Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have gotten in the 7's with a mod setup on a drag radial. And what is the fastest time todate. Looking for something to shoot for.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts

We were the first in the 7's with the 4.6L Drag Radial combo and the 5.4L Drag Radial combo.

With the red car the 7's were run with a single GT47/88.

In the white car we ran 6 passes in a row in the 7's. Best being a 7.73 @ 185.9 mph (5.0 @ 148.77 mph) at only 26 lbs of boost (3200 lbs). It was also on the little 275/60/15 Radial.

During a test session for Toyo Tires (Prototype 325 Drag Radial) we went 7.90 @ 181 mph. That was with an NMRA Legal 88mm Turbo and I believe we weighed 3200-3250 lbs.

As mentioned above Kolivas also ran a 7.99 and that was on a 325 BFG radial which in my eye's is the only true radial tire out there. The M/T Radials are just slicks with grooves.

As time goes on you will see more people running 7's as not only are more people starting to run them in heads up situations but technology changes year to year.
In Outlaw Drag Radial trim I can not see why a Mod Motor wont be running 7.40's or quicker soon enough.

Take a look at what the white car did. The 7.73 was with 26 lbs of boost and only had a 1.36 (60ft) ... If I remember correctly.

Put a 325 mickey or 315 mickey on and knock a good tenth just off the 60 ft and your close to high 7.50's. A 98mm or 101 mm Turbo will give the old girl enough steam to get in the high 7.40's.

The sort of racing we do is class racing so we are usually running under strict rules.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were the first in the 7's with the 4.6L Drag Radial combo and the 5.4L Drag Radial combo.

With the red car the 7's were run with a single GT47/88.

In the white car we ran 6 passes in a row in the 7's. Best being a 7.73 @ 185.9 mph (5.0 @ 148.77 mph) at only 26 lbs of boost (3200 lbs). It was also on the little 275/60/15 Radial.

During a test session for Toyo Tires (Prototype 325 Drag Radial) we went 7.90 @ 181 mph. That was with an NMRA Legal 88mm Turbo and I believe we weighed 3200-3250 lbs.

As mentioned above Kolivas also ran a 7.99 and that was on a 325 BFG radial which in my eye's is the only true radial tire out there. The M/T Radials are just slicks with grooves.

As time goes on you will see more people running 7's as not only are more people starting to run them in heads up situations but technology changes year to year.
In Outlaw Drag Radial trim I can not see why a Mod Motor wont be running 7.40's or quicker soon enough.

Take a look at what the white car did. The 7.73 was with 26 lbs of boost and only had a 1.36 (60ft) ... If I remember correctly.

Put a 325 mickey or 315 mickey on and knock a good tenth just off the 60 ft and your close to high 7.50's. A 98mm or 101 mm Turbo will give the old girl enough steam to get in the high 7.40's.

The sort of racing we do is class racing so we are usually running under strict rules.
My orginal goal when i started buiting my car was to run in outlaw drag radial. But at that time they weren't this fast. I hear they have gone 6.90's now. Can't compete. I ran in a nopi class but now thats gone, and there is nothing for a twin turbo mod motor. At least not on the east coast. So i'm gonna run 8.50 index and go out now and then and go all out. My car weighs 3400 with me in it. And with a converter change i believe it will go 8.0, 7.9's. But we'll find out this spring. I can still loose some weight in the car and go bigger turbo's. but what is the point even if i could go 7.50 or anyone could you're still way out gunned now. We need like a 7.0L mod motor and 2500-3000 horse power to compete.

·
Registered
188 Posts
if you're talking about the modular motor... no one has gone faster than John Milhovetz of Accufab who clocks 6.25 second passes... that is on a tube chassis so I don't know if that counts for your drag radial question.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know about that car but it weighs nothing. Totally different.
Yes, it has nothing to do with a drag radial car. Put a radial under there, add 700-800 lbs and put a converter/auto trans in and see what happens.

Your best bet Jacked Cobra would be to change that thing over to a single turbo which will open the door to many sanctioning bodies.
You could still do Outlaw/Local stuff if you wanted with something like a 94mm or put a GT4788 on and go NMRA racing, all the races are on the east coast pretty much.
Your converter will be very important if you decided to change over to a large single with a mod motor.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bet it will be. I've had many problems with it twined. Right now its way off I get about only a 200 rpm drop between shifts, Its slipping bad And still went 8.3 @169. All that nmra stuff is to far from me I think. I'm about 45 mins from e-town. Were are all the races and what are the pay outs. Going to a single would be like starting over again. They should let mod motor twins in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts