Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a few questions and was wondering if a 5.4 Triton will fit under a cobra R hood or how much clearance is needed for it to fit without a lowering k member.
Also what is all needed to turn a regular 5.4 into a lightning and are there any kits to make the intake plenum not stick thru the hood, thank you all for your help

·
Registered
164 Posts
I knew a guy with a 5.4 swapped new edge GT. It had a cowl hood on it, but I don't remember if the K was lowered or not. Your best bet is going to be grabbing a tape measure and get some hard numbers.

I'm sure the list is long to make that swap. But it's not going to fit under a hood all. A local shop had a Lightning swapped Mustang and the intake stuck through the 2-3" cowl hood. If you want sleeper style you might want to look into turbos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I be measuring to get the clearance deck? And will a Triton handle turbo stock? I heard 5.4's can get the supercharger with better piston heads and the rods are already forged?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd measure from the crank bolt to the top of the intake at least. Then like the height of the intake from where it mounts to the cylinder head to the top. They're used to be a couple of aftermarket intakes that were lower, but I don't know if they're still around.

The rods aren't forged. The only engines that came with real forged rods are the 03/04 Cobras. I think the GT500's have powder forged rods, but I've seen those need to be swapped in the bigger power set ups.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your skill level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do know where to get forged rods for the 5.4 out of a f150 1997, and. Thanks for the info will def see what is what.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mod Max used to be a big supplier of modular parts. I don't know if they're still around. Honestly you can probably run a quick Google search and get a few choices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts