Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the oil-Guru(s)...

During a phone call with KB (missed the techs name), I was told that the factory fill SC oil used in their '03 Cobra blowers is synthetic 5W-50 by Redline. Went searching for Redline 5W-50... it appears that Redline does not make a 5W-50, nor does Royal Purple. At least it wasn't posted on their websites. The only 5W-50 synthetic I was able to come across locally is Syntech. Opinions?

MJ

PS- I tried calling back KB numerous times to get more info, but line was busy (prolly tied up selling more of those bad-azz blowers!)

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I thought in the docs it said a straight 50w not the 5-50. Redline does make a 50w if im not mistaken.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
REDLINE 50wt Synthetic

My 96 Cobra with KB also was recommended this oil by Jim Bell himself...That's what they have in those Measured Bottles..

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
I thought in the docs it said a straight 50w not the 5-50. Redline does make a 50w if im not mistaken.
The oil that Kenne Bell uses is Redline SAE 50, which is actually 15W50.

There's no such thing as 'straight' 50W. Just don't confuse the 15W50 engine oil with the 15W50 race oil. The engine oil will burn in the blower.

Here's a link:

http://www.autochic.com/redline/engine.html

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Thanks for the clarification hammer, the SAE50(ie 15W50) is what I was referring to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to get thru to Victor at KB shortly after my first post. He told me that Redline 50 weight was factory fill, but also mentioned that 5W-50 would work as well (???). I just looked thru KB install manual. On page 4, it lists the oil as "50w synthetic oil". On page 39, it says, "fill with 50WT synthetic oil". Based on Hammer's post, I'm going with the Redline SAE 50 (15W50). {Rich- thanks for the info}.

MJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts