Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

IAT Sensor + Snow Performance Meth Inj Kit w/ MAF Var Controller

5K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  guarnibl 
#1 ·
Well, the tuner says he's going to tune my car without the IAT sensor. Stock GT's (2002 and up I believe) have them built into the MAF. He says you don't really need them and you can generally tune a car without it, so that's what he is going to do.

However -- if my snow performance kit relies on the MAF to work, wouldn't it also rely on the IAT sensor, or no? I know there was a yellow wire that connected to the MAF (the stock one) so I was thinking maybe the wire connected to the IAT sensor so it could measure intake temps and spray when appropriate.

I'm not sure if that's the case though.. so if anyone has more information that'd be great! The new MAF is the SCT BigAir MAF and does not come with the sensor built in.

#2 ·
That IAT was instaled next to the MAF from the factory b/c the car was N/A. You're IAT temps aren't going to be correct and your car won't know when to pull timing. Hopefully since your intercooled your ECU won't have to pull timing.

The first thing my tuner did when I had my car tuned for the first time was take the IAT sensor out of it's stock location and relocate it to the discharge tube on the blower so it would be able to do what it was supposed to do.

Best of luck to ya. Keep us updated!

#4 ·
guarnibl said:
I won't have to pull timing.. he's setting it to 14 degrees of timing... its pretty safe tune wise.

So you're saying I don't need the IAT sensor? Can I take it out of the stock MAF or do I have to purchase a new one.. I'm lost.
I say you need a new tuner.If he is tuning your car without a IAT .He is a freaking HACK.

If you use a sct maf.You just need to splice in a new IAT connector off a 99~00 gt and get a IAT sensor for the same year.
Then it MUST be installed in the discharge tube.

If your tuner is fixing the timing at 14 ,he is hacking the tune and the car is not gonna run right PERIOD..Plus why would you need a boost cooler if you have a intercooler?

#5 ·
I'm using the snow perf. kit for when I'll have my new block in so I can run more timing + more boost... even with the intercooler it'll help.

I didn't say he's fixing it at 14.. I'm just saying that's what the timing (roughly) it's going to be... I just hope (as said before) that it doesn't have to pull timing. I'm getting my car back tomorrow and then pretty much immedietely taking it to Tim in Cinci for a new tune.

#6 ·
guarnibl said:
I'm using the snow perf. kit for when I'll have my new block in so I can run more timing + more boost... even with the intercooler it'll help.

I didn't say he's fixing it at 14.. I'm just saying that's what the timing (roughly) it's going to be... I just hope (as said before) that it doesn't have to pull timing. I'm getting my car back tomorrow and then pretty much immedietely taking it to Tim in Cinci for a new tune.
The car's ecu cant adjust timing properly with out the IAT.hell it will more than likely kick codes if its left off.How is it gonna be "around" 14 if it doesnt know the inlet temps?The computer adjust timing based on inlet temps.

WHo is tim in cinci?

reguardless sounds like someone is hacking it up for you.

#8 ·
I think you guys are incorrect here...

The SCT Big AIR 90mm is made for 03-04 cobras but compatible with other mustangs such as the GT if you are using a supercharger.

Only < 2002 users must relocate their IAT sensors (they actually have them) so it gets the proper reading.

2002 and up cars do NOT HAVE IAT sensors. I.e., I do not need one. The BIG AIR SCT meter is made for 03 and 04 cobras as a DIRECT REPLACEMENT. 03 and 04 cobras do NOT HAVE IAT SENSORS.

There is no reason why I need an IAT sensor... the Big AIR will give the similair style reading to the ECU. Also, the meth kit will work since its based on the voltage reading from the MAF :)

Correct me if I'm wrong here.. but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

#9 ·
Hey Bud,

The boys here are correct and are just trying to help you.

First things first, 1)You have an IAT Sensor 2)It needs to be relocated after the blower.

There is perfectly logical reasoning for this.

Having the IAT Sensor kept before the blower is not correct all. It's measuring the temps that have entered through the filter. Well problem here, Your computer adds or subtracts timing based on this sensor. We all know that air heats up as it passes through the blower. Let's say the temps entering through your filter are 96 degrees, cool no big deal..... issue, after that air passes through the blower it's now 130 degrees. So your computer thinks, hey let's add timing because the IAT Temps are only 96 degrees. No good your temps are really 130 degrees, That could very possibly lead to detonation. Now Basically what your tuner wants to do is this, He wants to eliminate the use of the IAT Sensor... and "Zero out" the Spark Adder based on air charge temperature. That is a hack way of tuning your setup, your giving up a very good parameter of your computer. If some reason you ran out of Methanol/Water or it failed and your Charge Temps shot up then your computer says thats not right and can pull timing accordingly this can save your motor. This can work to your advantage as well, let's say at a charge temp of 115 degrees you tell it to add x amount of timing... it will do it accordingly.

#10 ·
guarnibl said:

The SCT Big AIR 90mm is made for 03-04 cobras but compatible with other mustangs such as the GT if you are using a supercharger.

Only < 2002 users must relocate their IAT sensors (they actually have them) so it gets the proper reading.

