Whats the best donor car for swap to solid? Mach 1, Bullitt, GT?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Whats the best donor car for swap to solid? Mach 1, Bullitt, GT?

I am still doing my research for info on the solid swap, but I have decided that I want build an 8.8 to put in my 03 Cobra. I believe I am supposed to look for an 8.8 out of a 99+ car-GT, Bullitt, Mach 1, is this correct? Also, would a rear out of one of these cars offer an advantage over the others, as far as parts or compatibility goes.

I would love to swap with someone, but I drive the Cobra frequently, so I think I would be best buying a solid, prepping & assembling it, then put it in, and sell the IRS.

I plan on finding as complete of an axle as I can and building it using quality internals, 31 spline axles, Eaton Posi, welding tubes, T/A cover, and getting some good control arms under there, all that stuff. How would a rear assembly out of a Mach 1 work on my Cobra.

Any thoughts or pointers out there on where to get started, where to look, what I should expect to pay, what are some of the little stupid parts or tricky ones to find?? Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

Most people go with the 99+ solids. I swapped mine from my 97 cobra. The axles from a 96-98 are 3/4 inch narrower (per side) than the 99 and newer. I did the swap anyway. The only thing I had to do was put a 1/4 inch spacer on the rears to move the tires away from the exhaust. It barely rubbed on the passenger side. So the spacers corrected that for me. I run stock wheels with nitto 315/35 17s on there. The factory 275/40 would not have been an issue.

Senior Member Array

PostBan will chime in here before long and convince you to stay with the IRS...BUT he also has one hell of a write up on solid axle swap and every part# you would ever need.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

If you are doing a straight up swap with someone with a solid axle, then you really don't need many extra parts. Mainly a couple of u-joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-06_Killa
    PostBan will chime in here before long and convince you to stay with the IRS...BUT he also has one hell of a write up on solid axle swap and every part# you would ever need.
    I am guessing by the 60 ft's in your sig that you have a solid, what is your setup, or if you have an IRS, how is it still alive, level 5's?

I do like the ride of the IRS, but honestly, I came from an 88 GT, so this feels like a limo to me, I think that if a solid is set up properly, ride quality shouldnt have to be compromised to badly. No I wont be able to take those bumpy on ramps at 90 MPH, but I am a straight line guy, and the car is raced regularly weather permitting, and would be raced more if I didnt have to worry about it breaking because I drive it to the track. I dont know, I guess level 5's would solve this problem, but I want to get weight out of my car, I am 6'5" and 250 lbs, so I aint helpin. I plan on doing other weight reduction, but the IRS is quite an anchor. Nothing a port, lower, and spray cant fix, who knows............

I have seen Postbans write up on the solid , and its very informative. I guess I am trying to firure out what I would need if I did a swap as opposed to a progressive build up, but both are options at this point
    Last edited by eiu88gt; 09-17-2005 at 07:21 PM.

how much is our IRS if sold outright?

ive heard around a grand , but i dont know if this includes the shocks/struts/arms

Eric, seriously, thanks for the clutch "pep" talk at MSC, I've got a DFX coming on Mon or Tues, and when this thing goes in, I want to leave off the limiter. IRS no likey Do you ar Eddie or anybody around here know where I can get a solid without payin through the a$$?

Jason

I know where you can get a bullet proof 9" for $3500 complete then sell your IRS, thats what I may do. But, I truely believe with good halfshafts and a diff brace, you should be fine on the irs. Just look at my car! I still plan to run the irs for a while until it really breaks. Put level 2 DSS bars in there for 549 and get a diff brace and thats all I THINK you need.

The clutch will help you out a ton, I cant wait to see what she runs now!

Quote Originally Posted by SVTdubs
    I know where you can get a bullet proof 9" for $3500 complete then sell your IRS, thats what I may do. But, I truely believe with good halfshafts and a diff brace, you should be fine on the irs. Just look at my car! I still plan to run the irs for a while until it really breaks. Put level 2 DSS bars in there for 549 and get a diff brace and thats all I THINK you need.

The clutch will help you out a ton, I cant wait to see what she runs now!
    35 hundo is a bit out of my price range. If solid is the route I choose to go, I would like to buy a rear out of a 99+ and slowly piece it together and have it up & runnin by spring. I've got a couple of leads on a Mach 1 rear and a Bullitt rear, both are ~$800 rotor to rotor, then drop in an Eaton, some gears, 31 splines, good suspension stuff, and go to town. This seems like a better choice for me, because I just dont have a coupla grand to do it at once, but then I gotta find and buy all the little pieces that turn this into a small nightmare, but I may take it on

As for the IRS, I've got the BF Brace and I believe in it. Whos got level 2's for $550?? I thought they were liek $1000, first I've heard of a price that low, but I'm sure I'm wrong......please advise

I know the IRS can be strong, but one thing it aint, is light, and I gotta lighten the load

Senior Member Array

I'm curious too as about the $550 Level 2's. That would be a great price and I'd like to have a set

^^ word.

Whos got level 2 DSS's that cheap??

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by eiu88gt
    I am guessing by the 60 ft's in your sig that you have a solid, what is your setup, or if you have an IRS, how is it still alive, level 5's?

The following short times are when the track was prepped nicely...and these were average times.

1.53-1.60 60' times on the IRS when it was in my car... 26x11.5x16 ET Streets... NO MODS TO IRS.

1.49-1.55 solid axle, 31 spline moser's, Auburn Pro, 3.73, anti roll bar(makes street driving a little more harsh),bullit springs, lakewood 50/50's...

The IRS will live for quite a while at high hp and track beatings IF you have a good tire...I am not talking about a Nitto or BFG either... Put a ET Street(not radial) and you'll be ok for a while... I think i had a freak IRS... 60+ launches at 5500+rpm and it never broke.

dss shop has them, they are just the bars, I paid $549 shipped to my door and have had zero problems hopping like a bunny in a 4005lb vert with almost 800rwhp and 900ftlbs tq.... I sometimes think the level 5's are overkill but thats just me

17. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread