A twist on the SC vs. TC debate

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default A twist on the SC vs. TC debate

First off I'd like to say that this forum is great. Truly knowledgeable members, no drama, and nothing but positive feedback; the exact opposite of another site. Anyway I have a question that has been bothering me for some time now. I did a search and found one thread that was close, but not exactly what I am after, so here goes:

I keep seeing new posts about rwhp #'s on whipple/kb sc'ers being between 420-470rwhp and similar torque, running on 9-12 psi.

Now from the other side of the fence, I see powerhouse/hellion TC'ers posting numbers that are very similar, 440-480rwhp but higher torque, also running on 8-10 psi.

My question is this, take one of each of these cars, with similar rwhp #'s, lets say 450rwhp to keep it easy. Line them up at the track/street, assuming driver/susp/gears/traction equal, which will be faster through the 1/4 mile?

and discuss...........

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Family_truckster's Avatar

Default Re: A twist on the SC vs. TC debate

Hey Claytone, welcome, you're right about the tone of this board being superior to others.... Well, the easy answer is that the car with the higher torque number will be a little quicker and hence would win but I think the more accurate answer is that the car with the better driver will win. I can almost certainly guarantee that there are a bunch of experienced track guys on this board driving lower hp/torque numbers than my car has but they would kick my butt at the track. If drivers are equal and everthing else is equal except torque, the question kind of answers itself. I know you're trying to delve into the characteristics of each power adder but the question doesn't have a definitive answer.

actually its not how much tq u have ,its when & for how long u have it

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array 06TorchVertGT's Avatar

Members of this board really are better behaved than elsewhere - but that question is like dropping a match in a pan of gasoline. There'll be tons of smoke and fire - but nobody standing when it's all over!

having a little more TQ helps but there is other "things" that can make that a waste. I have always said the procharger or thother centries are the best bang for the buck.. The higher HP does make up for a little less tq and you spend 1K+ less.. the diring expwill be best though with ts and trubo.. all goes back to what you intend to do.. either way all are fun!

Obviously the car with the better torque curve will get there quicker, assuming traction and everything else equal. Nitrous cars are a perfect example of this. When the nitrous hits, the torque curve goes straight up and stays there.....which is good as long as you hook!

So, if the turbo is the correct size (no lag) and car is set up properly, I say turbo. But as already mentioned, its rarely as simple as that due to the many varibles. I like the fact that turbos do not have a belt, no broken tensioners, and no engine hp to drive it, unlike the S/C

Yeah... I got some.... Array chuckles's Avatar

LMAO!! Yeah, it certainly could be a drivers race. With hp numbers that close and "everthing else equal" I think there would be too many enviromental variables to contend with. The turbo may have more peak TQ, but it's also it a much smaller RPM window, and less usable throughout the RPM range than a T/S tq range.

true enough, I know it is a subjective question, and everyone is going to have their own opinions. I was just looking for a broad range of replies, and then I will decide out of what people post.

I would just hate to pull up to a whipple charged s197 and get burned after blowing 5k on my PH turbo, you know?( i know its a dramatization, but you get my point)

I think the issue about a S/C being 1K less is not as much as you think (Procharger D1 about 5K). I went back and forth on the issue for about 3 months and after talking with several experienced tuners and racers that have done each of the power adders it came down to turbo. They all informed me that the only reason you shouldn't go turbo is if it is absolutely out of your price range. I built a turbo system piece by piece that makes awesome power and is reliable and cost $5000.00. I have room to break 600-700rwhp for about $500.00 more at this point. Chalon drives it every day and we are happy with the day to day reliability and gas mileage you can only get with a turbo.
    Derek

You are forgetting rule #1 There is always someone faster than you.

Then there is rule # 2 Even if you are blown away by a ____________(insert ricebox here) they are still driving a ______________(insert ricebox here) while you are still driving a mustang.

Welcome to the best mod ford site on the net!!

Your question is loaded cause there are so many variables. I have seen S197 set-ups with 450 rwhp smoke set-ups with 550 rwhp.

I have switchd to a turbo but it is solely because of some belt and tensioner nightmares I was having. I probably could have eventually worked them out but I got fed up with it and wanted to never have to deal with a belt or tensioner issue again.

I was satisfied with the power I made on my s/c and the potential for power on my s/c and I could have ran just as fast and made just as much power as I plan on making with the turbo. I do not believe either to be superior to the other - just in my case and after my issues, I opted to switch to a turbo but my power goals have always been the same and were acheivable on either.

excellent! I really appreciate everyones responses. I have to admit I was a little biased toward going turbo before I posted, I just wanted to get some more opinions. So after 6 long months of trying to figure it out, I can now officially say I am going with the Powerhouse Turbo setup.

the only decision left is should I have it installed, or be bold and attempt it myself........decisions, decisions

Senior Member Array 06TorchVertGT's Avatar

the only decision left is should I have it installed, or be bold and attempt it myself
    I'll be able to answer that question for you in about 10 days when my PH turbo kit arrives (installing myself). I figured it can't be any harder than pulling/replacing a motor, or converting a manual drum brakes system to disc, or rebuilding front & rear suspension, or replacing trans & clutch - all of which I've done in my garage. That's coming from someone with very average mechanical experience. All it takes is tools, time, patience and beer. I'll post my experiences, good or bad, after I'm done.
    Did I mention beer?!
    Last edited by 06TorchVertGT; 10-16-2006 at 09:51 PM.

haha! the key ingredient. well hell, if you feel like taking a drive down to sunny south florida to help out on mine, let me know. i got lots of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyKiller View Post
    I have seen S197 set-ups with 450 rwhp smoke set-ups with 550 rwhp.
    Have you been watching my videos again? hehehe

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last