2002 and up cars do NOT HAVE IAT sensors. I.e., I do not need one. The BIG AIR SCT meter is made for 03 and 04 cobras as a DIRECT REPLACEMENT. 03 and 04 cobras do NOT HAVE IAT SENSORS.

There is no reason why I need an IAT sensor... the Big AIR will give the similair style reading to the ECU. Also, the meth kit will work since its based on the voltage reading from the MAF :)

Go tell the 03/04 Cobra guys they don't have IAT sensors...

#11 ·
guarnibl said:

You are correctly WRONG...The newer gt/cobras(except the03/04) have iats BUILT into the mafs..Actually the 03/04 cobra has TWO iats.One in the inlet pipe and one in the intake (after the intercooler).The sct maf is setup for the with the built in IAT already in it.But it fits either setups.I know i currently run a sct 2800 maf.

Ive been playing the charger games for few years,so ive seen a few of the things you are describing.

#13 ·
Tell your tuner you want to know what IAT temps he's seeing on the dyno. Also, make sure he includes the A/F at the bottom of the dyno chart.

We're just trying to be helpful. Blowing up engines at the top of 4th gear isn't fun. Trust me.... That's why I got my car tuned-so I wouldn't blow up the second one. I assumed that the previous owner had the car tuned correctly. Apparrently not...

#16 ·
I should be fine until I can get an IAT sensor though right? I assumed that the built in sensor in the new BIG AIR MAF should be alright and send the correct readings to the ECU, since it's after the supercharger and on the pipe that leads to the throttle body.

Also -- I didn't see an IAT sensor in any of my pipes.. I thought it was hooked and built into my MAF.

I have a stage II meth kit w/ the nozzle/switch upgrade that will allow a red light to light up when i am at a quarter tank of meth left.

#17 ·
white99gt said:
You are correctly WRONG...The newer gt/cobras(except the03/04) have iats BUILT into the mafs..Actually the 03/04 cobra has TWO iats.One in the inlet pipe and one in the intake (after the intercooler).The sct maf is setup for the with the built in IAT already in it.But it fits either setups.I know i currently run a sct 2800 maf.

Ive been playing the charger games for few years,so ive seen a few of the things you are describing.
So the 03/04's do have one IAT built in. Which means the Big Air would work for me and measure the correct temps since it's after the blower... yes? I'm confused again.

#18 ·
guarnibl said:
So the 03/04's do have one IAT built in. Which means the Big Air would work for me and measure the correct temps since it's after the blower... yes? I'm confused again.
Now you get it.Yes if the big air is located after the blower.THen yes it will work in your app. :beerchug:

But based on what you were told by your tuner,take it somewhere else quick.Id hate to be giving you advice on motor parts in the next few weeks.

#19 · (Edited)
Ok :) I was gonna say.. I'm pretty sure since my car had the IAT built in to the MAF I was going to need a new IAT sensor (seperate from the MAF). However, seeing as the 03/04 Cobras have one built in to the MAF as well... which means the Big Air does as well, I should be fine.

The MAF is located after the blower just before the air hits the throttle body in the tubing as it comes out of the fenderwell and wraps uptowards the TB :)

I want to take my car down to modular powerhouse... but I hear modular depot in Cinci, OH is very very good as well. Cinci is only 45 minutes from where I am at for school, so that's a good bet I'd say :) Better than driving like 11 hours to Georgia.

Also, I apoligize to those who didn't even realize what car I have. I should have been more specific... I apoligize for that again. I have a 2003 Mustang GT, therefore I don't have a seperate IAT sensor and it doesn't need to be relocated :)

Also -- the tuner said he was going to tune without it... without "it" being a seperate IAT sensor.

#20 ·
guarnibl said:
Ok :) I was gonna say.. I'm pretty sure since my car had the IAT built in to the MAF I was going to need a new IAT sensor (seperate from the MAF). However, seeing as the 03/04 Cobras have one built in to the MAF as well... which means the Big Air does as well, I should be fine.

The MAF is located after the blower just before the air hits the throttle body in the tubing as it comes out of the fenderwell and wraps uptowards the TB :)

I want to take my car down to modular powerhouse... but I hear modular depot in Cinci, OH is very very good as well. Cinci is only 45 minutes from where I am at for school, so that's a good bet I'd say :) Better than driving like 11 hours to Georgia.

Also, I apoligize to those who didn't even realize what car I have. I should have been more specific... I apoligize for that again. I have a 2003 Mustang GT, therefore I don't have a seperate IAT sensor and it doesn't need to be relocated :)
I trust ken and the guys at the depot.It will be well worth based on the stuff your present guy is telling you.

As far as the IAT.If you had any blower BESIDES the procharger.THe iat would have to be relocated..

#21 ·
I trust ken just from all the good things I hear about him :) However -- I know Ken knows my tuner cause he talks to him all the time.

I believe that I didn't have a seperate IAT sensor.. so how would I even relocate it? Can you just splice it out of the MAF or would I have to relocate the entire MAF? hah.

#26 ·
Okay :) Well, my MAF is after the blower (right before the air hits the throttle body.. well, about 18 inches or so from it) and I'm using the SCT Big Air. Those have an IAT intergrated into it.

I should be good then right? (Should be -- I'm going to take it to Ken after).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.