Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More and more I hear(read) about this swap. Someone here was able to fit his GT intake on it(with some handmade spacers) so my question is : From which truck I should be looking at to get a 5.4L Longblock, from what I can find(read) about it, the stock wireing harness and computer will fit right there.What about a nice sleeper look:cool:
Exhaust manifold from a stock 5.4L will adapt to my stock exhaust(Exhaust needs to be cut and a little bit wider).
What about the injectors, do we have to reprogram the computer or my Diablo Delta chip with a new tune will take care of it ?
I guess the transmission will bolt right there, but I may have to get a new hood(something I don't want). :(

My NOSzle kit should fit right there( I guess I'll need new jets)

Anything else I should be looking at ?

In stock form on a 5.4L, what is the HP & Torque rating at the Crankshaft , I'm guessing 290HP+ & 350FT-Lbs torque , let me know if I'm wrong.

Hope some of you can help me on this.
Thanks !

·
Registered
131 Posts
5.4 hp and tq

the stock rating on the 2003 5.4 is 260hp and i'm not sure of the torque but it's more then 300 i do know the lightning is 385 tq w/supercharger so i doubt the 5.4 regular truck motors have 350.

·
Registered
131 Posts
update

actually i just went to the ford website and the regular truck 5.4 is rated at [email protected] and [email protected], damn that would rip your neck off in stock trim w/a 100 shot it will probibly be around 500

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This can be a nice sleeper...:evil
Hope someone here can post some comments about his swap..:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
November issue of 5.0 has a article about this swap and the adapters you mentioned.
Newer is better, yes you should reprogram your chip, 19# injectors should be fine.
The van motor has a lower intake but lacks flow at the upper end, the pick-up manifold will require much more hood clearance but flows better. The lightening motor with blower is about 6" above the stock hood line.
The ideal way to go is with the adaptors, unless someone decides to make a manifold for this swap.

Also keep in mind that Ford says they are under rating all their engine HP and torque numbers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Also keep in mind that the 260 rating is with full accesories, catted truck exhaust, and the truck intake. Stick it in a Mustang with a PI intake and offroad exhaust and you are over 300hp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5.4 swap

has anyone used the lightning intake with a cobra blower?? i know it still b kinda tall, but ud have to have atleast two more inches of clearance with the way the lightning blower is fed from across the top of the blower...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: 5.4 swap

oohsoobad said:
has anyone used the lightning intake with a cobra blower?? i know it still b kinda tall, but ud have to have atleast two more inches of clearance with the way the lightning blower is fed from across the top of the blower...
The bolt pattern is different where the blower bolts to the intake. I had a 01+ Lightning blower next to an 03 cobra blower.

I had thought about that myself though....

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was hoping for more power out of the 5.4L. I would still love to do the swap though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kenne Bell has a blower replacement for the Lightning, maybe they are shorter. Might be worth checking out.
Also the Ford GT has a blown 4v 5.4. Maybe some of the intake parts come available through FRPP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts