Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting opinions which gear would be best for 650ish HP street use on Nitto's or MT DR's.

If 3.90's, is it wise to use the Ford Racing R and P install kit on a Motive Gear or Pro 5.0 gear?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just swapped in the 390 and never looked back.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I thought I put in fms gears but I must have used motive instead. My bad. Sorry. The 3:90's are still bad ass for anything under 650 ish with dr's imo.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yo

I can't get traction with my gears I would never switch for something lower. Aspecially if your into roll racing.

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts
I went 3.73's with my sra I'll let you know how they do on the track here shortly.

mofasta

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
3.73's FR does not make a 3.90 so you may get noise with the motive gears. imo 3.90 or 4.10's are a little much for a daily driver making decent power for the street.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I got 3.90's and love them so far. OP I'm at your hp level and I think I'll be pushing the mph limit even on 28's.(hopefully) So I'm a little worried. They are perfectly fine for the street also but I don't street race at all. Oh and they whine like hell.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got 3.90's and love them so far. OP I'm at your hp level and I think I'll be pushing the mph limit even on 28's.(hopefully) So I'm a little worried. They are perfectly fine for the street also but I don't street race at all. Oh and they whine like hell.
Street racing is secondary. I just want to have a noticable change worth the time and money that I have into the rebuild. I already have 3.73's.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
I like the 3.73's... able to leave pretty well, and still not turn up too many rpms on the big end. I am right around 650 rwhp, but close to 700 ft/lbs torque.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have decided to go with the 3.73's. If I was ported Eaton @ 500 or so, I would run the .90's.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I have 3.90's in mine and it was perfect with the eaton at 500. I'll let ya know soon how it does with the KB. They do whine a little, but they're fine on the street and highway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
FMS makes a 3.90?
FIRST, FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW, FORD GAVE MOTIVE GEARS ALL THE TOOLING FOR FMS GEARS. SO IF THE PART NUMBER ENDS IN AN "A" THESE ARE ACTUAL FORD CUTS GEARS, IF IT ENDS IN AN "M" THEN MOTIVE CUT THEM WITH FORD TOOLING. THE 3.90'S ARE MADE BUY TWO COMPANIES: MOTIVE OR PRO 5.0. AS FOR GEARS CHOICE AND STOCKISH SIZE DIAMETER (25-26) TIRES AND LONG DISTANCE DRIVERS: THE 3.73'S ARE GREAT. IF IT IS NOT DRIVEN FAR LENGTHS, THEN THE 3.90 AND 4.10 ARE GREAT WITH 26-27 INCH TIRES. MY FAVORITES ARE THE 4.30'S WITH 28 INCH TIRES. HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT, HE HE:tip:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just wanting opinions which gear would be best for 650ish HP street use on Nitto's or MT DR's.
That basically sums up my setup. I run a 3.90 gear on a 26" drag radial. It's ok, but I'm not really a fan of the 3.90 with a 26" tire. The gears are too short and there isn't enough rpm IMO. I''ll see how it goes with a 28" slick this year. If I don't like that, I'm going back to a 3.55.

BTW...I have no gear whine at all.

·
Registered
490 Posts
FIRST, FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW, FORD GAVE MOTIVE GEARS ALL THE TOOLING FOR FMS GEARS. SO IF THE PART NUMBER ENDS IN AN "A" THESE ARE ACTUAL FORD CUTS GEARS, IF IT ENDS IN AN "M" THEN MOTIVE CUT THEM WITH FORD TOOLING. THE 3.90'S ARE MADE BUY TWO COMPANIES: MOTIVE OR PRO 5.0. AS FOR GEARS CHOICE AND STOCKISH SIZE DIAMETER (25-26) TIRES AND LONG DISTANCE DRIVERS: THE 3.73'S ARE GREAT. IF IT IS NOT DRIVEN FAR LENGTHS, THEN THE 3.90 AND 4.10 ARE GREAT WITH 26-27 INCH TIRES. MY FAVORITES ARE THE 4.30'S WITH 28 INCH TIRES. HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT, HE HE:tip:
yep i was just about to say that. i guess this is also why the prices have come down on the fms gears

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.