Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to replace my current exhaust with a 3" setup. Car made 621 a few months back when it was 91 outside. Changed the exhaust to kooks 1 7/8 longtubes, 3" kooks o/r x and 3" bassani catback. Made 701 on the same dyno with temps in the upper 40's.

Went to the track to back up the dyno number and the first pass was [email protected] leaving soft. Next pass I broke another halfshaft. Car should be in the 9's once I get some better halfshafts in it.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hell yeah! That's awesome. That mph should get you in the 9's with ease if you can 60'.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Working getting the video now. 60 was 1.56 on that pass. I want to get into the low 1.4 but the stock halfshafts can't handle it. I'm not sure if I want to give DSS a try but the ones s&s chassis is making is taking awhile to come out

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Great numbers. I wonder if you would of made better power throughout the whole band with 1 5/8 primary's rather than 1 7/8ths.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
that car is checkin out.....badass for IRS. Your still on stock longblock as well? KB 2.4 @ what psi? You run at Steele?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
What tire are you running?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Are those standard numbers or corrected? That's a huge jump. Nice run and mph too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder how much of the new numbers is because of the exhaust, and how much from the cold air temps from the second dyno?
I've ran at the track with better air and trapped 131. I did uprade the clutch so I'm sure that helped as well.

that car is checkin out.....badass for IRS. Your still on stock longblock as well? KB 2.4 @ what psi? You run at Steele?
Yeap, stock longblock with the kb at 22psi. The runs was at steele as well.

Great numbers. I wonder if you would of made better power throughout the whole band with 1 5/8 primary's rather than 1 7/8ths.
I had bbk's longtubes when I made the 621. Car made more power throughout the powerband. Numbers were std not sae btw

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
28x10.5 et drags
Do you have any current pics with the stance of your car with the stock spring cut like you mentioned 15x10 Prostar and 6.5" BS with the 28's?

Im looking at the same combo, just picking up some of the Jegs or summit wheels.

How many passes are you averaging now on a halfshaft before snapping?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have any current pics with the stance of your car with the stock spring cut like you mentioned 15x10 Prostar and 6.5" BS with the 28's?

Im looking at the same combo, just picking up some of the Jegs or summit wheels.

How many passes are you averaging now on a halfshaft before snapping?
I just posted some vids where you can see the stance. The wheels are bogarts now but they are still 15x10. Ever since I put the spec stage 5 in, i've broken 2 halfshafts on 3 attempts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congrats on the numbers. Thanks for posting these numbers. I am really glad to see some info like this on large primary headers. My car is about to get some custom headers, and it looks like the big primaries are the way to go (granted there's some extra power from the air, too)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Congrats! Your car moves out!!

So let me get this straight, you picked up 80RWHP and 9MPH by changing the exhaust and a clutch on a regular KB set up at 22lbs? Any weight reduction done at all or anything else not listed? Those are amazing gains, both on the dyno and at the track!

I too wonder exactly how much of this is from the 1 7/8'' headers and full 3'' exhaust. That is a HUGE increase! I think the majority of it had to come from the exhaust.

I came across a couple of posts a while back where a member (ppochap) picked up 39RWHP/19RWTQ from switching from Bassani mids to American Racing 1 7/8'' headers. He posted a graph, and sure did pick up the power he claimed. However, he lost some mid range torque and power. I'll look for the post.

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread. Scroll down to post number 7.
http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?t=92326&highlight=American+Racing+Headers

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
holy crap that is insane to gain that much power. I would have to say temp is a big factor! What 3" exhaust do you have?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am running 1 3/4" Kooks (3" collector). I wish I would have listened to my "instincts", and put a bigger header on the setup.

I think we may need to re-visit the "Terminator FAQ" section with regards to the header debate. IMO----more and more cars are stepping up to the bigger blowers, and can benefit from the larger 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" primaries. I was swayed by the arguments in those threads, and the constant referencing to them when the "header debate" was brought up.

Like I said----I wish I would have listened to my instincts, and went with the 1 7/8". I may have lost a little boost, but could have easily gained it back with a smaller pulley. I'm confident the car would have ran better even without stepping up the pulley ratio.

I just have to look at JR's setup (big bore/3.4) to re-assure myself. His car flies directly in the face of 2 sections in the FAQ----headers and the "improving Ve" section. The car had an ultra-efficient big bore/custom cam/big header setup installed. He was pullied for 30+psi, and only saw 22-23psi actual boost. The car ran its best ET/MPH his first trip to the track--- [email protected]. This was after swapping out a stroker/custom cam/ 1 5/8" header setup, and not changing the pulley ratio---already maxed out. The car lost boost, but picked up across the board.

Just a thought----I'm sure I won't gain a ton with the switch, but I am one who searches for every bit of hp/et/mph in my setup.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
This makes me wish I had gone with the larger headers. Currently running 1-5/8" MAC long tubes. I'm sure they were fine for the Eaton. However, I might could use the larger primaries and mid-pipe with the F1A.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts