bottoming out?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bottoming out?

Default bottoming out?

i just got my car back and also had it lowered with the Eibach pro kit. it seems to hit the bottom on every bump, and even driving on the highway when there are lumps on the road. My car seems to have a lot of bounce to it. this is aggravating. i could not see what type of shocks and struts i have. they are blue struts and red shocks, i could not find a name on them. should i change my struts and shocks or do you suggest something else? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Icon6 New to the Crew!

Greetings,
    I'm new to the site. I have a 96 Cobra Convertable. It has 70,000 miles on it. It has fresh red paint, new black top, new leather interior, and awesom stereo. Current mods include K&N filter, Hawk Brake pads and slotted rotors. The exhaust is stock except for the flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers. KYB shocks on the corners. The wheels are Chrome Bullits with 10.5" rims in back with 315 Summitomos. I have purhcased a ZEX nitrous system and am awaiting an install.

I decided to join the forum to prevent the poor decisions I have made in the past concering upgrades. I have bought, installed and deinstalled a BBK H-pipe due to the crazy resonation that occured, Eibach Sport Kit springs, due to the unsafe and unpredictable swaying and bottoming out.

What I am hoping to learn from you guys:

1. What chip to use to have a dual tune to run while I'm using nitrous.
    2. What complete exhaust kit to use.
    3. Should I replace the factory headers? I heard aftermarkets don't add much HP.
    4. What suspension springs can I use to lower the car but still have that stock suspension predictability and comfort?
    5. Help on choosing wether or not to change 96 stock heads to a 99 and up head and what other parts I would need.

A quote from my 4 year old son, "Daddy, go faster than that car"

Regards

Red Barron

Icon10 Re Bottoming out

Mr. Cooper,
    First of all, sorry about the previous response. I was promted by the system to make an initial posting to greet the forum and thought I was doing just that. Come to find out, I was posing a response to your entry.

I had the same issues with the Eibach Springs. I had the "Pro Kit" on a 96 convertable and used the stock shocks/struts. It was very unsafe and unpredictable. I quickly changed them back to the stock. I'm awaiting some advise as well on what springs/shocks to use to lower the car but not sacrifice the ride.
    Good luck

RedBarron

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

i dont have a problem with mine are you using the isolaters or are they removed?

I have the Eibach Pro Kit on my vert and have had no problems with the car bottoming out.
    Did you have the factory struts and shocks changed out during the spring install?

Default RE Factory Struts

Thread,

I had actually used the factory struts/shocks. I now have KYB struts/shocks. I wonder if the springs would work better now with the KYBs. I guess there is only one way to find out.
    Thanks
    RedBarron

Quote Originally Posted by Senkak
    I have the Eibach Pro Kit on my vert and have had no problems with the car bottoming out.
    Did you have the factory struts and shocks changed out during the spring install?
    I did not change my struts and shocks, but the previous owner might have. that's why I stated the colors of my current setup, just in case someone can tell me that they are not stock. when I drove it before the prokit install, it had a lot of bounce also. is your suspension stiff or bouncy.

My suspension rides very good. I have done several DE's and the car handled extremely well with no bounce.
    The factory struts and shocks on the Cobra are Bilsteins. They are yellow.
    Your after market pieces may be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Villain
    i dont have a problem with mine are you using the isolaters or are they removed?
    you'll have to educate me on the isolaters, I have no idea where they are or what they llok like.

My suspension rides very good. I have done several DE's and the car handled extremely well with no bounce.
    The factory struts and shocks on the Cobra are Bilsteins. They are yellow.
    Your after market pieces may be your problem.
    will these get rid of my bounce. I priced the set at around 630 at maximum motorsports. thanks for the help.

If that is your problem, yes they will. Bouncing is a sign of bad/worn struts or shocks.
    Bilsteins are high quality suspension components.
    You have good springs so the Bilsteins will only make the car better.
    I'd shop around before you bought from MM. You can buy them on Ebay usually for a better price.

If that is your problem, yes they will. Bouncing is a sign of bad/worn struts or shocks.
    Bilsteins are high quality suspension components.
    You have good springs so the Bilsteins will only make the car better.
    I'd shop around before you bought from MM. You can buy them on Ebay usually for a better price.
    cool, thanks for the help

15. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread