·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was goin to use A 2valve do to low funds
just figured that the 5.4 would give me more torg and power with a blower then a 2valve 4.6

and I figured the rods could handle more boost then a 4.6 2 valve

·
Registered
630 Posts
The 5.4L will work with your PI heads. Custom intake and headers would be the money pit for that swap. Since you said limited funds, I axed explaining the 5.4L DOHC swap. Either way, you'd come out cheaper staying with the 4.6L on this one. - John

·
Registered
385 Posts
99GT-UJSTLST said:
i was goin to use A 2valve do to low funds
just figured that the 5.4 would give me more torg and power with a blower then a 2valve 4.6

and I figured the rods could handle more boost then a 4.6 2 valve
I would think the 4.6 could handle more boost b/c it has a shorter stroke. Plus shorter stroke = more revs. I like to rev high:D

What kind of #s are you putting down w/ 17psi???

·
Registered
155 Posts
NX330MustangGT said:
Yes, the swap will work, but why use 2v SOHC heads?

Click and read the links

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10896

http://boss330.corral.net/
Boss330 is stuck in a world of 8000+ rpm and has shown himself incapable of thinking outside of that in most threads I've seen him reply to. Thats not a bad thing if thats what you want, but there's zero reason you can't make a ton of power with 2v heads.

My 5.4 swap went from 256/205 to 330/227 (after tuning). Add the typical +20/20 that a stock stickshift car would make (~275/225 stock) and I would be at ~350/250, not bad for a stock van motor huh? Typical bolt-ons would bring that up near 280rwhp, from there cams and head porting would take you well over 300rwhp with a huge torque curve. My swap was done using billet adapters and the stock GT intake, my next plan is to fit a 4v Cobra intake onto it, if it works that will be worth probably ~40hp.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yah...Boss330 has no idea what he is talking about.... He only made 120+ rwhp and 220+ ft lbs more than you did.. all on 93 Octane and gets 22 mpg on the freeway. And still has the AC. And that was on last years motor....

·
Registered
155 Posts
:rolleyes:

93Cobra4V, don't be such a dumbass, nowhere did I say that Boss330 doesn't know what he was doing. His car and what he has done with it simply have nothing to offer for someone asking about putting a simple 2v 5.4 into a Mustang. His is a full-out high dollar race motor, and thats all he thinks in terms of. He said so himself in one thread I was browsing through, and that if given the choice he would put velocity stacks and weber carbs on. Please tell me how that viewpoint helps the guy who started this thread? Ask Boss about 2v heads and he'll say you can't make shit for power with them, well maybe not if you're goal is 400rwhp, but I bet they'll go 340-350 (ported of course) and that pretty much covers damn near everybody, doesn't it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
well your making about as much HP and less torque as a properly setup 4.6 2V. You could have dropped a Stock Cobra motor in would have been there.... Yes ..the cool factor is there but for most people this is not something easily done... Also you can find Navigator motors fairly cheap in Bone yards or on Ebay...

And for Most people.. This is NOT a simple swap....

·
Registered
182 Posts
TurboX2 said:
Boss330 is stuck in a world of 8000+ rpm and has shown himself incapable of thinking outside of that in most threads I've seen him reply to. Thats not a bad thing if thats what you want, but there's zero reason you can't make a ton of power with 2v heads.

My 5.4 swap went from 256/205 to 330/227 (after tuning). Add the typical +20/20 that a stock stickshift car would make (~275/225 stock) and I would be at ~350/250, not bad for a stock van motor huh? Typical bolt-ons would bring that up near 280rwhp, from there cams and head porting would take you well over 300rwhp with a huge torque curve. My swap was done using billet adapters and the stock GT intake, my next plan is to fit a 4v Cobra intake onto it, if it works that will be worth probably ~40hp.
Are you quoting bhp or rwhp numbers here?

·
Registered
155 Posts
93Cobra4V said:
well your making about as much HP and less torque as a properly setup 4.6 2V.
Bwahahaha, a 2v 4.6 makes 330rwtq? Yeah, maybe with a roots blower installed.... My stock 4.6, through an auto tranny, dynoed at 205 rwhp. After the 5.4 was in and tuned I was at 227. Thats the same? My stock 4.6 torque peak was 256 rwtq, after the 5.4 swap 330, thats less?? What version of math do you use?

You could have dropped a Stock Cobra motor in would have been there....
Yeah, for about $2500 more I could have put a Cobra motor in, and it would have put out the same or less torque than my stock 2v 4.6 through an auto. It would have made a little more hp, but I guarantee you in most any situation on the street the huge torque curve of the 5.4 would kick its ass. Its also very fun to drive when you barely have to push the pedal to accelerate or pass. I'm also just getting started, next up are pullies, full exhaust, and a cold air kit. I'm expecting at least 250rwhp/340rwtq, and if I get a chance to build the intake I've got planned I think it will be closing in on 300rwhp, through a stock auto trans, with stock PI heads and cams. Yeah, no potential there....

Also you can find Navigator motors fairly cheap in Bone yards or on Ebay...

And for Most people.. This is NOT a simple swap....
Fairly cheap as in what, $3000? Then you need about $1500 for a custom intake, $700 for custom headers, different computer, wiring harness, etc... After selling my 4.6 I went from a 98k mile 4.6 to a 4k mile 5.4 for about $800 total. That doesn't even begin to be comparable in any way. The 5.4 2v swap is way, way more simple too, I reused the 4.6 headers, motor mounts, flexplate, intake manifold, etc... The only tricky thing was a set of billet adapters I made so the 4.6 intake would bolt on, I'm trying to get them produced so others can easily do this swap too. Same wiring harness, same computer, etc..., not tough at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Calypso428 said:
Are you quoting bhp or rwhp numbers here?
Rear wheel. My stock 4.6 with an auto trans dynoed 205rwhp and 256rwtq, which is right on what most people see. The 5.4 using the same intake/cams/heads/headers/stock cat-pipe, and tailpipes was at 227/330. To be fair the 5.4 did have the advantage of being dyno tuned, but if I had done that to the 4.6 first the gains on a bone stock motor would have been pretty minimal.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i think a 4.6 to 5.4 2v swap makes the most sense economically. that is based on what i have read here.

I think turbox2 what you did is great and might help the people who just want some extra hp and torque without spending alot of money or custom fabrication at this time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TurboX2 said:
Rear wheel. My stock 4.6 with an auto trans dynoed 205rwhp and 256rwtq, which is right on what most people see. The 5.4 using the same intake/cams/heads/headers/stock cat-pipe, and tailpipes was at 227/330. To be fair the 5.4 did have the advantage of being dyno tuned, but if I had done that to the 4.6 first the gains on a bone stock motor would have been pretty minimal.
OK, so the first set of numbers quoted up top . . .

My 5.4 swap went from 256/205 to 330/227 (after tuning). Add the typical +20/20 that a stock stickshift car would make (~275/225 stock) and I would be at ~350/250, not bad for a stock van motor huh?

are TQ/HP, is this correct?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, guess I switched from tq/hp to hp/tq in later replies, sorry, should have been consistent.

·
Registered
630 Posts
TurboX2 said:

Just wanted to let you know, AL has hit the 500 rwhp mark and ran in the 10's now n/a at 3400lbs I believe. Also, ModularPerformance has a new 5.4L DOHC intake out for $599.

John

·
Registered
385 Posts
What exactly does the upper intake look like for the lower manifold? It almost looks like a carb intake. Do you use the 2V upper plenum???:confused:

Darren

·
Registered
155 Posts
NX330MustangGT said:
Just wanted to let you know, AL has hit the 500 rwhp mark and ran in the 10's now n/a at 3400lbs I believe. Also, ModularPerformance has a new 5.4L DOHC intake out for $599.

John
I've seen Al's new numbers, very impressive. I've never said anything bad about Al's combo, and never will. My only beef is with people who jump into every question about a low budget sohc swap and start yapping about "why don't you put a Navigator motor in it.....Al did this or that....blah, blah, blah....". Al's combo compared to what the average guy can afford and is looking to do is like a Hot Street car compared to the average bolt-on 5.0, cost-wise they just don't even belong in the same conversation. That new intake will obviously make things a lot easier for the DOHC swap, but looks like you'll need a large cowl hood after you get an elbow on top of it. Almost looks like you could seal the top, open the bottom of the plenum, and bring the air around from the side and under kinda like the Bullitt does, that would likely keep it under a stock hood. The short runners still make that intake matched to a fully built motor rather than a stock though, it should easily support 7500-8000 rpm.

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts