Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

ring gear and pinion whine

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  don_w 
#1 ·
if you put a set of gears in your car and they whine real bad can you reset it up to get rid of it or are you stuck with the noise?mine is really bad on the coast side and i need to do something.they are 4.10 by richmond gears. i have been told that if they whine from the beginning there is no way to eleminate it.

#4 ·
I used the Ford gears and had no problem with noise.The guy who installed mine will not install anything but Ford gears because of the noise. I have a friend with a 05 who went through two sets of Richmond gears and still has noise 45 MPH and up. He is now thinking about having Ford gears put in after hearing my gears or should I say not hearing. Good luck .

#5 ·
You definately should have went with the Ford gear set. The Richmond almost always wine even if all the numbers are right and the pattern looks perfect.:blink: On the other hand I probably set up atleast 40 sets of the ford gears, and only had one set that made a very slight wine on deceleration only.

#8 ·
Yep... +1 on the FRPP gears... love them.

#9 ·
I had a set of "Howlin' Richmond" 4.10s installed in my '97 Chevy truck. They were noisy right around 50 miles an hour. Then the same shop installed a set of U.S. Gear's 4.10s and there's no noise at all. But back then I didn't have a forum like this to help me avoid crap products. Now for the Stang, I come here and get advice from all the knowledgeable Bruthas!

#10 ·
i dont think there was much price differance but this shop likes the richmond gears.i have always run zoom or schiefer gears and had no problems and i guess you can see im a little older than most of you since neither company is in business anymore.and yes these forumns are a great place to learn from others.

#12 ·
gpp said:
i dont think there was much price differance but this shop likes the richmond gears.i have always run zoom or schiefer gears and had no problems and i guess you can see im a little older than most of you since neither company is in business anymore.and yes these forumns are a great place to learn from others.
You might be surprised at some of our ages...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.