Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

5.4 Shortblock

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  thecableguy 
#1 ·
Are all 5.4 shortblocks treated equally? What i mean is a 5.4 out of a E150 Econoline Van the same as a 5.4 out of a F150 truck? What other cars/trucks/vans can we get the 5.4s out of at the junkyards and what should we be looking for? Is there an aluminum 5.4? Inquiring minds would love to know. Sorry for the incompetence.

#2 ·
Don't know specifics, but there has to at least be a difference in pistons between PI and non-PI motor, so just like a 4.6 if you put PI heads on an older shortblock you'd have very high compression. All are supposed to have steel cranks. I don't think there's any difference in the van motors aside from the intake, and the oil filter/ radiator hose mount is different but the one from your 4.6 will bolt right on.

#5 ·
Nope, drops right in. Its real tight because of the abs module and master cylinder, but with a little tilting will slide in. I used stock 4.6 headers and had adequate clearance to the steering rack, on the passenger side the headers had a worthless lump on the outside of the flange that needed to be ground off.

#6 ·
The Lightning is the only 5.4 with a Steel crank, all other 5.4s have cast cranks. Also, all trucks after 98(Not 100% on yr) use the PI Heads and have the dished pistons. The Lightning also shares the same rods that the standard 5.4 use, the only difference is ceramic coated pistons in the Lightning and 8.4:1 Compression.

#7 · (Edited)
Yep more or less a bolt in with the 2v heads, if you want to make an even more interesting swap go with the 4v heads, now this is really tight I dont believe you can take the cam covers off with the engine installed and you have to remove the master cylinder during the install. But the power gains are worth it. The other problem is hood clearance with either motor, you can use a van intake on the 2v but they dont flow at higher rpms. Another other option is to make intake adaptors similar to TurboX2s idea. With the 4v some have cut a cobra intake and widened it to fit.

Edit: There is some debate on the steel crank issue, some say most if not all late model 5.4s come with a steel crank. I have personally had 2 apart in my shop(1 2000, 1 2002), both had steel cranks. Not to say that is the norm just my experience.

#8 ·
John M. The Lightning is the only 5.4 with a Steel crank, all other 5.4s have cast cranks. Also, all trucks after 98(Not 100% on yr) use the PI Heads and have the dished pistons. The Lightning also shares the same rods that the standard 5.4 use, the only difference is ceramic coated pistons in the Lightning and 8.4:1 Compression.
All 5.4's had forged cranks with one exception..There is some debate about part numbers because a cast crank is listed begining around mid '01 for F-150 trucks/vans. I have never seen a cast 5.4 crank.
The PI heads began finding their way onto 5.4's mid '99. So some of the '99's had PI heads.

The 4V 5'4 have flat top pistons. Both PI and non Pi 5.4's have dished pistons. Their volumes vary.

Lightnings have a forged piston with a moly coated skirt.

#9 ·
GT281 you want to make an even more interesting swap go with the 4v heads, now this is really tight I dont believe you can take the cam covers off with the engine installed and you have to remove the master cylinder during the install. But the power gains are worth it
You can remove the right cam cover. If you install a 4V with out the mastercyl/hydroboost unit in place you will not be able to install it after the engine is in. If the master cyl fails, The engine must come out to replace it

#12 ·
Boss 330 said:
All 5.4's had forged cranks with one exception..There is some debate about part numbers because a cast crank is listed begining around mid '01 for F-150 trucks/vans. I have never seen a cast 5.4 crank.
The PI heads began finding their way onto 5.4's mid '99. So some of the '99's had PI heads.

The 4V 5'4 have flat top pistons. Both PI and non Pi 5.4's have dished pistons. Their volumes vary.

Lightnings have a forged piston with a moly coated skirt.
Al while I respect what youve done and think your car is very impressive, Im just gonna backdown. It seems that all these 5.4 threads head the same way, to many opinions and always people bringing a 4V into the equation when the original poster never even asked.

#14 ·
2000BlackGT so i want to be looking for a mid 99-mid 01 5.4 shortblock to be able to install my PI heads and have a forged crank?
You could use any year 2V 5.4 shortblock. Using PI heads on a non PI shortblock will raise the compression ratio approx. .7 . A 4V shortblock with PI heads would probably result in a cr that is to high for unleaded gas.

#16 ·
TurboX2 Al, do you know the size of the piston dish on a PI 5.4?
Don't have a accurate answer. The non pi has dish volume around 7-9cc the PI is around 16. I just hauled off a 55Gal drum 3/4 full of stock rod/pistons. Next time i have one in my hand i'll check it. How's the car running ?

#17 · (Edited)
Car runs great, not a screamer (252/342 at the wheels through stock 4R70), but a fun driver. Will hopefully get into cams and ported heads at some point, but I think a torque converter and 3.73s will come first. Unfortunately "first" does not necessarily equate to "soon".... :( :p

:edit: Did a little calculating and the 5.4 will need approx double the dish of a 4.6 to have the same compression ratio with the same combustion chamber, isn't it the 4.6 thats around 16cc??

#18 · (Edited)
:edit: Did a little calculating and the 5.4 will need approx double the dish of a 4.6 to have the same compression ratio with the same combustion chamber, isn't it the 4.6 thats around 16cc??
Yep 4.6 is approx 16cc. When you did your calculating did you take in to account the 5.4 has a -.110 to -.124 deck height. ? This adds approx 12cc to the cc volume.

#19 ·
No, I was assuming same deck height. I'm shocked that Ford would build the motor with basically zero quench characteristic, thats detrimental to the all important emissions testing. What is the deck height on the 4.6? I don't know all the little details on these like I do on 302 stuff, got to start writing some things down... :)

#20 ·
TurboX2 No, I was assuming same deck height. I'm shocked that Ford would build the motor with basically zero quench characteristic, thats detrimental to the all important emissions testing. What is the deck height on the 4.6?
4.6's are -.010 to -.016

Also the cast /forged crank debate was hashed over in the 5.4 cobra thread on the corral last year. If you try to buy a crank the only listing is a cast crank. ($196.00) If your parts guy is a lazy ass thats what you'll get. My guy used the engineering # F75EAE, F756303AA, F756303AC to come up with PN #F75E6303 A18E.
He checked today and there about 100 in the system. The forged part retails for $750.00

#23 ·
so with me having a 2v 5.4 in my 01 f250super duty, i would be able to swap in a 4v head instead of keeping a 2 valve????? man i know nothing about modular fords. all i know is that i want more POWER!!! well i plan on running a 39.5 inch tire so power is a must when running through cake batter mud. i just don't know where to start, bad enough having 5 threads holding in my plugs. thought a bout a 460 swap, but i want to keep it with the 5.4 if possible. i always hear of crazy power out of the 4.6 but what about the 5.4???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.