 2.3.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
What's up guys,
Wow, it's been a long long day!
This is kind of a long story but I'm going to try to shorten it up a bit so I can fill you guys in on what's going on. So one of my customers comes to me a few months back and asks if I would trade him my 2.3 Whipple for his 3.4, and I asked why would anyone ask that? One of the reasons was that he wants to be able to turn the boost down enough to run 91 here in the summer (it gets 110+ degrees here in the summer), and the other one was the "not wanting to run a cowl hood" thing. I've tried to talk him out of it, telling him that he can probably pulley it down enough so he could cruise on 91 if he had to and we can get him K member spacers so he doesn't have to run a big hood but he kept on insisting that he will never "use" all that blower and that he bought it by mistake. I was like...um okay...well I'll think about it...:unsure:

At the time I didn't really want to because I wanted to see if I could run PSCA Limited Street this year, however I looked over some of the rules and I didn't fit in oddly enough (larger than a 80mm MAF and too large of a thottle body):dunno2:. Long story short- I thought about it for a few months after that and I finally gave in to this good deal (well I figured I've already been 9.6's with a 140AX, why not try out the 3.4...and it's already saving me alot of money because the 3.4 is more expensive anyways; and if I still wanted to run PSCA, I can always get smoked by everyone in one of the drag radial classes :rofl:).
However if I were to do the 3.4 I'd have to get the Crusher System to make it worth my while and upgrade the fuel system FOR SURE which isn't cheap. (Which is another reason why I had to think about it for a while. Up to this point I was still on a stock fuel line with GT pumps/BAP and 60's through stock rails with the 140AX! I was already pushing the stock fuel system waaaayyyy too hard which meant big fuel system stuff was in order!)

So after making up my mind after all this time,
I called up Lethal Performance and a gentlemen named Derek helped me and got me all setup with my Crusher System! Thanks Guys! :tip:

So in the mean time, I put my factory crank support back on and I got my fuel system situated by running two -6's from the hat to my new -8 fuel rails as well as ordering the new FRPP SCJ 80 lbs injectors. This new setup is going to use ALOT of fuel so I wanted to be prepared!

And everything starts to show up during the last week with the inlet showing up yesterday.

This is where the fun began ...:bigwink:
Let me say that- the Crusher inlet is big, REALLY BIG, compared to the stock 3.4 inlet...The TB is huge and the MAF housing looks like a Top Hat...:rofl2:

However, the inlet is SOOOOOOOOOO Big, it hits the fuel rail, the fuel rail fittings etc.:mad2:

Good thing I had access to a Bridgeport, because I had to mill out this whole big area (which was paper thin) and add a piece of aluminum pipe half to give me the .350" clearance that I needed to make the inlet fit with the rails and fittings! So after I took the time to mill it out, I had my fabricator work after hours to weld this piece I made into my brand new inlet.:what:

Other than that it, everything else fit well and it comes with everything except gaskets...:hmm:well, I had a sheet of gasket paper around so that wasn't such a big deal.

I haven't installed it onto my car yet but I'm still trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to get to the bolt that goes from the passenger side rear-intake manifold to head. Oh well, it's going to be another day of fun! :thumb2: Anyways, I just wanted to rant a bit and share my progress with you guys...

I'd also like to give special thanks to one of my workers Jessy for stayin' late and giving me a helping hand, and my Fabricator Scott for coming in to weld up my new intake and my loyal customer Mike for wanting a 2.3 Whipple instead of a 3.4 which motivated me and made all this possible.
Frank,

Sorry to see the issues you ran into with trying to get the rails fit. We definitely would have liked you to call us first before modifying the inlet like you did as I believe we could have helped you resolve the issue without having to do that. So for future reference we as that you PLEASE give us a call so that we can help you with the issues you're having.

Thanks a bunch and please post results once you get the car tuned.

Jared

·
Registered
681 Posts
The CPR rails were never confirmed to have fit the inlet without modification just like several aftermarket rails that don't fit the mammoth. The Fore rails have. That's what Derek was trying to say. The fitting hitting the inlet at the back or the rail has a fix that doesn't require cutting or welding. It's an XRP 964508 or 984508 45 deg boss fitting.

That's the fix and doesn't require welding when using the Fore rails.

Jared
thanks for the clarification, i am one step from getting the crusher, spent many nights at safeway asking for change and have got the money together, as far as i know i am using cpr rails cause its what i got on the shelf, maybe let them sit there and get some fore rail ? not sure?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are the 80lb injectors the same height as the stock? I thought they were taller or at least they are on the gt500 so the problem might not be with the rails just too tall of injectors. Anyways glad you got her squared away!

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Are the 80lb injectors the same height as the stock? I thought they were taller or at least they are on the gt500 so the problem might not be with the rails just too tall of injectors. Anyways glad you got her squared away!
The 80's are the same height as the stock 03 Cobra 39's and Siemens 60's.

Hope that helps.

Jared

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I cannot seem to understand why all these inlets are based around stock rails. 99.9% of us running these combo's stock rails are long gone.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have a 3.4 CRUSHER on the bench, going in @ two weeks. Waiting for parts. Have some ?s. Who has bolted down a crusher? With or without the inlet,explain any tricks. I know it will be more work than my old 2.3.
I don't have a crusher but I have the old strictly inlet on my kb. I'm sure it similar in size to the crusher. I bolted the charger to the lower intake off the car so I could get to the bolts easier. I then sat the blower and lower intake down together. The back passenger bolt was still tough to get to though for the lower intake to head bolts. I bought a swivel socket and managed to get the bolt to tightened down. Hope that helps

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
I'm confused why every one keeps pushing aftermarket rails, when the stock ones have been proven to over 900HP

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can attest that the new crusher will clear the fore fuel rails, but the original one wouldn't even clear the factory coil pack covers!!! Now people are having problems fitting other aftermarket fuel rails. The original crusher was obviously never tested on a cobra, and it appears that the new one was not tested with other aftermarket fuel rails (is any rail more popular than CPR, I don't think so).

KB gets bashed a lot for various things, but you really don't see these fitment issues that are simply a result of ZERO TESTING.

The whipple 2.3 has proven to be an excellent blower, but I am not sure that 3.4 is going to prove to be all that great.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can attest that the new crusher will clear the fore fuel rails, but the original one wouldn't even clear the factory coil pack covers!!! Now people are having problems fitting other aftermarket fuel rails. The original crusher was obviously never tested on a cobra, and it appears that the new one was not tested with other aftermarket fuel rails (is any rail more popular than CPR, I don't think so).

KB gets bashed a lot for various things, but you really don't see these fitment issues that are simply a result of ZERO TESTING.

The whipple 2.3 has proven to be an excellent blower, but I am not sure that 3.4 is going to prove to be all that great.
Huh? A little off base considering the numbers these blowers have been producing.

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
my trick to getting it bolted down is leave the inlet off,bolt the supercharger/ lower intake assembly down and then slide the inlet down on it-i have switched the two bolts inside the inlet to six point bolts instead of the allen head bolts that they supply you with-just easier to get a 1/4 inch ratchett on it, im about 250lbs right now so most of you should be able to get your toothpick arms in there to do it if i can LOL the 45 degree fitting jared showed does work-had to clearance the inlet a little in that spot where the fuel line nut is- but not much-i have the fore rails so i cant vouch for cpr rails-:tip:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts