Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay after having my car down since March the mtr is finally going back together with all the upgrades in the new block. However here is the problem. It is the first 4.6 build and the shortblock is all done. But, when my buddy went to install the oil pump last night he needed to know if there are some bolts for this that are longer and need to go in specific spots or what the deal was. It's been so long I do not remember. Does anyone have a page with a bolt diagram for the oil pump? Were any of the holes associated with the timing cover? I have searched and no luck so far... Thanks! This is an aluminum romeo aluminum block we are building.

· Registered
215 Posts
One thing I need to ask...are you using an aftermarket or Ford oil pump? If you are using aftermarket (like Mellings), sometime the bolts are too long and will hit the crankshaft counterweights. When this happens, the crank will not turn when you try to turn it over with a wrench. And it will tear things up real quick when you try to crank it with the starter. Regardless, make sure you can turn it over easily by hand before starting.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
The Ford workshop manual doesn't make any reference to any difference between the (3) bolts that hold the oil pump to the block. The only note is to torque to 10 Nm (89 in-lbs). So I would presume the bolts are the same length.

Do you need a copy of the workshop manual?

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
The long one goes in the top right hole...IIRC.

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Yes but that's only if your using the later plastic guides. The earlier metal guides don't attach to the oil pump housing and so the oil pump would use the same size bolts for all holes in that situation

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.