Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 1999GT factory 5speed car that I am currently swapping over to 408W and C4. I have a couple of things that need to be addressed before I can continue with the build. The mod motor and T-45 are out and sold. P/S and A/C are out. AJE Kmember is in(BTW I'm VERY HAPPY with this piece!!!).

I'm not going with powersteering, so I'm gonna have to do something with the brakes. Ideas? Any step by step write-ups on this?

What did you guys do as far as a C4 cross-member goes? I saw the shifter pic thread, and that gave me some great ideas for the other stuff, and the info on the driveshafts was excellent as well! Looks like you guys have alot of knowledge to share!

Thanks,
Zach

P.S. for whoever is wondering I've got a 84 block solid roller, flat tops, milled Dart CNC 225 Pro1's, crane 619/640 lift cam, ported super victor, proform 750.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
need a new k-member to hold the pushrod motor (which I see you already have), you'll need an entire fuel conversion kit, new exhaust system, you'll most likely have to fab your own C4 cross member.

is this going to be carbed or EFI? if EFI, you'll need an entire new wiring harness from a 351W and an ECU with a custom flash.

you're talking big bucks, when you may just be better offf going with a forged and built 4.6 with a blower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have EVERYTHING aside from C4 crossmember and a brake system that will work. It's gonna be carb'd. Fuel, exhaust, ignition,etc is taken care of.

Just needing some input from someone that has experience with converting to manual brakes(or other alternative), an going to a C4.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Depends what front brakes you are using. Are you keeping the stock calipers? or lightweight aerospaces or similar? I fabbed my own manual setup but i run a machine shop so it wasnt a problem. I would call Maximum Motorsports they can prob hook you up with something. Good luck man, sounds like a great project, something Ive always wanted to do. For n/a power its primarily the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
use a t56 crossmember and drill 2 new holes in the mounting pads under the car once u set it all together u will see what im talking bout ive done it a couple times

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends what front brakes you are using. Are you keeping the stock calipers? or lightweight aerospaces or similar? I fabbed my own manual setup but i run a machine shop so it wasnt a problem. I would call Maximum Motorsports they can prob hook you up with something. Good luck man, sounds like a great project, something Ive always wanted to do. For n/a power its primarily the only way to go.
I would like to retain the stock lines and calipers, but I don't know if that's gonna be possible. The guy helping me with the build wants to put V8 fox brake system on it. Booster, master cylinder, lines, proportional valve, capliers, rotors, etc....

That's gonna take some work, but it would probably be the better move financially.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would like to retain the stock lines and calipers, but I don't know if that's gonna be possible. The guy helping me with the build wants to put V8 fox brake system on it. Booster, master cylinder, lines, proportional valve, capliers, rotors, etc....

That's gonna take some work, but it would probably be the better move financially.
If it were me I wouldnt do it. I loved having the manual setup. You can use some of the stock stuff but ditch the abs/trac unit. Check this out MANUAL BRAKES. Thats MM's kit that you could make work. Read their section on master cylinder selection. You can buy a prop valve from summit that has adj rear knee points and a pressure switch for the brake lights for pretty cheap. Plumb it all to your line lock and the calipers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i wouldnt even consider fox brakes urs are ten times better eithor use a v6 booster/ master or use a manual kit and bypass the abs unit throw it away

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the v6 and gt cars have the same brakes except for master and booster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts