Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Hood pin install version 4.0: lift off hood

9K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  S197 GT 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am the first to admit this is not for everyone.

I pinned all four corners of the hood so I can lift off the hood completely while working on the car. I hate working around the hood--and I work on my car alot so to me it is worth it. (Add to the fact that my stock hinges/hood/windshield/front bumper was destroyed and it was time for a change).

So the idea was to mount the front pins using existing holes with no drilling into the car itself. For the rear--I had to drill two holes into the car. Bascially I used 3/16" steel plates which use the radiator mounting bolts on the top of the crossmember (see pics). I also used the same bolts to attach the pin cables. Then you mount the hood pins to the plate--outboard enough so the radiator cover will clear without having to cut that. This plate is also about 1/2 inch above the crossmember--enough space to put the 2nd nut right below the plate--thereby mounting the hood pin with a nut above and below the plate. Needless to say the hood is rock solid now.

Put on a new hood, new front bumper, battery relocation kit, new gauge panel, getting the new windshield in a couple of days---getting ready to hit the track hopefully in a couple of weeks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
#8 ·
Paul I would keep 4 or 5 extra hood pins in your glove box. Just incase you drop one and cant find it. Also some of my friends have had theirs stolen so watch out for those pricks.

#9 ·
Paul I would keep 4 or 5 extra hood pins in your glove box. Just incase you drop one and cant find it. Also some of my friends have had theirs stolen so watch out for those pricks.
Yep--the pins survived--so now I have two extra which are already in the glove box.

#10 ·
Paul,

Get yourself four large pieces of foam rubber about 8"L X 4"W X 4"H...glue them to the underside of the hood anyplace you can that you have room close to the four corners. That way, you can take your hood off, set it on the roof your car at the track (or in the garage) and not damage the paint on the roof or the hood and the hood is out of the way so it doesn't get knocked over or stepped on.... I hate working around the hood, too!

#11 ·
Paul,

Get yourself four large pieces of foam rubber about 8"L X 4"W X 4"H...glue them to the underside of the hood anyplace you can that you have room close to the four corners. That way, you can take your hood off, set it on the roof your car at the track (or in the garage) and not damage the paint on the roof or the hood and the hood is out of the way so it doesn't get knocked over or stepped on.... I hate working around the hood, too!
I am using the stock insulation on the underside of the hood. I can place it flat on the top of the car with no contact to the paint at all. I also have foam mats on the garage floor, so I can place the hood to the side when working on the car without worrying about damaging the paint.

#12 ·
Looks really good! Great job!

Sorry to hear about the explosion! This is the first I've heard of it.

Do you know when the car will be ready?

#14 ·
Looks really good! Great job!

Sorry to hear about the explosion! This is the first I've heard of it.

Do you know when the car will be ready?
I am hoping to put in the long block and the whipple this weekend or next weekend--then off to the track on the 12psi pulley---then after a couple of weeks I am going to get the 8-rib upgrade from GI Joe and go to 16 psi. Hoping for at least 6.9-7.0's in the 1/8th--and when I get the bar in high 10's in the quarter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.