Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 1996 lincoln mark 8 complete with auto. transmition that i am installing into a 1967 fairlane. using a mustang 2 front end, also have already narrowed the lincoln rear end and fabed a complete frame which allows the rear end to bolt in as orignal on the lincoln.want to replace the lincoln intake with a 1996 muatang intake any problems with that? need ideas as to brake booster / master cylinder.have talked to the detail zone about wiring. end result i want a real nice driver. any ideas you have will greately welcomed.

·
Registered
895 Posts
welcome

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds great. It seems like you have the right intentions; go with the custom wiring harness from Detail Zone and it will be a sure-thing.

One question I have is when you say that you have a 1996 Mustang intake, you mean a 1996 Cobra intake, right? In that case, no problem, it will bolt right on and actually will make the swap easier for you (that t-body arrangement on the Mark 8 is crazy- I know first hand from my Avanti swap :mad2:).

One good thing is to get billet aluminum IMRC delete plates from a place like MMR (right now someone in 96-98 Cobra section has them new for $150 shipped - look quick before the moderator pulls the thread). That will save you the headache of trying to power the IMRC setup (saves weight and headaches = win, win situation). Your Mark 8 IMRC's won't fit (2 round ports per cylinder where they bolt to the intake - the Cobra requires one square and one round - and the plastic Cobra ones are expensive and can crack).

Keep us informed!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm using vaccuum brakes on my 65. The booster is from an 89 Fox V6 car and the master cylinder is from a 96 Explorer (lines exit on driver's side and run the rear discs fine since the Explorer had rear discs with [probably] the same calipers as the MarkVIII). I got the info from themustangshop.com. Have 1600 miles on the car and it works just fine - plenty of stopping power.

This should be a nice swap. Those Fairlanes are sharp cars.

·
Registered
352 Posts
IMRC (intake manifold runner control) - 2 plates between the intake manifold and the head. Since the heads flow so much, one of the intake ports is closed off at low RPM to maintain intake velocity (with a butterfly). There is an actuator that opens the other port at about 3500 RPM. These are different on the 93-95 Mark VIII motors than on the later 96-98 Mark VIII and 96-98 Cobra motors. So, if you want to use a Cobra intake (which you do!), you need to find some Cobra IMRC plates.

Some guys remove the butterflies since it will flow slightly better at the high end (but on your car you probably need the low end, especially with an automatic) and they are sometimes troublesome (stick or the actuator fails). Personally, I'd just get some Cobra or 96-98 IMRCs and use them as-is. You will have to either get the later actuator or modify them since the early Mark VIIIs used vaccuum and the later Mark VIIIs and Cobras use an electric motor actuator. I used to have a link to a site where a guy modified the Cobra IMRCs to work with vaccuum actuators (he had a 55-57 T-Bird with a 4.6 - you might do a google search). Here's a site with some Lincoln-specific stuff:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/tech.html

Good luck. By the way, don't open the motor if you don't have to - stuff is very expensive for these motors. A gasket set is almost $400! If it runs - drive it (or else go all out like some of us fools do).

You might get some info from my cardomain site as I had to wrestle with all the stuff you're doing too. (link below)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
u can take off the smaller hose that runs to the coolant tank and use a raditaor with a cap (which will delete the tank) I removed the nipple from the housing and tapped the hole for a pipe plug

·
Registered
352 Posts
u can take off the smaller hose that runs to the coolant tank and use a raditaor with a cap (which will delete the tank) I removed the nipple from the housing and tapped the hole for a pipe plug
What he said. I forgot you can do away with the coolant tank. I also got the thermostat housing for a 2V motor and used it to do away with the bottom half of the 4V thermostat housing (the one with the nipple). The 2V housing gives you a 90 deg turn into the lower radiator hose. It looks a little odd, but since it is on the bottom nobody sees it. I can take a picture if you need it to understand this gibberish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts