Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy or common is swapping the 4.6 out in favor of the 5.4?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its becoming more common. The engine is more or less a bolt in, hook up your electronics and drive away. The biggest problem is the 5.4 is taller than the 4.6 and the intake system used is taller still. It causes a hood clearance problem. You can use an intake off a 5.4 van engine which is lower than the pickup intake and install cowl hood. Its a good swap lots more torque.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the stock computer even work

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm begining to plan the swap for next spring in my 93' Vicki. Still have some old 289 / 302 / 5.0 engines and stuff to get rid of. I'm sure a hood scoop is in order for the swap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
is there an intake that looks like the 4.6l mustangs? all the truck intakes i've seen are different. If i were to go 5.4L route, i would want the sleeper factor of letting folks believe its a 4.6l instead of telling the difference from the intake.

·
Registered
98 Posts
5.4 swap

I guess. I'd try to put on the best heads possible and be done with it. If you want to pull a boat, sure the 2v heads rock. For flat out hp, I don't see why you'd do all the work for a 5.4 swap and slap on 2v heads. Both are definitely sweet!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just go ahead & do the V-10 swap.

It's just as easy as the 5.4 swap into a Crown Vic or a Grand Marquis, and there's TONS more torque.

I know a guy who did just that, and with the exception of the cowl-induction hood, it looks factory. Engine even used the 4.6 motor mounts if I remember correctly.
All he had to do was fab a custom intake tube to the TB.

He runs a (severely traction-limited) 13.1 in the 1/4. :shocked

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: 5.4 swap

Streetracer said:
I don't see why you'd do all the work for a 5.4 swap and slap on 2v heads.
Its called "cost"... My swap cost about $800 total, and that was going from a 98k mile 4.6 to a 4k mile 5.4. I solved the intake problem by making billet adapters to allow the stock (or any other 4.6, Bullit, Reichard, etc..) intake bolt on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: Re: 5.4 swap

TurboX2 said:
Its called "cost"... My swap cost about $800 total, and that was going from a 98k mile 4.6 to a 4k mile 5.4. I solved the intake problem by making billet adapters to allow the stock (or any other 4.6, Bullit, Reichard, etc..) intake bolt on.
i dont suppose you plan anytime soon that you are going to replicate those adapters do you? :evil

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually yes, I'd like to get them produced but I have zero connections in the machining business so its hard to find a good deal (they don't know you, they want a bunch of money up front). I'm probably gonna start making at least a couple more sets by hand soon, got guys that want them plus I'll have something to walk into a shop with vs. just a cad drawing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could sell the PI heads, buy a set of DOHC heads, and just have to worry about the intake for a helluva lot more hp.

I know u saved a few bucks now but in the long run, the cost/hp ratio might be better with the DOHC route. I think Al just made 500hp to the tires with his.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I had $15,000 to spend I might build a motor just like Al's....

I wanted something dead nuts reliable whether I drive it to work or across the country, with a big torque/power boost, and I got that. If I do heads and cams I can get well over 300rwhp while retaining lots of low-end torque, thats all I want out of this thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
buzz -- tried to fire it up and found out my "almost-new" weldon pump was dead.. so i have another coming. it should be here tomorrow.

turbox2 -- $15,000? yer way off bro. FYI -- I just picked up a 5.4L SOHC longblock for $150, complete with injectors, rails, intake, etc. Navi heads $300-400... and i haven't decided what kinda intake to slap on this thing.

The 5.4 dohc that is in my car now was mega cheap although it is a different animal than al's (stock cobra intake manifold, 96-98 B heads, shm cams, etc).

I mean if u just want 300 rwhp and good torque, a 98gt with a roots would do it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Streetracer said:
turbox2 -- $15,000? yer way off bro. FYI -- I just picked up a 5.4L SOHC longblock for $150, complete with injectors, rails, intake, etc. Navi heads $300-400... and i haven't decided what kinda intake to slap on this thing.
Sure, bolt that stuff together and you'll have a setup just like Al's, right? LOL Umm, no.

:p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Al's motor is a 5.4 block, navi heads w/ custom cams, and an HCI intake.

if you're only turning it to 7000 it's not that expensive bro.

stop whining about it, i have a similar setup w/ different heads/intake already in my car and it runs great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whining? Since when is discussing something whining? I was under the impression that Al's motor was using aftermarket rods, custom pistons, throw in machine work & zero balancing, sfi balancer, light flywheel/clutch, port the heads, put $1500+ into lightweight valvetrain components, $1000 for cams, $1000-$3000 for intake depending how you go, fuel system, etc... thats a far, far, FAR cry from a used sohc shortblock & stock Navi heads (your budget stuff mentioned above). Thats not criticism of whatever you've chosen to do, simply trying to make a fair comparison.

Also, try to realize that not everyone wants what you want, I've had a 4v Cobra and I hated the power curve. I want something in my daily driver that will shove my ass down the road and feel strong at part throttle, not just wot & high rpm. I've got 342rwtq at 3500 rpm and about 310 way down at 2000. My car with the auto trans will easily scoot past people on the freeway without even unlocking the torque converter, much less having to downshift. I like that. I built what I wanted, not what other people want me to want.... ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
yer whining about the cost. u don't need the forged internals to make the good power.. it's a good idea but if u really want to keep cost down u can use stock hardware and keep it >7k ...

if u only wanted 300hp there are easier ways..

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.