Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to upgrade my 2V with a 3V in a 2003 Mustang GT. Which wire harnesses would work with this application? For instance can I pull a wire harness off any 4.6 3V and make it work with my 3V engine? Are there any other tricks that would make this work?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The harness won't transfer over if that's what you're wondering. Are you wanting to keep the VVT active? If so you'll need to look into the power train modules Ford has.

If you're going to lock the cams just use the stock ECU and extend wires as needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO I DONT HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE IN THESE'S ENGINE'S BUT IM TRYING TOO .I DO HAVE THE ECU BUT NOT THE WIRING HARNESS . I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE VVT ACTIVE.SO FOR EXAMPLE WOULD A 3V WIRE HARNESS OFF A TRUCK OR CAR WOULD WORK OR IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY ? SO IF NOT POSSIBLE HOW DO YOU LOCK THE CAMS AND EXTEND WHAT WIRES ? COULD YOU PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The harness won't transfer over if that's what you're wondering. Are you wanting to keep the VVT active? If so you'll need to look into the power train modules Ford has.

If you're going to lock the cams just use the stock ECU and extend wires as needed.
SO I DONT HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE IN THESE'S ENGINE'S BUT IM TRYING TOO LEARN. I'VE DONE MORE CARBURATED CLASSICS. I DO HAVE THE ECU BUT NOT THE WIRING HARNESS . I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE VVT ACTIVE.SO FOR EXAMPLE WOULD A 3V WIRE HARNESS OFF A TRUCK OR CAR WOULD WORK OR IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY ? SO IF NOT POSSIBLE HOW DO YOU LOCK THE CAMS AND EXTEND WHAT WIRES ? COULD YOU PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No. You can't just grab a harness out of a later model vehicle. There's just too many differences.

If you want to keep the VVT active you'll need a control pack like this:

To lock the cams you have to pull the phasers apart and install locks into them. There's tons of YouTube videos out there on it. As for which wires to extend, I can't help there. I've never done the swap personally.

As someone that's owned a 3V in the past I'd pass it on myself. I'd either build a decent push rod stroker or go for the Coyote.

·
Registered
558 Posts
+1
The 3v doesn't make enough power to be worth the hassle.
At least imho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts