Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was talking with this chump at school who has a SRT-4 Neon, he claims he has 450 hp (not sure if that's at the crank or the front wheels as he didn't specify), but says he's in the high 11's low 12's with this car at the track with his car.

can the SRT-4's hold that much power? he claims its' all stock except for upgrading the turbo, to some kind of Greddy Turbo or whatever ricers use.

im thinking bs, but figured it was worth a post.

·
I am the Stig
2,329 Posts
yeah an SRT-4 can make that much power. They can be domestic roll kings. I got my ass handed to me one time by one. Looked like trash doing it too. Vowed the never let it happen again.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah an SRT-4 can make that much power. They can be domestic roll kings. I got my ass handed to me one time by one. Looked like trash doing it too. Vowed the never let it happen again.
interesting. so can the stock motor handle that or do they have to upgrade the pistons and internals before going that high?

·
Registered
430 Posts
-gt40 or bigger turbo
-750 cc injectors, no return line
-30+ psi of boost
-safc or dtec

I believe that is what they call the "simple" way to 450whp in an SRT4...

I believe they can do that easily on stock internals, I had a buddy who made like 425 or somewhere in the 420s at the wheels on stock internals in his...but he sold it..and bought a terminator...

·
horrably stock
1,409 Posts
Yep unfortunately it is very doable in those car's.

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
yeah they can, but then traction is the huge issue off the line.

·
Banned
325 Posts
take a look under his hood if you get a chance. ask him what kind of turbo, exhaust, how much boost, ect. you can use that to match others proven power productions out of that combo and see if he is full of it or not..... i have a friend in NC who has a 57 trim at 23 pounds and cam, bolt ons making right around 410 at his front tires and its quick......

·
a legend in my own mind
660 Posts
simply refuse to roll race them and its over if you have the power to weight to hold them off.

this is where a turbo fox or aeroSN can get the weight competitive.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Yeah they can, my dad has one with stock internals, small Hahn 20G turbo, 750cc injectors, 3" catback, etc. Makes around 440whp.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I tuned one last weekend and it made a little over 400. I think if I could have loaded it on my dyno, it would do better, because spooling it was a problem. Turbo was a little too big on this particular car, but he is building a motor for it.

Definitely an impressive car, and I will not look at them the same.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry!
1,409 Posts
There's one in my city that makes insane horsepower, over 600 h.p. on max boost? GasAlley knows the car, it's a legendary SRT-4 in this area. Old school stickers in the rear windows, little red monster for sure...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't become mystified by everyone's responses on here. They are like most factory forced induction cars, they can withstand more horsepower because they are built for boost. However, 450hp is close to it's limit. Sure it can take it but, for how long? It's like running a KB Cobra. Sure you make 600+rwhp but the car is being pushed to it's limits and it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens.

Let that guy in the SRT 4 brag about how much power he has. You'll be the one laughing when he's forking out thousands to rebuild his engine.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
kb2.2gt are u talking bout nigels car ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
im not sure hes up been there ive only met him a few times at the dyno they were trying some new setup he had sold his old setup

·
I'm Your Huckleberry!
1,409 Posts
Don't become mystified by everyone's responses on here. They are like most factory forced induction cars, they can withstand more horsepower because they are built for boost. However, 450hp is close to it's limit. Sure it can take it but, for how long? It's like running a KB Cobra. Sure you make 600+rwhp but the car is being pushed to it's limits and it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens.

Let that guy in the SRT 4 brag about how much power he has. You'll be the one laughing when he's forking out thousands to rebuild his engine.
Not mystified, I saw that same SRT4 I referred to the other day driving around with the engine still intact, probably dialed down into the 450 h.p. range.

I guess that's why I still have my Eaton blower, don't want to grenade my engine...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
interesting, i'll be sure to stay away from them on the streets and at the track, until I get the ponies to put the claweetus on their ass.

I still have a a bad taste in my mouth from getting slapped at Nashville Superspeedway back in June/July, I went up against a stock blue SRT-4 Neon, and he walloped me by a full second. I was not a happy camper.

I get done farting around with all this piddly ass bs I'm doing to my car here in about another 2 or 3 months, I can finally start saving for a forged shortblock and starting getting serious about making some power in this car.

I've got the show, now it's time to get some go!

besides, I gotta show Uncle Meat who his daddy is at some point on the track. :thongue2:

·
Registered
669 Posts
The SRT-4 is a well built car...........great PTW Ratio and responds to bolt on's like the terminators do.......My buddie Dan put down 450FWHP on race gas on the stock block....he since then rebuilt it and is making 475 FWHP on pump gas...!!!! My buddy Rush has one that is a complete build from ported heads, stroker, overbore......putting down over 700 FWHP with some Nitrous.......anything over 450 FWHP will pull on a 500-600HP terminator....I have seen it and heard my buddy personnally get pissed becaused his KB terminator got beat on the freeway by an SRT-4 with 450+HP.....thier PTW makes them a high roller on the freeway.....but they suck off the line.....they are fun little cars......I went for a ride in my buddies 450 race gas set-up.......HOLY SHIT!!!! lol

"ED"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts