1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Yep I was concerned about the 5-20 vs. 5-30 oil when I first got my car. I found that mobil 1 did not make a 5-20wt. full synthetic and after asking around about what people were using, They told me Mobil 1 5-30. I switched to Mobil 1's 5-30 a while back as it is what I have always run in all of my cars. I have had no problems whatsoever from it. Before that I was using Motorcrafts semi-synthetic 5-20.

Razor.

·
Registered
510 Posts
How about Redline Synthetic Oils? I've heard nothing but good things about them and it is a FULL synthetic. A couple of ponies can be gained there ;) Every little bit helps

·
Registered
111 Posts
From what I hear Redline oil is supposed to be very good. I personally use 10w30 Mobil 1. I feel these engines with the kinda power they produce could use a little more protection...Thats just my thnking I guess car runs good

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys. I have to say, I thought I was developing an oil usage problem in my road car, a 2001 Olds Intrigue, 3.5L DOHC. I began using Mobil 1, after the first dealer oil change at 3000 miles and made an honest effort to change the oil between 3-4K miles. A few months ago, at about 35K miles, the low oil light came on. I check the oil and find I’m like two quarts down. There were no leaks or other problems that would account for this. Up till this point, I never really checked the oil, since I was changing it every 3 – k miles anyway. But now I do start checking the oil…all the time, and find that I’m using a quart per 800-900 miles. So I switch back over to regular oil, and now go 3000 miles without adding a drop!

I’ve used Mobile 1 in my personal cars for a long time and never had any usage problems, but a good (Corvette) friend of mind said a lot of his late-model Vette buddies, himself included, switched to Amsoil or Redline for the same problem. I do know it is not uncommon for an engine to leak Mobil 1, where a physically thicker would not have leak.

Yesterday, the LISVTOA took a tour of the Edison NJ Assembly plant, and we had this conversation the car. One of the guys riding with me, who recently retired from British Airways, (technician, machinist, fabricator, and an all around knowledgeable guy) said oil usage with Mobil 1 was not uncommon and that it used to run though his BMW like water. After doing all his research, he switched over to Amsoil, as he felt, if it was good enough for the aircraft industry to use in (jet) turbine engines, it would be good enough for him.

Jimmy V and I have had this conversation a number of times, the fact that Mobil 1 is physically thinner (please no lecture of viscosity and molecular theory) than other oils. Actually, I used to refer to it as Mazzola. I posted this before and got flamed pretty good for it, but before my engine tick was fixed, the tick was loudest and most noticeable when I used Mobil 1 as compared to the FRESH Motorcraft.

I don’t drive the Mustang near enough to measure oil usage, since I change the oil based on time rather than miles, but I think I’m gonna stop using Mobile 1.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Strange, On my 96 Cobra i used Redline and it used oil until i switched to Mobil 1. I never used Amsoil Oil.
With propery seated rings i don't think you should use that much oil on your Intrigue.Useing a Quart every 8 to 9 hundred miles is exessive for a car like that.

jim v.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jimmy,
That's what I originally thought and went back to the dealer to report the condition and do a oil usage test, which is when we drained out the Mobil 1 and replaced with regular oil. It doesn't burn regular oil, up to 3000 miles, which is when I change it anyway.
Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts