Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a heavily stroked 32v 4.6L, to the tune of 324" from VT Competition Engines (http://www.vtengines.com) or building a 32v 5.4L.

The engine in question will be subjected to 800-1200 twin turbocharged horsepower.

I would prefer to stick with a 4.6L for clearance issues, my question is how strong would the motor be, after being stroked that far? Is it going to make it weak in any way. I know the engine comes with new ductile iron liners.

The one I'm talking about specifically is located here, at the bottom of the page, last one listed, 324ci Billet Big Bore Stroker.
http://www.vtengines.com/Short46.htm

Anyway, I'd like to have some feedback from the heavy hitters here. TIA.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know scott...I am a dealer for VT, but I wanted some outside opinions also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
umm...then maybe Modular Performance?

I haven't heard of anyone really pushing the bigbore blocks or the stroker kits for that matter.....most I've heard is one dude making like 650hp on 15 or less PSI.....

SJ

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that I'm looking for other suppliers, it's just that I want to know if running that big of stroke will weaken the engine in any way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the increased stroke won't weaken the motor it will increase the inertia stresses though which will require premium rods/pistons/crank. My issue on a stroker would be the ring package, but if it's a race motor then that's a non-issue. The other thing w/ a 324" motor is gonna be the cylinder wall thickness. I think if you go as big as your talking about going you will be the one finding out just how much the re-sleeved block can take.

SJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'd imagine you wouldn't be able to spin it very fast with a very long stroke.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Al spins his 4.16" stoked 5.4L high enough, you'll be fine with a ~3.75" stroke and a 3.70" bore depending on the internals--whose does VT use? Crank?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Fourcam305 said:
Al spins his 4.16" stoked 5.4L high enough, you'll be fine with a ~3.75" stroke and a 3.70"
I would love to know what the power difference would be between the two engines (with everything else being equal).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Rad,

Don't use the 324" big bore stroker. The cylinder walls are too thin for that level of boost/power. Haven't seen one fail, but I don't want you to have the first failure. We just built an aluminum blocked 302" billet stroker for a twin turbo'd cobra that is making 1300+hp, so we can get the job done still. Our billet rods are good to 2000hp, and our cranks are custom made for us, without failure thus far. Thanks, this is just our .02 to the thread.

Regards
Jim/Scott
Team VT

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. I would like to have more cubes, but not sacrificing strength to get there.

·
Banned
900 Posts
With regard to a 322-324 big bore/stroker vs. a 5.4L with stock dimensions, I would *assume* the 4.6L based motor as the better performer. 1) 3.70" bore vs. 3.55", the valves are unshrouded and will flow substantially more air. 2) 3.75" stroke vs. 4.16", the 4.6L based motor should be able to rev a good amount higher than the 5.4L despite the fact it has nearly the same displacement.
Of course the most important comparison of the two motors would be the quality of the componenets used--ie stoker cranks, tolerances, etc.
JMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts