KB stock tune or SCT custom?

+ Reply to Thread

Default KB stock tune or SCT custom?

Hi Guys,
    I'm already running the KB stock tune 8 psi and the car is running great on 91 oct, has advertised we saw 25 degrees of timing on the first dyno check run and 23 on the second.
    I have no throttle response issues, the stout hot street car goal has been reached, it is a monster
    I'm debating if I should have it cutom retune at 17 degrees and 11.8 A/F for hot weather (next summer) safer detonation margin, also thinking about a bigger intercooler with dual fans.
    Need your feedback on this, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: KB stock tune or SCT custom?

Quote Originally Posted by rog06gt View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm already running the KB stock tune 8 psi and the car is running great on 91 oct, has advertised we saw 25 degrees of timing on the first dyno check run and 23 on the second.
    I have no throttle response issues, the stout hot street car goal has been reached, it is a monster
    I'm debating if I should have it cutom retune at 17 degrees and 11.8 A/F for hot weather (next summer) safer detonation margin, also thinking about a bigger intercooler with dual fans.
    Need your feedback on this, thanks.
    Have you read the details on the KB tune on KB's site? It has some details you should consider concerning A/F ratios, and timing. Also consider where you are reading the A/F ratio, wideband, or tailpipe, their will be a difference. Not steering you either way, but be sure to be fully informed on which method really has more margin for error.

Im Not Banned...yet Array 94tbird's Avatar

i have a custom tune, a custom race tune, and kb's tune. i run kb's tune on the street for al ltypes of daily driving. i run the race tune at the track. i never even touch the regular custom tune anymore. the KB tune is dead on even with the high timing. as long as your not seein or hearing pinping or knocking you good. also would consider moving to 93 octane if its avalible where you are. jsut an added protectino against pinging and knocking over 91

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

My opinion is get a custom dyno tune no matter what. I personally have had bad experiences in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthAuto View Post
    My opinion is get a custom dyno tune no matter what. I personally have had bad experiences in the past.
    I also had bad experiences with the KB tune. But if its good, then you are ok, but get a wideband and keep an eye on it and listen for detonation.

Senior Member Array

I love KB's tune. I am currently running it, and plan to keep running it untill I build my motor.

I also see 25 degrees of timing up top on a cold pull, but im not worried as I have confidence in KB's tuning ability.

I have also changed my pulley and upped the boost to 10lbs. and I am still running their tune. The A/F ratio stayed spot on too!

On the stock/slightly modified motor, I feel like spending the money to get a custom tune is a waste, at least with the KB kit.

Josh

Im Not Banned...yet Array 94tbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh @ PMP View Post
    I love KB's tune. I am currently running it, and plan to keep running it untill I build my motor.

I also see 25 degrees of timing up top on a cold pull, but im not worried as I have confidence in KB's tuning ability.

I have also changed my pulley and upped the boost to 10lbs. and I am still running their tune. The A/F ratio stayed spot on too!

On the stock/slightly modified motor, I feel like spending the money to get a custom tune is a waste, at least with the KB kit.

Josh
    +1

I am running the KB tune and have to be very careful in hot weather to avoid ping. Occationally I get a bad tank of gas and it can be a problem. When I do get ping it's usually not in boost, but right after shifting when the rpm's drop. Of course I get right out of the throttle. If it did happen under boost though...

It didn't seem to make any difference in the ping whether I was at 8psi or 9psi. I don't want to back off the timing, actually want to increase to 12psi, and have installed a snow water/meth injection to get rid of the ping.

Hopefully I will get time to dial in the snow kit soon and will post results.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks guys, I can read between the lines, I'll keep the KB tune and invest in a gordsford performance heat exchanger with dual electric fans, when the air temperature is going to be hot & muggy I'll switch to 94 oct.

12. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread