Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I may break away from Cobra's for just a sec and talk drag racing....something didnt add up.

I was surfing the various forums out there and found this amazing looking and powerful Z-06 w/ Ligenfelter 427 twin turbo producing 735 hp / 650 tq. In his post he ... well hell, rather than paraphrase here it is.

It took me a couple of months to learn how to handle this power on the street. This was my first time on the track since the turbos were installed. I was running street tires. I made 10 runs. On the last 4 runs the car was stumbling somewhat around 4500 rpms and I backed off. Not sure what was the cause. None of the runs were smooth. On some of the runs I wheel hopped in 1st, 2nd & 3rd. On a couple of the runs I hit the rev limiter in one or more gears. The tack in the window is way too slow. On some of the runs the car in the other lane would get me off the line by 2 or 3 lenghts, yet I would reel them in by the time we hit the traps. My best time was 12.098 at 126.13 mph. All my 60' times were in the 2.1 to 2.2 seconds range. I feel confident that I could get the car into the mid 11's (maybe even the low 11's) on the street tires with practice.

I decided to check out what John Lingenfelter did on street tires at the 2002 Car & Driver Super Car Challenge. This was a combination score with road coarse, braking and quarter mile runs. John came in first of all the tuners with his combined score. However, when I studied his 1/4 times I was surprised to see his best was 12.29 seconds. His best mph was 132.35. After that I did not feel so bad.

I am still deciding what to do about tires. If I go to ET Streets I will have to take off the rear Brembo's and go back to the stock calipers. The alternate is to wait a couple of months for BFG & Nitto to come out with their 18" drag radial that fit the Corvette.

Today I was surprised by a call from Breathless informing me that my 12.09 second run won 1st place in my class and they were sending me a trophy. Perhaps I was the only one running in my class.

To be 885HP with install of variable boost controller scheduled summer 2003

It just seems that w/ that much hp / tq the times would be lower, much lower. From what I've seen in here and around 03 Cobra's w/ less hp are turning out far better results. Am I missing something?

Sorry for the War and Peace post btw :D

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
What a beautiful car.

To answer your question, I believe the limiting factor is the most obvious one i.e. traction. For that much power to be controlled in that car and especially our Cobras, major suspension work would need to be done. The trick I believe is finding the balance between max power and the suspension to handle it in more than just a straight line.

Arthur

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well said Arthor. The 60ft should be in the 1.6 around there , maby 1.8 ,- 2.somthing ,is no good he is doing somthing wrong !
he has to come out much easier, slip the clutch. his mph is pritty close, This would still only net him .6 in the 1/4 that car would run . 11.4 11.2 . I have seen them at atco runing 10.2 some runing 10.8 with Ling. motors. They Drove the cars in . and looked basickly stock . nitro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was the guy who posted first time at the trak w/ the new turbo mod so I could understand his traction issue but the thing that suprised me was his 2nd paragraph re: what John Lingenfelter did on street tires at the 2002 Car & Driver Super Car Challenge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Traction is definitely a big limiting factor. 735hp and 650tq is a lot to handle on street tires. If he put some DRs, he'd be in the 10s easy, and if he had some ET Streets, LOW 10s are a guarantee.

The reason 03s are doing high 11s with less power is because their power is low enough to give them traction on street tires, w/o smoking them up. And yet high enough to get a good time.

·
Just another old guy
2,284 Posts
Vrrooom said:
Traction is definitely a big limiting factor.

The reason 03s are doing high 11s with less power is because their power is low enough to give them traction on street tires, w/o smoking them up.
Exactly. You can't get it down the track if you can't hook it up. I suspect when the turbo's spool up it just blows the tires right off. Put a set of slicks on and I bet it would fly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Makes sense to me. I run 11.7 range on nittos. I would never run street tires at that level thats just asking for a mistake specially with a driver who is not expierenced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
c5's have a little problem with weight transfer as well. i had a 99 z28 mostly stock except for the free or very cheap mods and i was never beat by a similarly modded c5 (in 1320 that is) low profile tires and no weight transfer or squat is a bad combo for draggin' :nono

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure which it was but I saw a '99 Vette with an ATI Supercharger (not sure what else he had done) run 9.8 (as far as i remember it was 9.8) in the quarter. "one of the fastest street legal vettes" is what the announcer said.
Good traction though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts