Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has just purchased a set of Trick Flow 185cc Track heat modular heads (150lb springs). He is about to send the heads to have the powdered metal guides replaced with bronze units. Brian Tooley and I had this discussion before. In his opinion, and mine a person would be messing up in doing this. What are YOUR opinions? If you reply, please give your reasoning, or thoughts behind why the bronze guides will be better. Thanks - Derek
5.3L Mod Motor Twin Turbo build
MHS 2.5 turbo cams
2003 Mustang GT Vert - Street Strip Duty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think he would be better off leaving those guides in place given the design of the spring seat thickness in the head...they are thin compared to a PI head, so less support for the valve guide. If you press out the powdered metal ones, it could potentially weaken that area and install of bronze guide could be cocked requiring valve seats to be re-cut to be concentric. I believe the bronze guide is a better guide overall, but not at the risk of damaging the head. This is no problem on a PI head as it has more material to work with concerning support. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting Jeff. I see your point on the stability in the guide itself. The owner will do whatever he wants, I was simply trying to prevent him from making the mistake. You know the build from our local site....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts