Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna do my best to keep up this thread.Just gonna post a couple teaser pics for now.To see if there is any interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
should be easy enough...doesnt someone sell a terminator conversion kit for the focus for like 10k? thought I read that a few years back

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe this will enlighten more on the this subject.Here's a pic of one getting a 347 stroker.One of many we have already built.Check out my cardomain page to see the one with a 03' Cobra w/KB SC in it.It's on a trailer as I type heading for port in Brunswick,Ga.Heading to it's owner in England.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've never seen a DOHC 5.4 focus. The 4.6 is already a tight fit!

Here's a couple of 4.6 focuses

More pics in the thread http://forums.focaljet.com/team-rigz/595969-4-6l-v8-focus-new-vids-post-88-a.html

Here's my favorite V8 Focus Swap ever:

More info in this thread: http://forums.focaljet.com/team-rigz/625895-2000-focus-wagon-4-6-dohc-v8-lots-pics.html

Another one of my favorites is the "ZX427TT" I can't remember where I saw that one. Twin Turbo 427 Windsor Focus.

But I think the fit and finish of a modular focus is awesome. It's almost like it could come from the factory like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
"ZX427TT"? Is that Tony from NY,was it Blue?If it was,last I knew it was still 302 block.We done the rolling chassis work on that car.Like the wagon though,never seen that one before.The surrounding look like here in the south.There was a guy here Fl. some where building a wagon,wonder if thats his.I remember the one HPA Motorsports built,that one was pretty sweet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm trying to see if there is still an interest in this conversion.As I work at the "Home of the V8 Focus".We have built numerous cars in different configurations.Heck if someone is into auto-x we have one ready to go.Has 4.6L SOHC with 6spd,full rollcage,fuelcell,RS body kit and wheels,coilovers,big brakes.If interested I have pics to sent ya,it's for sale.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't remember who's car it was... I saw it online somewhere.

There's certainly an interest in the conversion, especially since these cars are getting cheaper and so are the powertrain components.

So, do you think a 5.4 4V would fit? Ever seen one?

I'd also be interested to see a big block under the hood, like a 460, or god forbid, a 514. Perhaps with turbos or spray.

Homer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A 5.4 is slightly taller and wider,yes.Fit,of course,there is plenty of room.We think there may be a issue with hood and the valve covers.Other than that no problems getting it in.I hope interest picks up soon.The reason I'm doing this thread,Mr. Kugel is talking about not making the kits anymore.We are the east coast supplier and installer of the V8 Focus Conversion,for Kugel Components.Oh a side note if any one is wondering.A friend brought by their 08' 4dr and and it's the same as a 00' so we know we can do a conversion in a Focus 00'-08'.Wish some one would bring us a 2dr 08'.I done some measuring and there is more room from the firewall to the rad support in a 08'.As that is the only part of putting a mod motor in a Focus that is tight.Goto my profile and link to my CarDomain page and on page 2 u'll see how tight.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It'd be a shame if he quit making the kits, but I can understand why. That'll always be a low volume specialty product, no matter how popular it gets. It'd be tough to break even, given the amount of research and development that must go into something like that. If you don't mind me asking, how many have been sold?

Maybe he could focus on reducing the costs of the kit by simplifying it or outsourcing production. If the price goes down, it can only help sales.

But I think it would be in his best interests to at least keep it offered for sale, even if it's on a "build to order" basis so he doesn't have to keep lots of inventory laying around.

I see these kits becoming more popular as the focuses get older. Before, it was hard to justify the costs of the swap when the cars and engines were new and relatively expensive. One of the first 03 cobra focus swaps I saw, some guy bought a brand new focus and a brand new 03 cobra. At the end of the day, he had a nice car, but then he had a brand new leftover 03 cobra chassis and a brand new focus engine. that's kind of a waste. $35,000 for the 03 cobra, and $20,000 for the focus. Now, you've got yourself a $55-60,000 focus with lots of leftover parts.

Nowadays, you can get everything you need from the junkyard. Find a focus with a blown engine for a couple grand, and then find a wrecked donor car for a couple grand. A couple grand for the kit and other parts, and you can have yourself a V8 focus for $10-$15 grand, if that!

With that being said, I only see the popularity of these kits improving. Especially if the company can help the customer find donor cars.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We help find donor cars,thats what helps save cost for our customers.So they aren't paying for a car to be shipped to us.We find one for them to buy locally.And the plus side to that is we aren't starting out with some northern rust bucket.Not sure on total kits sold.My boss has built 18,sold I don't know how many kits or parts of a kit.I've helped with 5 of the 18.I too have thought of away to condense a kit.But as my boss pointed out,if u start incorporating to many other components to a partial kit then someone may start a bad rap on Kugel's stuff cause something failed.Even though it wasn't Kugels stuff that failed per say.It's just that his kit is complete and it fits and works.U asked about a big block,he done a mock up and it fits no problem.BUT there's no way to put a oil pan on,cause of the modified k-member and rack location.Basicly with no pan on,the crank miss's the rack by like 3/4".I'm learning how to build web sites so I can update the shops page.And get updated pricing listed and maybe start doing a few how to video's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think how to videos would be a great idea! Throw em up on YouTube in a step by step series. Go viral with it!

Maybe you could submit a "press release" or something to one of the car shows, such as HorsePower TV on Spike. I don't know how you would go about doing that, but it'd be great exposure. Right now, they're doing a 4.6 4V swap in a Ranger on Trucks. Neat!

Good luck, and I can tell you that the hot rodding community is better off because of your work.

Homer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thankyou,Homer.Here's acouple more pics.Of the stuff I've worked on.And be showing the build of the 5.4 Focus,rightfully called "The Screamin' Yellow Zonker!"The last photo is the car thats getting the 5.4L.The 302 in the pic,now resides in a 66'coupe.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Also any one that comes through checkin' out this thread.That could give me or direct me to a good thread or info on tuning with MSD 6011 box.So I can fire this 5.4L.I've read all the directions and downloaded the Pro Data program.Seems simple enough,just thought I'd ask ahead of time.As stated before I'll keep this thread updated and pics of the build.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got a Focus that I plan to drop a 302 in. It is good to see there is plenty of room for it. Nothing fancy just a BIG cam and some turn downs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ZX3_Joe-Not trying to be a smarty here,but did u notice the links @ the bottom of my posts?We have a toll free # and my boss would be glad to give u the run down on cost.His name is Jim.Hope we can help u with a build.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.