Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy is trying to tell me a cam swap will not help a 2V that much. I've heard a few 2V's that sound bada** with different cams but never knew the power increase #'s per $'s spent. Anyone have a clue? Here's this guys post and mods. I asked him why drop an aftermarket block in his car without giving it a little lump and more power. He said that the cams don't make a difference for the money.

What is a SLP SS and How can I beat him?
I saw a SLP SS ( if you know what the SLP means could you please explain to me? ) out and he started messing with me. We were on the highway and he was looking at me and nodded that he wanted a run. I dropped into 3rd and waited for him to nail it. I jumped out a nose and as I hit my power band 4-5500 RPM i nosed about 1\2 car link ahead. I nailed 4th and maintained that lead untill we caught up to traffic.
1999 Mustang GT
My Mods:
DSS Short Block with stock cams
FRPP Shorty Headers
Bassani x-pipe
Borla Exhaust
RAM kevlar Clutch
FRPP Aluminum flywheel
FRPP underdrive pulleys
FRPP aluminum Drive Shaft
FRPP 3:73 gears
MAC shifter
Jet Chip
C&L MAF
K&N
FRPP 70 MM TB

I don't make over 300 HP for sure. How in heck did this happen That guy should have walked me fast. I guess he just sucked at driving or had a LT1 with the SS treatment.

·
Registered
227 Posts
SLP= Street Legal Performance. theyre kinda like the GM version of SVT. SS= Super Sport. so its like sayin a svt cobra...a ss camaro is the upper lever camaro if you will.
i used to work with a guy who had a 00 SS with a 6 speed. i had similar mods to yours when me and him raced...we went from a 60 roll, and it was neck&neck till about i was almost outta 4th. so a number of factors coulda happened. the guy i was racing (even though it was a 60 roll) was just a lousy driver (his buddy was worse....10.0 in the 8th).
cams on a N/A car im not too sure about, but i know on blower car theyre definetly worth the $. Hot Rod did a cam swap and picked up about 20 [email protected] wheels.
youve got a DSS shortblock, so im assuming its forged...say hell with it and just spray that bitch....:blob
oh yeah...depending on what year the car was will tell you if it was an LT1 or not....they reintroduced the SS camaro in 1996. the LT1 was underhood for 96&97, then 98 was the LS1 (nasty)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not my stang. Its some guys that is telling me a cam swap doesn't make a difference for the money. I did read where most cam swaps are making between 20-30hp gains. The guy did say he is planning on adding some sort of supercharger. I know about SS'. I owned a 99 Hugger Orange SS. It dyno'd 311rwhp stock. I added exhaust, k&n and a whisper lid but never had it redyno'd before selling.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wish I could tell you for sure what just the cams are going to do, but I am doing a whole lot at once. Let's just say I should see no less than 300 at the wheels after its all done, probably more. I should have had it back last week, but I should have it tomorrow for sure. Joe's working on it on a saturday just so I can get it back.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Complete P&P with angle valve job from L&M engines with a custom grind comp cam on my already PI heads. Dyno tune by JD auto. Basically, everything I need to break 300 N/A, and for the money, it better.

·
Registered
492 Posts
showtm490 said:
I don't make over 300 HP for sure. How in heck did this happen That guy should have walked me fast. I guess he just sucked at driving or had a LT1 with the SS treatment.
Gearing, and weight have alot to do with it. I walked all over an LT1 SS with gears, pulleys and a chip. Was only pushing 235 RWHP at the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
showtm490 said:
A guy is trying to tell me a cam swap will not help a 2V that much. I've heard a few 2V's that sound bada** with different cams but never knew the power increase #'s per $'s spent. Anyone have a clue? Here's this guys post and mods. I asked him why drop an aftermarket block in his car without giving it a little lump and more power. He said that the cams don't make a difference for the money.
Ya know, that depends on how mild the stock cams are as well as how much potential there is in the intake/exhaust track.

A bottleneck in any one area is going to diminish any real gains from the cams.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys.......i talked to a svt ford mechanic and he basically told me mild streetable cams on the 2v would add about 25-30rwhp. thats with the mods the owner of this stang has.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hot Rod did a cam swap and picked up about 20 [email protected] wheels.
That cam swap was done on my Bullitt. They were Crower stage 2 cams, springs and titanium retainers. I picked up 17 hp and lost some torque down low. That was when my car was naturally aspirated.

I recently added a Vortech V2SQ and picked up 130 hp @ 5300 rpm and 7 lbs of boost. I think that's due to the cams ( i couldnt get past 5300 rpms cause it was leaning out due to the fact that I need more fuel and a bigger maf).

Attachments

·
Yup....still on top!
2,055 Posts
LOL

our stage 2 blower cams w/ 10 psi and STOCK HEADS UNTOUCHED gaines 87hp. Ya, he's right, not worth the investment :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Scott (VTEngine)

How much is it for a set of blower cams?

How hard or time comsuming is the install?

I think my 2000 GT heads might be in need of valve guides or valve seals, so would this be an easy swap at the same time?

Currently my car is fighting me about making 400rwhp with 13# of intercooled boost:

Would the cams easily put me over 400rwhp?

Thanks,
Howard

·
Yup....still on top!
2,055 Posts
00whitegtvert said:
Scott (VTEngine)

How much is it for a set of blower cams?

How hard or time comsuming is the install?

I think my 2000 GT heads might be in need of valve guides or valve seals, so would this be an easy swap at the same time?

Currently my car is fighting me about making 400rwhp with 13# of intercooled boost:

Would the cams easily put me over 400rwhp?

Thanks,
Howard
You've got mail. :evil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts