Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member here for a long time, i forgot my password and haven't logged in for a while.
Figured i would post up my latest project, putting a 4.6 DOHC and 4r70w into a '79 Mercury Zephyr 2dr box top roller that i bought locally right when covid started.
It was a carbed 6cyl automatic with single exhaust and P/S and P/B. That was it for options. No AC, crank windows, nothing is power on this car. I like the simplicity of it. It was built in New Jersey and sold in CT where it lived its life until the guy i bought it from ended up with it.

The engine is a '94 Teksid block with Terminator heads and Mach1 intake. 96-98 Cobra intake cams, custom cam timing, ARP crank/cam bolts, high volume oil pump, 1 piece crank gear. Nothing too fancy. Just a nice reliable runner. Trans is 2001 4r70w with circle D 3600 stall converter. Again, nothing crazy just decent.
Suspension is all Team Z, tubular K and control arms, 10 way adj strange coil overs with caster/camber plates. Rear suspension is double adj tubular control arms, 10 way strange shocks and Team Z drag springs. Stifflers trans x member and driveshaft loop. Replaced the steering rack(the original was leaking at the input shaft) with one from LMR. Team Z bump steer kit and offset rack bushings.
94-95 spindles and 8.8 swapped (5 lug) with 4.10 gears. Front brakes are aluminum 2-piston calipers with 12" vented rotors, rears are North Race Cars caliper brackets and new edge rotors and calipers. 99-04 Hydroboost is mounted with Maximum Motorsports mounting flange and pedal setup.
Fuel system is return style, stock tank with custom fabricated fuel hat, Walbro 255lph pump, Aeromotive fuel filter, fuel rails & regulator. AN-6 ptfe lines throughout. flow-matched 30lb injectors.
Exhaust is just stock manifolds with BBK x pipe and flowmaster mufflers and tails.

The body is bone stock, original paint. I did have to repair some rot in the cowl area, and a couple holes in the floor up front in the corners near the firewall. The car had no rugs when i bought it, still has no rugs but that is planned for spring. I junked the bench seat and got some 99 Mustang buckets and a Fairmont back seat. Found a "sport" steering wheel for it, dash is also stock.
The car has been hit before but just a couple small dents.
The car is surprisingly rust-free for its age. I have no plans to paint the car, i have done nothing to it even still has the bumper stickers from when i bought it.

After wiring up the entire car, i decided that the stock ECM left a lot to be desired, so ordered a Holley Terminator X Max. Very, very happy with the system so far. i kept the stock fox dash and gauges, just gas gauge and cable speedo. Everything else is displayed on the Holley 3.5" display. Holley also runs the Black Magic 185 fan, and Meziere elec water pump. Radiator is 3-row aluminum unit from Frostbite. B&M hi-tek trans cooler with fan and AN lines. Drivers head has cooling mod and the stock coolant x over has been deleted in favor of a modularspeed thermostat housing and fittings. Heater core has been retained using Wonder Racing fittings and custom return pipe under the intake.

This isn't a race car, it's just a fun car to drive around in. It is an absolute blast to drive. It is definitely loud with no rugs. The part i like best is the car gets zero attention. No one even looks twice at it which i love. i like to fly under the radar.

Here is the car when i bought it:

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pics of cowl rot repair. had to remove the windshield(it broke coming out) and drill out the spot welds on the cowl and remove that to access the damage. Made a new vent opening, cut out the rotted metal and welded in new metal. This was leaking water right on top of all the wires that are right underneath.

I used rust converter paint, and brushable seam sealer on this, as well as some weld-through primer on the seams. It passed the garden hose test, no leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts