Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Do you street race? Why or why not?

46K views 159 replies 82 participants last post by  Myth Hall 
#1 ·
I don't go out looking for it, but if it comes to me, sometimes it's hard to resist!

During the last summer, I had a 02' Viper (ported heads, cam, ect) come for some and an n/a, Ligenfelter C6 car, I made both cars give me my race (30 roll) and handed both of them there a$$es. :beerchug: Both times on secluded sections of interstate with no intersecting roads and up to about 120mph or approx. half of 4th. These weren't planned runs, both cars found me.

What are your experiences and do you do it?

#2 ·
Yes I do, I have calmed down some in the past year.

I avoid any type of streetrace that isnt in a desolate location, controlled enviroment, or well thought out. If disregard the above and take it too crowded streets, unthought spontaneous racing or locations, that is usually when you find yourself in jail, or someone hurt or killed or if your lucky a ticket and a slap on the wrist.

Of course with a thread like this you are gonna get people who will condemn you, say its the worse thing since murder, so be ready for it. Anyone who has owned a cobra, modded or stock for anypart, and stomped on it for 3 gears fully on a public roadway has probably broken enough traffic laws to go to jail. So get ready for the hipocritical BS to start in this one.

#3 ·
You feel like sharing any funny stories Broke?

#4 ·
I do alot of racing on the street..allthough at our local scene we are not complete idiots..we have a good few selected roads that we may visit every so often late late at night, in the middle of nowhere..pretty much a non populated road and make some runs..its all in good fun....now if i were crusing down the road and an F-body was reving at me trying to jump at me...i would prolly just drop a gear and take off then just shut down..i dont really like going super fast (mph wise) i like the feel of accellerating more then saying i went 160mph!! and i would never perticipate in racing on a very heavily trafficed road or highway

#40 · (Edited)
...i dont really like going super fast (mph wise) i like the feel of accellerating more then saying i went 160mph!! and i would never perticipate in racing on a very heavily trafficed road or highway
Yeah, same here, I just love the feeling of acceleration; there's just not enough room now to feel safe lettin' it all hang out, but I do like terrorizing some of the local winding back roads on my own.

I'll never forget my most fun run though. It was a six lane, divided blacktop, straight and level. After the last traffic light, it's about a mile til the next. There were 3 of us in my car coming back late one night. My car then (gonna date myself here) was an Electric Blue, 1968 Plymouth Barracuda, Formula-S fastback with factory Hi-perf 383, Carter AVS, Hurst 4-speed and limited slip. I was in the center lane and at the last 3 lights, a 289 (single exhaust) Mustang was pulling up next to me in the left lane, revin' and taking off from the light.

At the 4th light, I told the guys with me, "watch this, I'm gonna blow his doors off." So, I was concentrating on the light and the car to the left. The light changes, I give it about 1/2 to see if he's gonna really try, and all of a sudden, on my right side I hear this waaaaaaaaa and see the front end of a '67 GTO starting to come past me. I didn't even see him pull up next to me. So he's got it floored, I floor it, we both hit second at the same time and just barely avoided wrecking. I power shifted and my rear slid into his lane. The guys with me told me he shifted exactly the same time and his rear swung over also so I didn't clip him. They said it look like he might have caught a little bit of the curb. Anyway, we were dead even on 2 to 3rd and finally about half way through 3rd, I started pulling on him, very slowly.

Damn that was fun! The guys in the car with me said that it was a guy and his date in the GTO and that the guy had an ear to ear grin the whole time. It could have been a nasty memory, but fortunately, it turned out just the opposite.

#5 ·
I am an ole guy and can't drive, so nobody wants to race me anyway. I did do some racing in my distant past, but always in remote locations. Nowadays, in Texas, getting caught street racing will cost you your license, and they will take your stuff away - that is just not worth it.
If a person were to do some test n tune on the street all by themselves, they could be ticketed, but that is not "racing". I have seen some ole guys do something like that.

#7 · (Edited)
Hell yes I street race!!! Like broke said I have com down in the past fews also because the laws have changed alittle and I am alittle older. But I still setup races during the week away from all the everyone and late late at night. Also I will go c5 hunting any chance I can. I don't get picked on by camaros or mustangs mostly vettes. After I got my 2.8 put on I raced a freind that trapped 114 in his frc. I pulled him by alittle over a car by 140. I was shXtting in tall cotton when a few days later a C6 ran up on me on my way home. I seen the cut in the hood area and was like shxt. The guy jumped and me I knew I did have anything for him but I stood on it anyway. The C6 Z06 ass is kinda sexy from 10 cars back. I was like damn...well you can't win them all. I was telling my girl friend about the race on the way to walmart two days later when a 05 GTO went by. I figured screw it I see if he wants some. I pulled up along side and jumped at him. He jumped back with a roots sound. A damn 05 LS2 with full exhaust,2.6 magnacharger on dr's. I lost by a car lenght by 145. He ran a 11.8 at 119 on dr's lifting threw first when it would wheel hop. So needless to say time for more bolt ons because I will seek rematches.

#8 ·
I used to street race, but am pretty retired from it. I will come out of semi-retirement for one reason--my brother in-law. He runs around telling everybody that will listen that he kicked my car's ass (03 Cobra) with his stock Infiniti G35 when I came to Richardson, TX from New Mexico to buy my car. Claims he killed me on I-35 from three different speed rolling starts after I took delivery of the car and "foolishly" challenged him. Therefore, I will make the 650 mile drive to Arlington from my house and race him on his neighborhood street, with the engine still hot from the drive, in front of his friends and neighbors, just to shut his silly arse up!!! Haha, he's one silly dude...

#10 ·
Same here. I have layed off of it a lot due to laws and such, but I'll race on the street but with a few stipulations. No crowded streets, nowhere that there will be pedestrians, not in downtown where there is a strong possibility of somebody pulling off another road in front of me. Normally it's somebody I've met or know. Most ppl wanting some action hang out at the gas station and we'll go from there. I know a nice straight road that has no houses and has a 4 mile section where there are no roads to turn off of. 9 times outta 10 it happens there and it's planned and we have a spotter at the end of the stretch. Never in a residential area and always at night, no traffic. If I'm driving around I'll drop into 2nd and run it till about 70 or so. I've run cars in town where the limit is 45 and I'll pull to 55 or so from about a 20 roll, just enough to jump someone and show em' they ain't got what it takes;) It might not be the safest thing in the world but how many of you have heard of ORM? Make it as safe as possible pretty much, eliminate as many hazards as possible. You're right Broke, hypocrytical bs.:argue:

#12 ·
I live in Los Angeles on the west side near the beach and there are no safe places to race anymore.

25 years ago I would go out every Sat night. Made a lot of money street racing. I quit the first time some of the brothers pulled out their "nines" to settle an argument. No point dying for a lousy two or three grand.

After that I would go out and race at the dry lakes, no speed limit out there.

Plus, in the years that I have been driving I have watched So Cal go from 9 drag strips to two. And the remaining two suck!

#13 ·
I used to do alot of street racing which in several ways has led to my license being suspendid. Well i just got my license back and say that i wont street race anymore but its goin to be so hard to turn down a race when a viper/vette/supra starts talkin smack. So honestly i dont go lookin for it anymore but if somebodys talkin hard ill throw down.

#14 ·
I do it, I find as I have gotten older I am alot more selective then my younger days but I still do it way to much. Its funny when I was young I would do it anytime anywhere now its only on remote roads with no traffic. I am sure I will do it less and less as I get older but I am sure I will always do it to some degree its just too much fun to not do it.

#15 ·
i do to a point only to so fast. i like to tromp it and take off from my victims let them know who is boss nad leave it at that.

with only having the car for 4 hrs.....i had this cheesedi&k hunt and follow me for about 2 miles. he finally caught me, he was in an 89 -92 mustang. he pulled up beside me and i could here the lump in the cam his g/f was looking over his shoulder and smirking at me. i asked him if his car was done up. he replied "oh yeah" i thought i was a gonner i told him i was stock ( which was true)......i still hadnt put the car to the test..... needless to say i waxed him. he pulled up beside me and said " that car isnt stock as his g/f stared at the floor. WHAT A RUSH

#16 ·
I got arrested for street racing back in 1987 when I was 20 years old. Had a 67 mustang with a 428. Penalty was a $500 fine and the car impounded 1 day. This actually lead me to find LACR and at the time Riverside International Raceway, Terminal Island, Famoso. Been racing at the track ever since--now Irwindale. I still will screw around a little bit when conditions are right, but never organized street racing. Nowadays the penalties are just too big to risk it. I don't know for sure, but I heard 1000 fine and your car impounded for 30 days (first offense). At $70 a day that would be another $2100! 2nd offense they take your lic and your car

I seem to remember a select few of us that would go out during the week to select spots (usually in industrial parks) to avoid crowds and getting caught. Its different these days....

#17 ·
we do the same thing around here. we usualy race in industrial parks were there r no people late at night with two spotters one at the finish line and one at the entrance as a watch out for cops and cars although i havent gone to a street race in about 3 mth since a friend of mine died cause he was racing on a road he didnt knew nothin about and and lost control at 150 and hit a phone poll in the driver door snaped the poll in half he was ejected and well ill leave it at that cause u dont want to know about the rest.but he was in a 05 f-250 turbo diesle he had hotrodded the 250 looked like a ranger last time i seen it. good thing was i wasnt there that night or i would have probly tried to ride with him

#18 ·
#19 ·
I have, but I try not too. I have never raced like some of the stories I read about running up past 120mph. I won't take my car past 80. I could care less who pulls the hardest from 80 to 130. Not going there. I want to live atleast another 40years. For all you high speed racers, be safe!:beerchug:

#20 · (Edited)
I used to all the time about 12 yers ago, but never spontanious....it was always in the same 3 locations (depending on the time of day)!

Plus after losing my license for 8 years (yes I have it back now), it realy just isn't worth the risk! They're alot harder these days as opposed to my late teens early twentys!

FYI:
Street racing in what you think is a controlled enviroment will do nothing but give you a false sense of security! Not ranting on you, just warning you....ask me how I know!
Oh Yea....the 8 year thing was for "Habitual Traffic Violator" and we'll leave it at that......some kids (me) learned the hard way!:blink:

Ken:beerchug:

#21 ·
The last cars I raced on the street were a modded EVO8 and some old ass Sentra with a built motor and a turbo. We went from 50-130 a couple times. Both cas were about dead even with mine, 13 psi Whipple at the time. The Sentra kept going on ahead, the Evo hung around. We came to a spot were we were going to go again, slowed down, downshifted, hammered it, and cop lights came on from behind about 1/2 mile back. We both immediately let out, and the cop switched off his lights and took an exit we had just past. We both looked at each other like WTF? Got lucky that time. I haven't done any real pulls on public roads since. I did mess with a loud ass GT one night, but that was just a quick punch for a second or two.

#24 ·
I do NOT race in urban areas, not because I care about being caught but because I could never forgive myself if I hurt someone.
+1

Anyone care to share any funny experiences?

On the two I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, both Guy's were looking at me like easy prey, you should have seen the look of the Vette Guy's face! Oh, I forgot to mention that my insurance agent was with me when I ran the Vette, 100% true. He was all, "this is most fun I've had in a car, ever!!!" he kept yelling that! :towel:

#25 ·
I street race quite abit but it is always in a non-urban area, industrial park, and always late at night. We had a pretty good scene around here up until recently. We were very organized and kept the crowd down to a minimum. But, we got a few bad apples and before you knew it, we had every ricer in the town finding us. This wasn't a big deal, they would always leave and come back, wh/ always pissed me off, but then the last two times, a cop showed up, and the last time I was out, he showed up when I was lining up w/ a sprayed MachI. He was really cool and said that we were lucky that he stopped us before something happened. Wh/ is bullcrap becuase he turned his lights on and pulled behind the MachI when we turned around after the first race. He just said don't do it on his streets, he used to when he was a kid, but not to do it on "his" streets. He even let me change my tires back. I haven't been street racing since then. For one, it is winter and the roads are cold. And two, I just spent 2 days in jail for a speeding ticket (no I wasn't racing, just passing 3 cars at once on a back road, wrong place, wrong time).

But I still do it time to time, I will try and concentrate more on the track, but I have few fights to settle this coming spring, but they are going to be small and spur of the moment so the ricers and cops don't have a chance. We always used police scanners and spotter on both ends w/ two way radios.

Greg

#26 ·
I used to street race ALOT but after enough tickets, too many cops and a whole bunch of idiots hauling ass in moms 4cyl (Honda etc..) i gave up on it. The track is too close too cheap and much much safer and most of the retards on the street dont go there to play.

#27 ·
it is f-body country out here in ohio, so occasionally when the time comes I like to race a little, but my car has been down the last 3 weeks so nothing fun with it lately.. we all must admit it does get rather tempting when you have that particular "vette" owner they thinks he rules the road.. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.