Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a couple quick and easy questions for most of you on here...
1996 mustang, 5 speed, 4.6 stock accept for CAI (doesn't say which brand on it, but it does run through the inner fender). I was told it's chipped..where do I look?
Ballpark what kind of HP and TQ am I looking at? I just bought the car, so far, it seems fairly quick...other then gears, what add-ons could I do for less then 500 bucks?
Thanks,
Jon

·
Wangan GTO
1,425 Posts
96 Mustang = The fail ! I should know I have one...lol. I dunno about chipped but it could be tuned and some dealer scan tools could tell you. Factory is good shape it's about 216 now depending on how well it was maintained. Then add about 13 years of questionable driving and who knows.... So with a CAI I'd say 220 maybe and that's being nice. Less then 500 ? Are talking all together or per part ?

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
you can get a pi intake and pi cams for under $500, i would spend more than $200 and have a friend that has both of those items (sure on the intake, no on the cams?). if the car has a chip, the computer is in the passenger side kick panal. Its held in with one long push pin, but first you have the remove the door sill, just yank up on it and it comes out. (and i do mean yank!) The computer had a 5.5mm bolt that holds the hold-down on the computer, you slide it down and at the top the chip would be sticking out, they are normal 2"x1.5" in size and have a cord attached with a switch. you should see that cord coming out behing the kick panel before you remove anything. but if the car was programmed via a flash tune that plugs into your OBD-II port, there is really no way of knowing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PI cams and intake, are those on the 1999-2004 GT's stock? What HP and TQ gains whould these add? Are these the sole reason for the HP and TQ increase in 1999? What about these trick flow 2V heads I keep hearing about, are those for 1996-1998s and or 1999-2004? I know these seem like some elementary questions, but I spent quite some time surfing....and let me tell you it could be hours before I'd find an answer! Sure appreciate you guys telling me your unlimited plethera of knowledge :) Oh and I guess I was looking for ballpark of total crank HP/TQ having CAI, flowmasters w/ x pipe, and a chip. And yes w/ 130,000 miles of use and probably some abuse :) :)
Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
The PI cams and intake, are those on the 1999-2004 GT's stock? What HP and TQ gains whould these add? Are these the sole reason for the HP and TQ increase in 1999? What about these trick flow 2V heads I keep hearing about, are those for 1996-1998s and or 1999-2004? I know these seem like some elementary questions, but I spent quite some time surfing....and let me tell you it could be hours before I'd find an answer! Sure appreciate you guys telling me your unlimited plethera of knowledge :) Oh and I guess I was looking for ballpark of total crank HP/TQ having CAI, flowmasters w/ x pipe, and a chip. And yes w/ 130,000 miles of use and probably some abuse :) :)
Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!
Yes, those are from the 99-04's. Most people do the pi heads too, but for the extra work, its nice bump in compression to about 10:1. The intake and cams will give probably 30hp, but you should ask someone who has done the swap. You may find the complete package (heads, cams, Intake) for $500. Then its a $100 for the FRPP head swap kit. If you can wait since there's a long list, those TFS heads supposedly are the real deal and cost just under 2k. 96-04 cars can use them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm 2K for the TFS heads....supercharger be a better bolt on then??? Just thinkin outloud...and throwin that out there...

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
for the money, you may be able to pick up a PI longblock with a lot less miles than you have. A blower has the most potential, change a pulley and boom, you have more power.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You can always find a good cheap blower here. That is what I did!

·
Wangan GTO
1,425 Posts
You can spray it too !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts