Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading on problems concerning over
revving in first gear on pre '98 models using the 4R70W. I seem
to be having the same problem in a 2001 GT, and I'm wondering if
anyone knows if this problem was remedied after '98 or if I'm
experiencing the same problem and can apply the same fix with
replacing the 1-2 accumulator with an upgraded accumulator.

Also, if anyone knows how to reach Jerry Wroblewski, I'd love to
ask him directly. He wrote an awesome article at
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/index.shtml
and it really sounds like he knows his stuff! (By the way, check
the article out--you won't regret it!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cuse 'Stang:

Mr. W does not post on many boards these days. I don't know him other than from my dyno tune a good number of years ago.

I suggest that you call Darrin, owner of BC_Automotive.com for professional help. He is a good egg and can answer your questions (if you are not intending to buy a transmission from him).

The accumulators do wear out so it is possible that your 1-2 accumulator is getting hung up in the bore and causing a delayed shift. For reference, my '98 came with the new style accumulators and never had a problem with the shifts.

If you changed the rear gears but did not change the shift points (MPH, RPM) then it is likely that the rev limiter is being hit before the shift is completed.

I suggest you do the J-mod and add a cooler and your transmission will thank you.

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your tranny should have the upgraded accumulator. How many miles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice guys!

Blown14psi, I have 71,000 miles, but the problem has been here a while--long enough for Ford to tell me "that's the way it is" while the car was still under warranty. (I wish I'd dug deeper back then!)

Elisa, thank you for all the help!

Chris, no rear end changes, so the problem shouldn't be there, but I am most definitely going to check out the J-mod. And thanks for the point to Darrin; I will definitely be in touch.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you have additional power, over stock, then you will need to do the mod, or get the tranny shift points adjusted in your tune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts