Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any guesses on what I could do on the dyno with the following: (This is just an idea I'm working on in my head...if there's an opportunity for more power in some area, feel free to offer up any suggestions)

Navigator block - .020 over
Ford GT Heads
'00 Cobra R Lower/Fabbed Upper (slight porting on entry/horn side)
11:1 CR (or higher if I can get it)
Fully Forged Internals
Crower Stage III N/A cams
3.73 gears
90mm TB
42lb injectors

I would ideally like 500+rwhp and similar torque if possible.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which cams would you suggest?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still trying to figure out what will fit since I'm shoving it into a GT. I've FR500, but I haven't done enough research yet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Get zero deck pistons, the 5.4 stock design has the piston 0.15" in the hole. That will bring the compression up really nice.

However I do have to agree that its not going to be a cheap motor to build..............

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm commited now though. I already bought the Cobra R intake and Ford GT heads a little while back. Maybe next build though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Already having the heads and intake paid for does make it a lot easier to do.

Zero deck pistons, real set of cams, and let it rip IMHO.
+1
Diamond makes some nice 5.4 specific flat-tops and small dish pistons either one will net you 11.7 or 11.0 comp on stock 4V combustion chamber. They also offer them gas ported for a little xtra HP n/a

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should I port and polish the heads at all? I noticed the edges around the combustion chamber are a little rough. Intuitively I would think porting the combustion side would increase my volume thus lowering my compression though. Like I said, if I could get 500rwhp, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Should I port and polish the heads at all? I noticed the edges around the combustion chamber are a little rough. Intuitively I would think porting the combustion side would increase my volume thus lowering my compression though. Like I said, if I could get 500rwhp, I'd be happy.
The main place they benefit from porting wise is on the exhaust side. Polish on chambers would be good too. A true 5:4 specific flat top piston and polished chambers opened up a little would yield a nice 11.5:1 or so comp ratio.

Posted by SSP

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I am pretty biased when it comes to mod heads......................

IMHO they all need good bronze guides and a good performance valve job at a minimum.

In the right hands you can pick up a bunch of flow without enlarging the intake port on those heads.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
To get an honest 450rwhp from that setup, it's going to have to be quite the radical motor setup N/A. It will require Premium fuel or better, high RPM (7000-7200), and high compression. Is this going to be in a daily driver?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To get an honest 450rwhp from that setup, it's going to have to be quite the radical motor setup N/A. It will require Premium fuel or better, high RPM (7000-7200), and high compression. Is this going to be in a daily driver?
93 Octane always on all my cars (which is actually necessary if you look at my signature). The hope is that it will be a daily driver. Aiming for higher 11's on the compression ratio (11.5+). I already have the FGT heads and a Cobra R intake. Hopefully the runner length of the R intake will help with the torque. For cams though, I have no idea. That's my next decision. I'm looking @ Crower or HiTech Stage 3 cams. I've heard good things about Crower thus far. HiTech, I've heard little to nothing about. There's not much difference in the cams other than the lift. The Crower's are 228/232 and the HiTech's are 236/230.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Like others have said before, just talk to nick about some custom MHS/ bullitt 4v cams!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like others have said before, just talk to nick about some custom MHS/ bullitt 4v cams!
crazystang25, I see you have magnapacks...are those ridiculously loud or are they tame? I have regular magnaflow mufflers, but I think I could use a little something more ;-)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts